For Sale - 1991 Testarossa - Fresh Engine Out - 100% Ready | FerrariChat

For Sale 1991 Testarossa - Fresh Engine Out - 100% Ready

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Daniel McCarthy, Aug 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daniel McCarthy

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Danny Mac
    This Ferrari just had it's major service. Standard engine out, seals/belts, plus a ton of housekeeping items to get it as perfect as possible. Was performed by the best tech in Dallas, feel free to reach out for invoice.

14k miles (23k Kilometers)
    Bianco Exterior
    Factory Tool Kit
    Service Records
    Accident Free

I have more photos coming, this is the first set I got back from the photographer. I am also happy to do FaceTime calls with the car for serious buyers.

Deposit to hold.

Asking Price: $175,000

Message me for phone # / Email
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    What’s the VIN?

modenasong likes this.
  3. Daniel McCarthy

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Danny Mac
    Sorry about, I thought it copied over! Let me know if you need anything else.

ZFFSM17A9M0087809

4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
  5. Daniel McCarthy

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Danny Mac
    Yes! I purchased it. It was stored in climate controlled storage until I could get it in to the shop. The car was in excellent condition compared to a lot I have seen, but still needed a solid refresh for the discerning / OCD buyer. I have attached some photos of the engine removed. And a list of labor/parts for anyone interested. All original except converted AC, added a bluetooth stereo (kept original), and replaced the speakers.

Major Service Labor:
    -R&R engine
    -Replace cam belts & tensioners
    -Degree cam timing
    -Reseal valve covers, replace cam seals
    -Reseal water pump
    -Replace accessory belts
    -Change/flush all fluids
    -Check ignition wires and system operations
    -Flush and bleed brakes
    -Replace air filter
    -Adjust parking brake
    -Check hoses and connections
    -Service A/C
    - Weld and repair fitting on fuel tank
    - Replace thermostats and coolant hoses for pipes on firewall PF1 Convert A/C to R134
    - Replace drier and flush system
    - PF1 R&R clutch pack
    - Replace release bearing and reseal hydraulics
    - Replace pilot bearing and rear crank seal
    - Remove and Replace CD player (kept original, added bluetooth)

Parts List:
    TR MU9.5-2 Ferrari HP Clutch Set
    Thermostat (82 deg)
    Thermostat gasket
    Dist. base gasket
    Cam end gasket
    TR oil filter
    TR / 348 fuel filter
    Distributor oil seal
    Distributor cap seal
    Output seal
    Cam seal plate 'O' ring
    Front crank seal
    NGK DR8 EA spark plugs
    Vacuum pump gasket
    VC 'O' ring 12
    Cam cover gasket
    Cam cover gasket
    VC drain gasket
    TR Timing belt
    Tension bearings
    Cam bolt 'O' ring
    WP 'O' ring
    WP lock plate
    Water pump seal and ring
    WP oil seal
    Belt P 714
    Air pump belt
    A/C belt
    Air filter
    Prestone coolant
    Super Dot 4 brake fluid
    Pennzoil 20/W50
    EP gear lube
    134a refrigerant
    All new Gaskets
    Fuel sender gasket
    Dryer for A/C
    Duran Flush II
    Pilot bearing
    Rear main seal
    Bearing/release
    All new Seal rings
    TR clutch slave seal
    All New O-rings
    O2 sensor (long lead)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Beautiful car. Why sell after less than two months of having it out of the shop?

7. Daniel McCarthy

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Danny Mac
    I collect cars, and also have a dealers license to sell. Some I keep, some I sell. This was purchased with the intent to sell from the beginning.

Murph4Enzo, Parnelli and Ryan S. like this.
  8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow what a beast!!!

9. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    "but still needed a solid refresh for the discerning / OCD buyer"

As a potential discerning buyer with major OCD (LOL!) I have a few questions. I'm guessing others have relatively the same questions so it makes sense just to post them here and may actually help you with the sale.

1) I followed this car when it last was on BAT. The car was listed as 14K miles but also itemized as 'True Miles Unknown' (TMU) on the Carfax. Any follow-up on that issue? Is the Carfax now corrected? T'MU' obviously isn't an ideal situation at resale time and something most prefer to avoid if possible.

2) Other than the engine out service has any work been done to the interior since you bought it? Seats? carpets?

3) A "future full service" was included by the seller in the final price price of this car when it was listed on BAT. Has the work done on the car since it was sold in December been anything more than what the BAT seller paid for? If so, what exactly? Any estimate on what was spent dollar wise?

4) What paperwork and history came with the car? I never saw much on the BAT listing

Thanks

10. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    That was the car I couldn't wait to be outbid on. That seller was smug SOB.
    And thank God, because it opened the way for me to find and purchase my White/White Monospechio.

Murph4Enzo and AHudson like this.
  11. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    I should clarify my statement that this in no way is meant to disparage the car.
    I believe you buy the seller has much as the car. That's especially true in the new online auction world.
    That guy left so much money on the table just by being a snide jerk.

12. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    White/white mono. The holy grail!
    yeah, that BAT seller was a moron :(

hence my questions.

