1988.5 328 GTS Nero/Crema Fresh Service | FerrariChat

1988.5 328 GTS Nero/Crema Fresh Service

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Russ Gould, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I bought this car last year as a birthday present to myself, having sold all three of my F cars when I moved from Oregon to Texas the prior year. I ruminated for a long time as to what car I should buy to replace them. I did some research as to which model had the least factory gremlins and was the easiest to own, and came up the the answer: the 328. And of the 328s, the 88.5 seemed to be the best version to own as it had the upgraded suspension (convex wheels) but not the potentially problematic ABS (and I distrust electronics in cars). Finally, I really like the targa top as the ideal compromise between a hard top and a drop top, having owned a 308 GTSi.

Anyway my birthday has come around again and this time I am selling the car as I am expecting something very exciting to show up here before the year is out.

I found this car in CA, although it turns out the prior owner was none other than AJS328 (the famous 328 junkie Augustine) in PA and before him another F Chatter Drew in FL, originally sold in AL I believe. When Augustine sold it, it had extensive service records but the paint was a little tired. When I bought it (from a dealer who bought it from another dealer who bought it from Augustine) the service records were missing but the car had been professionally repainted to a high standard. Ferrari of San Fran did the PPI, found the compression to be very strong across the board (close to 200), but it needed a service and also there were some electrical problems. Yelcab picked the car up from FSF and did the belt service using the mandatory new Hill tensioners, set the valves (did it twice), replaced all the dubious rubber hoses including the fuel crossover line, and found and fixed the electrical problem (a loose connector). He did not replace the distributor, water pump, plug wires as the service was due based on time, not miles, and these could be done when needed. And in the interim, Augustine helped me obtain the receipt for the prior major done in PA so we knew what had been done (the a/c was converted at that service). Nevertheless, I purchased new distributor caps, rotors, wires, extensions, and water pump around the same time and these parts are with the car. I tried to locate the binder of service records but as best I could ascertain, Mecum lost them after AJS sold the car. I did find a set of spare keys, which Ahlgrim had and kindly sent to me.

I had the car hauled to TX in an enclosed trailer and have since replaced the springs that operate the passenger side map pocket, the plug extensions, and installed a new CD player. I applied some Connolly Hide Food to the leather. I have not replaced the leather tabs on the targa top. I have also not charged the a/c as I am not driving the car, and while it blows, I can't tell for sure that it works. However I will sell it with a guarantee that it does work once charged. Aside from those two items between Yelcab and yours truly we have corrected everything that needs correcting. And here is what I have not done: I have not registered or driven the car in the year that I have owned it! (Aside from starting it periodically and backing it out of the garage, where it rests under my old Mondial cover). The reason being I fell into a project (a 288GTO conversion based on a 308 frame and a 355 motor, shortly after buying the 328, but that's another saga unto itself) and when I got into that project I realized the space occupied by the 328 is going to be needed for the GTO which is nearing completion and is going to be my Ferrari "fast and loud" fix for the next several years.

So here is the long and short of it:

Title: still on AJS328 PA title, endorsed by 2 or 3 dealers. That's a collector's item right there!
    Miles: 58K and change and that's verifiable from the paperwork as well as the known prior owners.
    Carfax: no accidents, no damage apart from a bullseye on one of the driving light lenses that I siliconed.
    Color is original although body has had a recent repaint which is near perfect, except for one chip on the inner flank of the driver side buttress in an inconspicuous location. I touched that up. I also touched up the paint on the drip tray in the engine compartment.
    Wheels/Tyres: have good tread I would guess about 80% but they are not fresh. Wheels are original and undamaged.
    Interior: aside from the noted missing leather pulls on the targa top, the interior is in very good condition with no rips, tears or heavy wear.
    Spare: present, skinny type, and there is a pigtail for a trickle charger on the battery. I will supply the correct trickle charger with the car.
    Extras: comes with new spare plug wires, distributor caps, rotors, and water pump. Owner manual. Trickle charger. No tools. Aftermarket jack and wheel wrench. If you are having it shipped, I will contribute my Mondial car cover to keep it pristine en route.
    Records: Comes with the Ferrari San Fran PPI report including compression test, Carfax as of date of purchase, receipt for partial major (Yelcab), receipt for prior major (AJS era).
    Price: $57.5K will buy the car FOB May TX (between Fort Worth and Abilene) This is a rather good deal for the car and I am not inclined to consider any offers. If it does not sell at this price, I may pare the price a bit next spring, but then again I may increase the price next spring. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Will post more photos when I have a chance. Here's an appetizer, these photos were taken when the car was picked up at Yelcab's shop except for the interior shot which was taken by the selling dealer in CA.

