1987 TR - Shoulder belts down retract | FerrariChat

1987 TR - Shoulder belts down retract

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jul 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey All-

The tracks along the windows work just fine. However the shoulder belts themselves don't seem to have any retract functioning. For now I've tucked them into their slots and just use the waist belts which work perfectly fine.

I'd like to resolve this problem- any suggestions on where to start?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The springs in the retractors could be weak, causing them to not retract. The retractors also have motors on them that help the belts spool out as the belt mouse moves along the track. Once the mouse reaches the end of its travel, then tension is applied to the belt again. If the system is working normally, you can feel the belt go loose as the mouse moves and then the belt slack will be pulled in when the mouse reaches the end of its travel at either the front or rear station.
    Unfortunately, you will probably not find someone that will fix your retractor if it is broken due to liability reasons.

The entire seat belt system was recalled in every USA TR made. Has the recall been performed on your car? The recall is still in effect, but Ferrari may not have any parts left to perform them. I did six or seven of them a couple of years ago, and had to get three kits to make one good one (as two of the new kits had defective parts in them) on the last recall that I did.

Check the seat belts as they will have a date code on the tag sewn to them from when they were made. This will give you an idea if the belts were replaced. Also you could contact your local dealer with your VIN to see if the recall was performed.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Ferrari made a repair manual just for this system and a special tester that checks the function of all of the switches and actuators. You will probably be hard pressed to find a dealer with either one, or even knows how to use it if they have one. When I worked at the dealership, I found the tester and used it to diagnose a malfunctioning system. No one else at the dealership even knew what it was let alone how it it worked.

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I seriously in my 87 moved the retractors in to the permanent, non retractable position by letting them go to their optimal closed position and then passing them further down the line where they don't try to retract anymore. Basically, they're constantly in the across-the-chest position and I just lost them over my head on ingress and egress. I've had too much to drink tonight so let me know if I'm not making sense.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Take it back to the dealer for a free repair. Maybe they’ll charge for labour but not the full amount. I’ve done it and so have a few here.

6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sounds like a plan. Will call Algar Ferrari on Monday.

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Are you saying the belts automatically travel along the tracks correctly but once in the rearmost position the retractor won't take up the slack in the belt? Is this the case on both the driver and the passenger belts?

8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Correct.

9. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Seems odd they would both be doing the exact same thing...each belt system has it's own ECU (in the forward part of the central console) and the shoulder belts are actually two separate belt units bolted together--each has it's own retractor spring and it's own motor. As stated the dealer may replace the unit for you (if recall was already done), or maybe not (they definitely will if your recall was never performed). At this point it's hard to troubleshoot since both sides are acting the same. With the belts detached from the mouse if you extend them do they attempt to spool back up or is there zero rewind tension? Do they unwind smoothly? Despite the rubber "seals" in the console it could be possible something has fallen into the retract mechanism and jammed them (though I wouldn't expect both unless someone spilled a soda or something and the belts are stiff or the retractors are gunked up). If you are adventuresome you can take the assembly out fairly easily and inspect--I can walk you through that, just let me know.

Hope it works out for you, please keep us informed...and with no airbags and no shoulder belts please reconsider driving any more than you absolutely have to.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Exactly, there was a recall on the issue and Ferrari was repacking the entire system. I recalled speaking to a FNA rep years ago who was tracking the progress and he said oddly people were no brining in cars for the fix.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I don't know about Ferrari, but I BELIEVE Honda will fix any seat belt issue for ever!

12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks guys.The dealer said that the recall was performed in November which means I would be within the warranty of the recall and they will address the system.

13. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hmmm, I guess it saved you an argument. My recall was done 12 years before I returned it. :cool:

