1989 328 front shock removal. How to ? | FerrariChat

1989 328 front shock removal. How to ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Skindiver, Jan 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    HI Guys.

Can someone please say how easiest to remove the front shocks/ springs from an 1989 328.

I fear I might go postal and probably end up unnecessarily unbolting bolts, so I would appreciate the easiest way to do it.
    Its a lot to ask I know, but if there are torque specs for the bolts that I am to re tighten too please.

I will not be doing any other ..'while I'm in there" ...work and will have the shop remove and replace the springs on the shock.

I want to change the springs out for some slightly shorter ones of the same poundage* to decrease my big front wheel arch gap by about 35mm or 1.5".

*(I don't want to increase poundage as usual as I fear a harsher ride in combination with my lower profile tyres.)

Thanks
    Greg.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Does the useful technical threads sticky help ?

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Its not difficult. The shocks just unbolt at the top, 4 nuts, and one long bolt at the bottom.

You probably need to remove the top wishbone completely to get clearance to remove the shock. The torque settings are shown in the WSM, be sure to torque the bots with the suspension at normal ride height.

4. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Andyww.

Greyboxer, stickies cover pre ABS only.

Thanks Guys.