1988 Mondial 3.2 Coupe on eBay | FerrariChat

1988 Mondial 3.2 Coupe on eBay

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MondialMondo, Jun 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Has anyone seen the Mondial 3.2 in burgundy VIN ZFFXD21A3J0077373 that is currently on eBay? The car is interesting on paper: looks clean (if you can stand the color); 1988, which is arguably the best year for a Mondial (power steering, ABS, no annoying metric wheels, etc.), plus 348 wheels (OK, not the original wheels that came with the car). And only 10K miles (if the odometer can be trusted). Of course, no word on the last timing belt change or any service whatsoever. It has been on eBay before; I don't know what happened. The seller does mention a color difference that may or may not be due to some bodywork. Does anyone know anything about this car? It ought to at least catch the attention of anyone considering the purchase of a Mondial coupe. Why are there no serious bids on this car?

Regards

2. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Did any 3.2 Mondials come with power steering?

3. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Good question. That was my understanding, but I may have confused that with the Mondial t.

4. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    That was introduced on the t.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #5 snj5, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very pretty Prugna 3.2 coupe and even already has the 348 wheel upgrade.
    Would be careful of the LOW miles, though.
    If I did not already have a Mondial 3.2, this would be the one I'd look hard at.
    Very very pretty - should make someone an excellent Ferrari
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh man Mondo. "if you can stand the color?" You cut me deep man. You cut me deep.

Ahhhh. Now I feel better.

7. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    that car has been around for years...was at the Toy Store in Fort Lauderdale five years back with about the same mileage...beware!

8. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    Sorry, my mistake, wrong car. I was thinking of a prugna T Coupe that has been kicking around.

9. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Michael B, you got me all wrong, I LOVE that prugna color. I sold my red 1986 Mondial a couple of months ago and deeply regret having done so. Now I am looking for another Mondial and actually prefer the classy prugna color. That's why I got all excited when I saw this prugna Mondial show up on eBay. Problem is, the wife cannot get used to the color. She believes that all Ferraris are supposed to be red and I cannot talk it out of her head. Ideally, I drive up there tonight and take that baby home (once I thoroughly assessed it of course). I have come accross pictures of your car on F'chat and it looks AMAZING (esp. with those wheels!).

Regards,
    Robert

10. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Quote originally posted by snj5:
    "Would be careful of the LOW miles, though."

Russ, I agree with you 100% about the care to be exercised with the low miles.

The way I see it, there are basically 3 explanations for a low-mileage car:
    1. The owner loves his car and wants to protect it against all evil in the world. The reason he needs to sell is due to factors such as illness, unemployment, bankruptcy, college money for the kids, or a trade-up, etc.
    2. The car got into an accident and the owner lost interest, because the car is no longer "new". Decides to park it for a couple years and eventually decides to sell it. A clean Carfax report is nice but of very little help in determining if the car ever got any bodywork done.
    3. The owner faced a serious repair bill (car requires a new clutch, gearbox, or engine rebuild etc.) and decided to put it off for a couple years. Eventually decides to not sink any more money into it and sells it leaving the unsuspecting buyer with a massive repair bill.

I am trying to figure out what category this prugna Mondial falls into. Since no service history is mentioned, the least I am suspecting is the need for replacement of the timing belt and a frozen water pump, but that I can deal with as long as the actual engine and the cosmetic interior and exterior of the car are fine.

Regards,
    Robert

11. MondialMondo

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Joel D, I think I saw that prugna T coupe you're talking about for sale in Louisville, KY a few years ago. I checked it out in person and believe that it needed engine-out service back then. I don't know what happened to the car since. It sure would be nice to have a comprehensive Mondial registry to separate the good ones from the bad ones. But then of course, a good one can become bad...

Regards