1989 328 GTS oil change | FerrariChat

1989 328 GTS oil change

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rezone, Feb 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rezone

rezone Rookie

Dec 25, 2005
    Just got my first ferrari last month and wanted to know if a lift is absolutely needed to do an oil change? Going to use castrol 10w-40 and a fram oil filter by the way. Thanks

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No you don't need a lift and don't use the fram use the Baldwin 253 or the correct UFI filter. I don't believe the fram has the standpipe in it

3. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You just need to get it raised maybe 4-6 inches to slide a big enough pan underneath. Mobile 1 0-40 is a better choice. It flows better when cold and has at least as much high temp protection as any 40 weight. Agree with above about filters. When refilling, put in 7 quarts and then start and run. Check the oil then and fill until you are at the add mark. Wait an hour and then bring it up to the full mark if need be. Ususally takes 8-8.5 quarts per change.

Dave

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I forgotten to mention, I usually put rags around the bottom of the oil filter before removing. Usually very little comes out, but sometimes quite a bit. The rags save a mess.

Dave

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Dave,
    Mine is getting due, will you come over and give me a hand? Only negative 12 out last week.

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

If you do just jack up the rear end to get underneath it, be sure to lower the car back to level before you re-fill it, or you won't get all of the old oil out.

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    When you reach under there to drain the oil - make damn sure your not draining the transmission fluid instead (don't laugh like it can't happen)

9. rezone

rezone Rookie

Dec 25, 2005
    thanks for the replies, but after seeing many pics of 328 engines on the net with the fram filter I bought 3 of them. is there a big problem in using them? can I use low height ramps at the rear tires or will the car need to be raised up with a floor jack?

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Fram 2804-1 does have a stand pipe and for many years was the OE filter.

Frams have in recent years been known to have a complete collapse of the filter material. I have seen several of the filters do it at the cost of two motors I have seen and quite a few I have heard of.

Just say no to Fram.

Ufi or Baldwin.

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ramps work fine. One last tip: do NOT overtighten the drain plug. Doing so can crack the pan (a friend of mine did this recently) or pull out the threads.

Really, it is all just a snap!

Dave

12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For a free ticket, a warm bed and a six pack of Alaskan amber, I'll help.

Yer buddy,
    Dave

13. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Agreed.

14. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Bring the 328 oil change directions and you may have a deal (in the Spring).

15. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Rezone, shoot me an email at [email protected] & I'll forward you the entire article with pictures. The NAPA part #s for the copper crush washers are incorrect (but were what was on the box I purchased in) but all else should be applicable. Ensure you use a torque wrench.

Best,

:) Carl

16. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Make sure you use a new copper crush washer for the drain plug.

17. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    if you use the FRAM make sure it has the -1 part number, that -1 is the anti-flowback valve or whatever it is called.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Just buy Baldwin filters and you don't need to worry about the Fram

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It doesn't matter, because the anti-drainback valver rarely works on the Fram, which is why you shouldn't use them.

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  21. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Carl Rose's excellent write up, Ferrari 328 Oil Change, is attached to this post. Example car in the procedure was a a late 88 model.

EDIT: I see Carl already responded. In case he didn't want his article posted, I've removed the attachment. Let me know if I can attach it back for everyone's benefit.

--Mike

22. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll even bring a Baldwin filter with me. Probably hard to find up there in snowmobile stores.

Dave

23. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    #23 carlrose, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Of course you can attach it Mike, this is what makes FC great (smile)! Can't remember, think I may have updated it to effect of NAPA crush washer part #s weren't correct. There was also a debate regarding copper washers a while back - I have no proverbial horse in that race, just taking pictures...didn't realize I could post entire article?

:) Carl
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. rezone

rezone Rookie

Dec 25, 2005
    can I use the my brand new fram oil filter or not??? what risk would it be? They are not old stock or anything like that. Do you need a new copper drain plug washer everytime you do an oil change? thanks

25. jw6513

jw6513 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim Whitney
    There is nothing wrong with the Fram filter....as long as it is the right number...use it....Bob Wallace recommends it....and I've never had a problem.