1988 3.2 Mondial Coupe (Red/Tan) | FerrariChat

1988 3.2 Mondial Coupe (Red/Tan)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Michael P. Messina, Sep 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael P. Messina

Oct 13, 2004
    Tampa
    I am at a decision point and in need of some feedback. The above vehicle was bought in NY about 15 years ago and has +- 90k on the odometer. The car runs and is in need of a belt change and other general service needs. It is also starting to show some rust aspects (probably due to up north salt on roads) even though during my ownership it has been always garaged. As the vehicle, in my judgement, has little or no value I am at a deflection point. Options: (1) just drive it till it dies - then part it (2) sell / trade /donation Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login (3) restore it by spending tons of $$ (4) keep it / drive it and continue to feed the repair shop. Feedback would appreciated as I want to make a practical decision not an emotional one!

2. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    My vote would be to sell it. The 3.2 coupe is very desirable.

3. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    There's a guy posting in classifieds looking for a 3.2 coupe. If he's starry-eyed enough, you may get him to assume your liability if you tempt him with a modest discount.

4. Michael P. Messina

Oct 13, 2004
    Tampa
    If I do decide to sell the car; what is a realistic value of the car's worth? Any ideas?

5. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Given the very limited information posted here. I would expect you to get $22K for the car, IMHO.

6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Valuations without details are definitely tough, but I do agree with this post. 90K miles + in need of a major service + rust issues leads me to believe that this would be valued in the low 20s. However, it does look nice from the pictures.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

2cam

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ship it to me. Or heck, I'll come get it. My 328 has 116,000 miles on it and is running strong. The 3.2 is a great drivetrain, and that model Mondial coupe is the best looking one.

I can be in Tampa this weekend if you're in the mood for a donation :)

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Compared to prices here (despite the issues with the car) that $22k sounds cheap. I have not noticed a Mondial here for less than £30k this last 12 months.

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
  10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Asking prices for Mondials are higher in Europe, but I don't think much is trading at those prices. I have seen many of the same cars for 6 months now.

On the other hand, 512 TR's and TR's seem to be less in Europe.

And to the OP, I hope you keep the car and enjoy it.

11. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Just to be clear, my comment about 90K miles wasn't directed at the mechanical condition and potential longevity of the cars, just that the values seem to drop off of a cliff after about 30K miles for some reason...

12. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
  13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    If you don't really need the money right away, ask for $50K. And seriously, Mondial owners are discounting the price way too much when they sell.

davemqv likes this.
  14. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Unless the rust issues are too serious, perhaps just have the repairs localized to the problems spots and then have the paint blended. Not appropriate for a Concours level show car, but for a driver it would look better than rust showing. Unless there are pinholes or the panels are gone in certain spots, a rust inhibitor or encapsulator could be used. The belt service and things of that nature would need to be done regardless of Ferrari model owned. After watching the market for a while, it seems the higher mileage units are where the sweet spot is in the US regarding purchase price. And the drivetrain seems to be proven in such a manner that the mileage shouldn't be a concern. Electronics and so forth are always a potential issue due to age rather than mileage alone. I'd probably spring for that model in the $22K to $25K price range, with the rust being the deciding factor (cosmetic or structural?). I have been looking for a coupe, but lately I seem drawn to the cabriolet models. My challenge now is storage space- I need to either have a storage lift installed in my garage so the '71 Mach 1 429CJ Ram Air can remain there as well, or rent another garage space. No way will my wife put up with having her Lincoln Navigator being moved to the driveway! heh

15. Michael P. Messina

Oct 13, 2004
    Tampa
    To all:
    Thanks for all of your comments. My time has been spent unfortunately dealing with hurricane damages and insurance adjusters lately. UGH! I have read all of the posted comments and all the input is appreciated. Based on several of the comments here, I think I am going to get the belts serviced and drive the car; hopefully I can enjoy it as a weekend driver. The rust issues I have been told are cosmetic and not structural with respect to the frame. This may not be the best long-term decision but I will be quick to pull the plug if many issues arise post belt service. My 2 Cents.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    As much as would LOVE to agree with you -- it's all a function of the market. These cars have a stigma (though a slow resurgence has been occurring), and selling prices will be affected accordingly. I've talked to countless supposed 'Tifosi' that didn't even know basic things like the Mondial shares the same exact drivetrain as the 308/328/348! It's always funny when I hear somebody laud the 'bulletproof' reliability of the 308/328 motor, and then in the same breath say - 'unlike the Mondial.' Yes, deferred maintenance is bad my friends (FOR ANY FERRARI)

I won't even get into the fact that they handle better off the track than those models.

In terms of aesthetics, burn me at the stake for thinking the Mondial 8 is gorgeous. Image Unavailable, Please Login

davemqv likes this.
  17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The market consists of buyers, but it also consists of sellers. However, it is the sellers who set the price. Now I'm not suggesting any coordinated price fixing. I'm only suggesting that sellers are discounting the intrinsic value of the car. People who deride the specifications, engineering, refinement, and pedigree of the Mondial are obviously ignorant. Mr. Ferrari had no problem selling Monidals for more than the 308/328. We shouldn't either.

I remember a time when the Dino 206/246 was regularly derided by "Tofosi". Now look where the values are ! Certainly the Mondial is a better car from a performance/engineering standpoint. I would venture that all Ferraris are in "stronger hands" than most other makes of vehicles. Why all the discounting with the Mondial ?

88Mondialguy and paulchua like this.
  18. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually the market price is set by the least willing buyer and the most motivated seller. And it's still in the 20s for 8s, 30s for QVs, and maybe just into the 40s for 3.2s and Ts, "projects" excluded.

paulchua likes this.
  19. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Let me correct that. The sellers set the 'asking' prices but the transaction prices have are jointly determined by the buyer and seller. The only time the seller sets the price is if there is only one seller, or if all the sellers are in cahoots. The "market" price is set by the least willing by the last buyer and seller who can come to terms. There are sellers who would sell for more, but can't find a buyer; and there are buyer's who would buy for less, but find no seller.

jjmalez likes this.
  20. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    From personal observation, I would say that the market has compressed at the top in the 30s for even 3.2s and Ts. In the past 2 years, how many Mondials have you seen sell in the 40s? From a public sale perspective, I believe that you could count them all on a single hand. Even the 3.2 Coupe (which is arguably one of the most sought-after Mondials) that Stephan recently purchased sat on the market for over a year at $40K with no takers (and it was a really nice, original car with a fresh major service). So, I would say that $30s are the reality for these cars at this point unless the broader market (non-Ferrari aficionados) wake to their value and begin to drive price North.

2cam

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  21. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    And one day people will wake up and the cars will be selling in the 60's and 70s. IMO the current pricing makes no sense.

paulchua likes this.
  22. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I agree with that statement. I believe it is still a buyer's market at the moment, but it will eventually rise, quite rapidly. When you consider that the Mondial 3.2 is virtually the same car as the 328 for half the price, reality will soon hit. I have never had a better Mondial than the 3.2 I now own, these cars are pure gems. Buy now before it's too late.

Charlemagne and paulchua like this.
  23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    No, in fact when I bought mine my ex-wife preferred the Mondial over a 308. I still love the 308/328 and my favourite Ferrari is probably a 288GTO, however the Mondial I never saw as remotely bad looking.

paulchua likes this.
  24. s38junkie

s38junkie Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    I know of at least 2 t coupes that sold for $45k. The one I purchased in 2015 and this one that sold recently on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-ferrari-mondial/

One could argue that we both over paid. One could also argue that there is an uptick in the market for any low mileage, well preserved gated shift Ferrari and buyers will pay a premium for it.

25. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    This kind of makes my point - it's rare to see a Mondial sell above that $40K mark. They've quietly settled into the $30K range across all models except for the 8. However, there will always be exceptions - the T Coupe on BaT last year and your car are two examples of that. However, I don't believe that there's been more than a 1/2 dozen that have broken that barrier publicly in the past 24 months.

By the way, your car is my favorite of all the T Coupes I've seen. Beautiful and stunning color combo!

2cam