1987 Testarossa suspension and brake refresh. TR #71387 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1987 Testarossa suspension and brake refresh. TR #71387

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    #26 kartboy1234, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I took one shock apart when I got home. Turns out the spring compressor I ordered was a few inches too short when the spring is fully extended. So it shot the bottom clamp of one of the compressors down a hill when it ran out of threads. I am so happy I did that outside.

So....... I have a 5" longer compressor set coming in on Friday. Not my finest moment, but I got one apart and didn't break anything.

But to let everyone know the Koni sticker is 1.4"x1.4".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Are you sending out the Konis to rebuilt?

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.

I took my shock/springs apart on a hydraulic press. Made a jig with a bolt and C channel top and bottom to capture shock bushings.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    fan # 5 :)
    looks good what you do

5. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I love these threads and the fact you are doing it yourself. Fan #6 checking in.

6. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I am still deciding if I want Koni to rebuild them or not. The first one didn't feel too bad, but it had been 30 years. So I will ask them for a quote. I wish I had a press to take them apart with. Sadly I don't have the space for one. For now the spring compressor works.

7. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I spoke with Performance Shock Inc in Sonoma CA. They can rebuild, sandblast and paint, and press in my bushings for about $260 each. That is pricey but I only want to do this once. So I will strip down my shocks and see if they need rebuilding. It's a 3-4 week turnaround time currently.

The costs are adding up, but I need to do this right and fix it the first time.

8. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    #33 kartboy1234, Mar 30, 2017
  9. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Note: Those aren't my fans.

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Be a regular....

Subscribe!

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

11. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Yea I need to get around to that. I'll do it when I get home.
    I wish that I had picked a different username, but oh well.

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Michael, You know the Koni's are adjustable for wear? I believe they are not pressurized, so it should not be difficult to rebuild yourself. I can't believe you are working outside. But then you live in California with good weather.

13. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I have sent out my master cylinder and a brake line to Karps power brakes to be rebuilt. They will rebuild the unit and make 4 rubber brake likes. Eta is about 10 days.

I did not know that they are adjustable. I will research them once I get home. If I can rebuild them easily then it could be fun to do.

Yea working outside isn't the best, but I needed room around the car to take it apart and to sand off the rust. It has been in the 65 to 75 degree range and sunny. So it has been pretty nice. I have been looking for a workshop or a large garage to rent around me. So if anyone has any leads, I am open to them.

14. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    #39 kartboy1234, Mar 30, 2017
    Because I like lists, here is a picture of my current Excel list of everything left to do. I am still adding more to it as I think of it. It's a slow process but it's coming along.

15. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nice, you're Project Managing yourself. Keep it up

16. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Like everything Ferrari related, I am going to go way over budget. Spoke with a shock guy here at work and he says that I should rebuild mine. So I'll be shipping them off to get them rebuilt. I was quoted about $500 a shock to make them brand new, replating hardware, painting, powder coat springs, press in new bushings. So I'll be spending $3000 on that it seems. That is the max price I could pay, it could be a little less, though not by much.

I have to keep telling myself that I have to do this right, and only do it once.

17. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    It's always like that with these cars.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    michael,
    I think for this amount you will get new ones? if available???

19. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    The shock people said that they could completely rebuild everything to a like new state. A new shock alone is $500 and that doesn't include cleaning up the hardware and spring. I will research the shocks some more. I will take them apart and inspect the for issues. But tomorrow I am going hiking, so no update then. I will be working on cutting the suspension bushings out on Sunday.

20. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    Really enjoy yours pictures, and comments, nice to see what some of the replacement parts/refurbishment costs. May have missed it, what year is your TR, and how many miles on it?

21. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I want to be open about this whole process. I want to show people he work that can be done, how much it should cost and the work performed by shops. My car is a 1987 with 60,xxx miles on it. I plan on fixing everything slowly over time.

22. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There wasn't any air ducting on the front originally, that's why yours was zip-tied. The air comes in from the front grill and splits to the LH & RH air ducts ("conveyers") and exits at the front of the wheelwells--no flexible hoses were installed (on the front)

23. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    That makes sense. This car may have seen some track use by a previous owner. So zip tying air ducting to the brakes would make sense for them to do. I won't rush out and get new tubing then.

24. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    No real update from this weekend. I painted the front swaybar brackets. I also tried removing some bushings with very little success. So if anyone has tips, or can help be please let me know.

25. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    #50 kartboy1234, Apr 7, 2017
    Time for an update. I received my brake calipers back today from pmb brakes. The one that I pulled out of the box looks great. Two others are still being shipped but I received two. Can't wait to put them on.

I received my front brake rotors today, I figured that I should put new rotors on it.

I also bought a vibratory polisher, so I have been testing it out on some parts to see how well it works. Seems to be doing a decent job. I'm impatient, so I need to learn to let it run for a few hours.