1987 Mondial Heater Water Pump Switch Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1987 Mondial Heater Water Pump Switch Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ceb39, Aug 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Any update on your inquiries at the BMW shops?

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    My big MB uses a dual monovalve, $$$$. Need to replace mine as well, but dang it doesn't get that cold around here to worry about it. Stupid design that fails regularly and the cartridge is a waste of money, so is the whole valve but that's what it is.

3. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
  4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #30 porphy, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Steve, I was able to find a 2008 valve in a German junk yard at a very reasonable price and have made two of the measurements that you have requested.

The resistance of the solenoid coil is 14.5 Ohms

The heater hose connectors are 20 mm diameter. The diameter of the barbed portion is is approx. 23mm so these measurements are the same as the 2013 valve.

Since my 2013 valve is out and available I can say that the mounting holes of the 2008 are exactly the same as the 2013 valve.

So, I would speculate that the only characteristic confirmation we need would be internal.

I look forward to your comments. Randy

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thanks for posting the information Randy. Can't disagree with you -- either the difference is something really subtle and hidden (but I'm thinking that unlikely since there's only the one "mono valve repair kit" available), or Bosch just assigned two different part numbers for the same gizmo since they were selling it to two different auto makers ;)

6. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I hope you are right and certainly the existence of the single mono-valve repair kit tends to that conclusion. We have examples of Ferrari having part numbers that are exclusively theirs. Will you measure the coil resistance on your 2013 just to see if there is any difference? Regards,
    Randy

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Let me check my notes tonight, but, IIRC, it's very similar to what you've posted -- something like ~15 Ohms.

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Sounds like we have no data to indicate that the 2008 cannot be used to replace the 2013? So I guess somebody should try it?

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The two ...2013 water valves that I've had in my possession measured 14.7 ohms and 15.0 ohms with a multimeter (very low current) at room temperature, but current measurements that I've made during real operation (.71A~.78A) indicates the coil winding heats up a little and the resistance during long term operation is more like 16~17 ohms.

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Sounds like there is no real difference between the two valves unless you think there might be other possibilities for differences. My resistance measurement was also made at very low current and at about 55 degrees F.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Agree (and, even if there is something different that we haven't found yet, it's not like risking that the engine would blow up ;)).

12. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
  13. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Did anyone ever make a definitive decision on what replacement part or kit to use here?

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    "Wife told me should would not ride in the car during the summer without A/C ..."

And the problem is ...

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    just wanted to update that Mercedes is back to providing the mono valve part alone, 000-835-06-44 for $39... up till recently the aftermarket parts have been junk. Not having torn apart the 013 valve assy I can not say that the mono valve repair kit is 100% the same across the board but for BMW/Mercedes they all use the same one.

17. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    If your plunger is the problem this will be useful. If the electromagnetic coil is bad I believe the entire assembly will have to be replaced.
    Bosch has a "Classic" department I found quite useful. I had a nice conversation with a Bosch Rep @ Retromobile where they had a big booth.

18. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Reviving an old-ish thread. As it turns out the 456GT uses the same solenoid valve as the Mondial. Following a "no-heat" situation in my car I am willing to try out the MB mono valve part, 000-835-06-44 replacement. Hey, beats spending $300 on a new unit!

I have a question of a logistical nature: can the MB part it be swapped with the shell unit in situ or does the shell need to be removed? I am asking because removing it does require quite a few additional steps to make sure coolant isn't spilled, etc. In fact... is there any easy way to remove the shell unit without causing a coolant disaster?

19. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    The resistance of the solenoid coil in the two valves (008 and 013) are identical. I speculate that they are identical and the 013 is a Ferrari-only part. If you can put up with a few German words, check out the specialized used BMW junkyards in Germany. Search "gebrauchte BMW ersetzteile" in Google.de. Or ebay.de.
    I think that 008 is also used in some Rolls-Royce/Bentley models.

20. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Update: I swapped in the MB mono valve part, 000-835-06-44 replacement and... I have heat! All heater functions are now working according to specifications, hence it's safe to say the MB valve is fully compatible with the Ferrari/Bosch valve.

Hope this helps!