2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    thats a very very good price

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    That’s an excellent price. I can vouch for the car and I know Russ has made it considerably better than when I had her. Good luck with the sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I forgot to upload photo showing interior color; also forgot to mention, for those that like the GTB, this color scheme gives you the GTB "look" with the wind-in-the-hair targa experience (when you feel like it)!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Beautiful car. You should show more pictures of it. Especially the inside. And maybe a little bit more info on what level of paint job was done to it. GLWS

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    beautiful car with Fchat provenance. what more could you want? :)

7. Nero308QV

Nero308QV Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    Hi, how can I get directly in contact with the seller? Thanks.

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    WOW.

I haven't followed the market in a little bit, but without seeing the pictures & the price asked, I didn't think the first number would be a "5." Not in the market, and haven't "googled" the Hell out of it, but the "5" at the front sure still strikes me as low. Best wishes on the sale!

9. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    more pics ??

10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    It looks like you just click the seller's name and then click "start a conversation." I haven't tried it yet though.

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Anyone who wants more info/more pics/ppi paperwork/receipts/carfax should email me directly russ ampersand vh2q dot com but please don't go through the motions if you are one of those guys who feels that no matter how attractive the price, there is "wiggle room" ... at this price I have not built in any wiggle room and this car is clean clean clean and priced to sell. There are two Fchatters who are very familiar with the car, AJS328 for the history and yelcab for current condition. AJS was the last driver/owner, he sold it to a dealer who sold at Mecum in 2016? to a dealer in CA who is a sponsor here, and I bought it from them "needing a major" and some electrical work. yelcab in CA did the major for me and sorted the electricals before it was trailered back to TX. In other words, it has done very few miles since AJS sold it on, and since it has been here it has done about 1 mile, I replaced the stereo and fixed a speaker short, we fixed the one door pocket (springs replaced), and I replaced all the plug extenders. The car is ready for the road.

12. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Russ, the email that you provided does not work

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

You have a car for sale that has been Title Jumped, which is a Felony is most States.

You need to at least Title it to sell it legally in your name or a business name.

A DEALER can sell or auction it ONE time through an auction to another dealer, but by Law it must be TITLED in that State for sale to an individual or a businees, including other dealers.

I am posting as an FYI.

If I were to buy this from you and take it to GA DMV, I could then sue you after they throw the book at me and refuse to title or register the car.

It has happened to me before. I had a title lawyer get involved and you are setting yourself up for a headache.

PS: I got into it with Hagerty and CoPart when Hagerty title jumped my totaled( by them for frame damage) 87 328GTS through CoPart several years ago. There is a thread here about it. They settled with me.
    GA, TX and PA governments were all involved.

Nice car, but cover your butt to protect yourself.

Reaper.

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    That can't be right. The title was assigned by AJS328 to a well known F car dealer in FL. The dealer assigned the title to Mecum. Mecum assigned the title to the dealer in CA. The dealer in CA (whose name I won't mention at this point as they are a sponsor here and this is all news to them) completed a CA bill of sale in my favor. So are you saying that Mecum and the dealer in CA committed a felony? The dealer in CA was supposed to title the car in CA before selling it to me? I don' think so.

Bottom line I would be happy to title the car in TX but in that event the price will be $61K. Caveat emptor ... check with your state before buying and make your decision.

15. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    that's a q not a g

16. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Generally speaking, purchasing a used vehicle and not registering it AND not paying the applicable sales tax is a big DMV no no. You have what I believe is called an "open title". The registered owner of a vehicle will be held responsible for any unpaid fines, property damage, and liability claims. Dealers are not required to title vehicles in their name as they are licensed to conduct this type of business.

19633500GT likes this.
  17. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    If it’s not registered, that would mean selling it would be on an “open status”.

What does your title currently state? Is your name on it?
    I’ve had this issue before, it’ll be a headache for you and the next person.

18. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    As stated in the listing, the title is still in the name of AJS328. AJS signed it over to dealer 1. Dealer 1 completed a FL reassignment form to Mecum. Mecum completed a CA reassignment form to Dealer 2. Dealer 2 gave me a bill of sale for the car plus all of the aforementioned paperwork. And as stated if the buyer wants me to title the car in TX I will do so.

19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm not sure I follow - so say AJS signs a title of the car to me, and I sell it - I'm committing a crime? What if I never paid AJS for the car? Could I be selling it as an agent on his behalf?

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    BTW - GREAT price - if this doesn't sell, I may try to sell my 308 and move for this...not my color choice, but always loved the 328 v. 308.

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  23. hlee96

hlee96 Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Hoi Lee
    Would like to contact you regarding your car for sell but your email doesn't work. Can you email me at my username at yahoo?
    thanks_HL

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    He said he would title the car if the buyer requests (if you're worried about the state collecting tax once again) so I don't see an issue.

rdefabri likes this.
  25. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    title it in oklahoma - the tax there is only 3.25% they only require you have oklahoma approved insurance - it does not matter where you live

blkdiablo33 likes this.