Murph4Enzo and TJsBeer like this.
  13. Daniel McCarthy

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Danny Mac

Some answers to your questions:

First off, I do not know the previous seller, and he did not do himself any favors on the BAT auction. He was very easy to work with post sale so I have nothing negative to say there. And the car was as advertised.

He was supposed to do a "service," before sending to me. After talking to him, it seemed like he was either involved with a shop, or maybe had some connections and could get a "buddy deal." I just didn't want to wait for the car to be done, and I also really trust my guy here in Dallas so I chose to just have him ship the car, and I took care of everything myself.

I honestly already felt a little bad for the guy. I would have bid the car up to $150k but he got trolled early and hard, and did not respond with care. I didn't exactly know what I was going to get, so I chose the route of just taking the car as is, and dealing with it in Texas.

When I got the car, it really didn't have any surprises, and was much better in real life than the pictures even portrayed. So, on to your questions:

1. I forgot about the TMU until you literally just brought it up. I need to go back and look. I remember when purchasing it that is was a super close number that someone mis typed at some point. I really can't remember what the issue was there, but I know that I saw it, was not alarmed by it, and hadn't thought about it sense. I actually like that stuff, because it tends to stall out auctions, and usually isn't anything. I am happy to dig this back up and try to deal with it for any serious buyer.

2. I did an extensive detail, clean and condition on the interior, but no replacement. I asked my tech James about it. He really encouraged me not to do it. He said "as soon as you start working on this leather, you are going to know that you did it, and it looks pretty darn good as is). I think the interior shows pretty well, better than it looked in the photos for sure.

3. As stated above, I passed on this "future service" and handled it myself, with my trusted team that works on my other Ferraris and Porsches. The total on the invoice was $20,000 - and I listed what was done in the post above. I would stay a "standard" engine out on this car should cost about $13,500. So the additional was just the additional work. Clutch, radio, speakers, a fuel tank issue, etc. I am NOT a mechanical guy. I trust James, and asked him to do literally everything he saw that was needed.

4. The paperwork is spotty at best. I have paperwork for an engine out service done in 2014, a timing belt service in 2005. I have a printout from a previous owner that reads as an affidavit of sorts he mentions 2 engine outs since 2005, and it reads as if he sent them to the next owner, but I don't have the printouts. He states the Ferrari had a major service in 2005 from Ferrari of Ontario, and states that Ferrari of Ontario changed their software system and could not supply him with receipts from work done prior to that. Then he states 2 more engine out services before 2017.

So, I only have a record of the service in 2005, then mentions of services between 20015 and 2017, and then I have the service I just competed in 2022.

Based off of the condition, my assumption is that these services were completed, but I was not given record of all of them. I know this is crazy for a lot of people, but some of these guys just don't care about keeping records. If it wasn't for my amazing wife, I wouldn't have any of my Ferrari records either :)

I have a dealers license in Texas so that I can purchase these cars without having to pay taxes. My wife is by the book and we chose this way vs the somewhat gray way in Montana. This is not my main gig, I just do this for fun and sell a few cars a year that I either bought with the intention of selling, or decide that I am bored of.

I hope this helps, and I am happy to jump on a call to discuss with anyone. I can face time, send more photos, and for any serious buyers I can set up a PPI and/or get you on the phone with James, the technician.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Daniel McCarthy

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Danny Mac
    I can get you better pictures of the interior, those were the best from the shoot the other day.

I have one interested party right now, but no deposit. He has a question on maintenance records which may deter him as well. I will update the crew here if he moves forward or not in the next week or so. I have big budget meetings Monday/Tuesday so probably will not respond here until Wednesday.

Thank you for your interest and questions. Appreciate all of the feedback.

mkraft3003 likes this.
  15. Daniel McCarthy

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Danny Mac
    also, my apologies. I do have the 2014 Engine out record. Sorry all of those numbers got me confused.

16. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    this thread went super quiet. Any updates?

JSinNOLA likes this.
  17. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    4 days later and no updates. Cricketts

OK then

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this car is white on tan, no?

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As the headrest detail shows, this interior is actually NOT tan, but Crema, a much lighter shade than the FOUR different Ferrari "tans" IMO.
    It's a wonderful compliment to the white exterior...

Beautiful car!

Looks pretty well detailed with the engine out,
    GLWS!

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looking thru ALL the interior pictures again, I don;t see ANY of the interior that requires attention.

I personally don't like the dash issues that can crop up with sun exposure (in Texas!!) but Canada would not "leave it outside" and from your historical narrative the Engine Services show a well cared for car. I see no dash issues at all.. in the pictures

It's really beautiful.
    A good TR would be a satisfying thing, in my mind!!!

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Crema is an almost off white, about the color of my coffee with LOTS of cream, hence the name I guess.

*getting up and heading to the kitchen*
    :D :D :D

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As to the TMU I would think that could be a Titling error in ANY of the previous states of residence?
    The only time it would concern me would be if a Repair Order indicated a speedmoter failure.

Or possibly a KM to MPH change??
    Who knows.....condition conditio condition.
    Everything is else quibbles.....

23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Cars amazing!

BigTex likes this.
  24. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Greg was referring to my car which is white/white.
    This car in the ad above is indeed white/crema

ttforcefed likes this.
  25. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller