1988 328 Owner's Manuals | FerrariChat

1988 328 Owner's Manuals

Discussion in '308/328' started by CDBELL, Jan 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell
    Hi All, The attached pic shows the manuals that I have for my 1988 328 GTS. Just wanted to know if these are the correct manuals that came with the car? Also, the leather case is more burgundy in color and most of the ones I've seen pictured appear tan. Were both colors an option from Ferrari in '88?
    I realize it's not a big deal but I'm working to restore as close to factory as possible. Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    I'm working on restoring a 328 to the original everything and these are the manuals for it. I owned an 88.5 328 a number of years ago and I believe all of yours are correct. Cheers!

Attached Files:

CDBELL likes this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Your owner's manuel and warranty card are correct for a 1988 M.Y model. The yellow cover dealership network agenda seems to be the later, september 1988 print, corresponding to M.Y 1989 versions; what is the print reference (Graffiche Rebecchi, etc...) on the last page or inside the rear cover page?

The burgundy leather pouches were provided with late production M.Y '89 cars, yours should be the more common "tan" variant (I don't like to write that, but...).

I wouldn't be that surprised if your owner's manual and warranty card came from one source, and the dealership direction and burgundy pouch, coming from a M.Y 1989 car, were bought from a different source.

Rgds

CDBELL likes this.
  4. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Yes most of them are Tan but many 1989 car have burgundy leather case. I'm not sure there were a precise rule about them but some looking for burgundy pouch because GTO (288) appear to have them.

Could you tell us more about yours 328 ? What is written on first page of the warranty book ?

5. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell

6. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell
    Hey Guys, I did in fact have a pic of the fist page of the warranty book. Does this help determine if the Burgundy case is period correct for the car?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

bertrand328 likes this.
  7. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    No, sorry.
    I can't assure which is THE right pouch for your car. Anyway let me know if you looking for a Tan one.

CDBELL likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Considering the engine number written on the warranty card, the car is in the # 77700 range, so it is a M.Y 88 1/2 built in the summer of 1988. It has revised suspension with convex wheels but does NOT have ABS.
    (The telltale for ABS is not the wheels but the brake fluid reservoir: large brake fluid reservoir, exactly in the middle of the sparewheel shroud, in front of the windshield, the car has ABS; small brake fluid reservoir and offset to the passenger side, the car does not have ABS.
    Convex wheels cars might have ABS, but does not always have it: in Europe, ABS always was a paying extra option until the end of production: you didn't want it, then you didn't pay the option, and the car was delivered without ABS. In the US, all M.Y 88 1/2 were delivered without it, all M.Y 89 were delivered with it)

Then, as I wrote on my previous post, the warranty card and owner's manual are correct, because the new editions with yellow covers were not printed before september 1988 and your car obviously could not have been delivered with these.
    The dealership directory is a later addition, as is the burgundy pouch, because, to the best of my knowledge, only very late production cars had burgundy pouches (and not always, some late production cars were delivered with tan colored pouches).

Incidentally, it is of some interest to know that, even if your owner's manual is indeed the period-correct one, the suspension settings (camber, toe-in, etc...) inside it are "wrong", as these are those for the cars with the earlier suspension type (before car #76626); the correct suspension settings for the cars with revised suspension are in the owner's manual 535/88, printed in september 1988 with yellow cover: the factory did not provide the owners of the 88 1/2 cars with a corrected manual adapted to the new suspension design until september 1988...

Rgds

CDBELL and VetroresinaNL like this.
  9. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    I always like these details!!

10. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell
    Thanks for the information, very helpful. It sounds like I would need an older version of the dealership directory and the tan case to make mine period correct for this car.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The "sales and service organisation" manual you need to have a "matched set" would be print reference 463/87; it has a blue cover; that is the one which would match your grey covered owner's manual and warranty card.

BUT, that been said, I went to my archives (I cannot access all my archives due to the Covid curfew/lock-down...I have no access to Mr Sauzé's book about "Ferrari publications until 1996", the best reference on the matter, for the time being), and...
    HOWEVER, if the yellow one you have is 510/88 (print reference at the bottom inside the rear cover), then it was printed in april 1988 (Aprile 1988 in Italian) AND your car could well have been delivered with it indeed. No need to look for a blue one then, if it is 510/88 indeed.

An U.S car could not have the full matched "yellow covers" set of three manuals before September/october 1988. The first yellow cover Owner's Manual, 493/88, and the first yellow cover Warranty Card, 498/88, were also printed in April, but those were specific to european cars only (Main difference is the engine, which is catalysed on U.S cars, and not on "Euro" cars).
    The first yellow cover Owner's Manual for U.S cars is 535/88, printed in September (the one with the correct suspension settings); so the full matched yellow cover three piece set of manuals for U.S cars was available only after september 1988.

As for the pouch, no rush; besides, your burgundy one, being more rare than the tan variant, should cover the cost if you intend to swap the two...

Rgds

12. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell
    Thanks for the explanation as this will help me determine what's needed to get the books back to factory representation.