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Like I said before, the last TR seatbelt recall that I performed required the combination of 3 kits to get all of the parts required in working order. It seems that the only recall kits that Ferrari has left are ones that have broken parts in them and were thrown to the side of the parts warehouse and the dealer was sent a new kit. I have had two bad brand new retractors come in kits that were sent by Ferrari. They don't package them very carefully, and the outer plastic housings were cracked or broken where the screws that hold them together go into plastic posts on the opposite half. It is fairly common, if you look at the photo of the retractor above, you can see a gap between the two halves were the wiring harness exits on the right side. This one is not too bad. When they are really bad, they will not hold the components inside the unit in the proper orientation and the unit will malfunction.
    They made it harder to take apart by using Tri-Y screws with three slots instead of phillips head with 4, so you will need to get the proper Tri-Y screwdriver if you want to take it apart to fix or inspect it. They are fairly complex inside, so taking one apart should be done very carefully.
    I had a customers car that had a retractor that had a bad micro-switch in it, but was fine otherwise. The dealership did not want to try to fix it, but sourced a new replacement instead. I was told that this was the last new retractor that was available on the planet, so you might be hard pressed to find a replacement.
    I still have the retractor with the bad microswitch, and might sell it if you need one. You could swap a good microswitch from your unit into it if your unit turns out to be bad.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Brian, is the micro switch that turns off the red warning light?

16. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My warning lights are always on no matter if the belt is plugged in or not

17. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I opened up the area around the belts to inspect the retract mechanism. It's definitely "slow" in the sense that it DOES work but does so slowly. Then the belt hits a certain point where it won't retract anymore. there is a small rubber roller mounted to a pin. As the belt retracts the rubber roller pulls the pin toward the wall of the seat belt recess and causes the belt to basically stop winding itself.

Also, the plastic surrounding the zinc plated metal roller that is at the center of the belt roll is completely broken apart. I figure removing as much of the broken plastic as possible will be required but not sure if this will affect the function.

Also again, when door first opens and the shoulder belt anchor point begins winding up the A-pillar, I can hear the gear motors in the shoulder harness retract mechanism turn on. They stop shortly after though and don't come on again. I can't actually see anything happening when the gear motors turn on.

Lastly, how do I remove the belts themselves from the tunnel? I can't see any visible bolts.

Thank you! So far I've already fixed a couple of things on the car so I'm feeling good.

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe you have to remove the console!

19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Good news, you don't. Just need a 17mm wrench down through the seat belt reel and either a 17mm wrench on the nut (preferably a ratcheting wrench) or a 17mm socket with a universal through the clearance hole on the side of the console.

Got seat belt apart and I believe the problem is due to a slipping timing belt on the motor driven belt tensioning assembly. WTF this system is so overcomplicated and dumb.

20. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Is it possible to convert to normal 3 point seat belts like the euro cars?

21. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It is possible and has been done (not by me)--the mounting points are on every Testarossa regardless of market. From what I understand the biggest hurdles are a) finding complete euro belt sets and b) finding (or modifying US or fabricating) euro trim pieces to replace the US trim pieces so it all looks factory. Neither is insurmountable.

22. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Glad you got it out. For those that can't quite visualize, the retractor can come out as above. When I removed mine I had both seats already removed and used the access holes in the central console to access the single mounting bolt/nut. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sounds like you may have a few things going on (or I don't fully understand your statement above). The retractor mechanism you have been inspecting only tensions or de-tensions the belt. The drive motor (behind the seat) moves the slider (as Ferrari calls it--the trolley where the belt clips in) along the track from the forward "A" station to the rear "B" station. Two separate actions but definitely interrelated--if the retractor does not relieve tension on the belt the slider will begin to move from the B station towards the A station then stop midway when the belt becomes taught (from not de-tensioning)--this will halt everything about halfway through full travel. This happens on mine intermittently. At that point I either unclip the belt and open/close the door (to restart the slider) or manually push the belt a slight amount into the retractor (which releases the spring tension and frees the belt) and cycle the door (or ignition switch off then on again). I don't know what gives the signal for the retractor to operate--I thought it was the ECU on that side but I have replaced the ECU and it still occurs intermittently. May also tie into the micro-switches at the A and B stations--not sure.

I would love to get my hands on the Electrolux 2 point motorized belt system Servicemanual that Motob mentions above but I have never seen it advertised on any of the Ferrari literature sites, eBay, etc. Maybe a dealer but I've only been to one and never dealt with the service department. The book cover is shown in the photo--if anyone knows of a copy or has a .PDF for sale I'm an instant buyer--that system has caused me more pain than any other on the Testarossa.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    No, the red warning lights are controlled by each main ECU. There is a solenoid that is built into each belt retractor. The micro-switch tells the ECU the position of the solenoid.

25. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    For anyone who isn't afraid to get down and dirty inside the seat belt mechanism, the timing belt used for tensioning and de-tensioning the belt is a 1/4" wide 88 tooth at 0.08" pitch. About $4 each in 2018 dollars.