1992 Ferrari 512 TR For Sale, Recent Service, 18,400 miles | FerrariChat

1992 Ferrari 512 TR For Sale, Recent Service, 18,400 miles

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by meandmyredcorvette, Feb 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Selling my Fly Yellow/Black 512 TR. The car has 18,400 actual miles, tubi exhaust, yellow brake calipers and upgraded sony sound system.

Car had recent engine out belt service performed on 9/26/13 by Black Horse Motorsposrts in LA at 17,800 miles. Car runs and drives great! Car has been repainted at some point in its life.

Please call me if you are interested and I can provide you the details. 703-625-1285

2. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Can you share your asking price please? Also, location? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Kenny

I am asking $99,500

I live in VA

4. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Appreciate the quick reply. Can you post some pictures? Also, the reason for the repaint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Kenny

I recently had the car advertised on ebay item # 261385419581. You should be able to pull it up under that # under an advance search.

Car was involved in minor fender bender in 1993 that required a repaint. Of course it is difficult to simply repaint one area so the owner decided to have the car repainted. Feel free to come down and inspect the vehicle inside and out yourself. I have a Direct Lift that I store my cars on that you can look under the car to confirm the integrity of the car. The price I am asking is an outstanding price considering the mileage and condition of the vehicle. I have clear title to the vehicle in hand. I am the second owner of the car and have the name and number of the first owner. I purchased the car from a collector in California that owns several ferraris.

6. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Just relisted 512 TR on ebay today. Item # 261393989175. Hope you like the pics! Car is really nice.

7. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    MEMBERS

Please share with my why this car has not sold yet. I am puzzled. I am looking for honest opinions. The car had a recent out of engine service a few hundred miles ago at the end of last year. Although the car was involved in minor accident several years ago, repairs were made professionally, no structural damage, clean title. Price reflects this. This car would be worth around $110K to $120K with this low mileage and more docs without accident history. I am one to be honest and disclose this information. If someone buys my car they are buying a car that is a great car! Car runs like a top and drives straight as an arrow, great integrity.!! Priced to sell! Can't figure it out. Waiting for input.

Thanks!

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Your car has been for sale one week and you think that is a long time. Honestly, it will take a bit to sell any exotic, even when priced aggesively.

Also you have no history here; meaning you have not been here for years speaking of your car where someone says hey XYZ's car is for sale if you want a great car go buy it and additionally many people just won't buy a car which has any accident history regardless of how minor it was. JMO.

9. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    A few thoughts, and please take them as they are intended - honest opinions from someone who has Ferrari ownership in mind.

1. It is yellow. While that is nice in the sense that it sets your car apart from the sea of red, it also means that you have a limited set of buyers as there is a sea of red for a reason - it is very popular. I know that I personally am not interested in a yellow sports car.

2. The 512TR sits right in the middle of the price range for 360s & 430s. It is going to be tough for a lot of buyers to go for the 512TR when they can stretch a bit more and get a 430, or save a few pennies and get a 360 (both of which are great cars).

3. Mileage isn't that low. 18,000 *is* low, but it isn't below 10,000 miles and that seems to be a magic number for real premium prices. 5000 miles is even better. On the other hand, it isn't quite high enough for someone looking for a driver. I personally have a target of between 20-30k as a sweet spot for a car that has been driven but is still new feeling. You are below that spectrum, but not by that much.

4. Most people don't get the difference between a 512TR and a Testarossa - but they do get the price difference. Again, that limits your market to EDUCATED buyers, and sadly they are often a rare breed. Probably the strongest market for 512TR sales are previous Testarossa owners who are willing to pony up the sizable chunk of cash to upgrade their experience.

With regards to price, I am going to respectfully decline to comment on whether it is appropriate or not, because quite honestly I am not qualified to comment on that.

Best of luck with the sale - I hope your lovely car finds a great home.

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #10 vjd3, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    As someone who is shopping, albeit though not seriously considering a purchase at this very moment, I am intrigued with the car, but note that the asking price on eBay is $10k higher than your price on here. The repaint history will likely deter some buyers as it makes the resale more challenging on the other side; perhaps including a link to a Carfax or Autocheck might be a help to buyers on the fence.

Also, your profile notes that you are in Virginia, and the car has a major service done in California last year ... were you the owner at the time the service was completed or did you buy the car afterwards and decide to sell it pretty quickly? If so, you might say why.

Also, I don't think you're helping your cause on the eBay auction by noting that a major service can run $5k-8k ... that might scare off buyers who are not familiar with the marque but intrigued by the car. The bill you posted is more in the $5k range.

If it were my car, I would reword the auction, include a CarFax, invite (or perhaps pay for and post) a prepurchase inspection by both a mechanic (leakdown/compression) and a qualified body shop to assess the repaint and repair, and try to provide some relevant data to recent 512TR sales (or other 512TRs for sale currently) if you can find any, or perhaps book values from the Black Book CPI guide, etc, to set your asking price within a range of other examples.

Also, posting photos of the car here instead of an eBay link (that isn't really link -- not everyone knows how to search by item number) would be a good idea. Great pics will help sell a car like this.

Just my two cents ... I think it's a beautiful car and the color is not a deterrent for me, personally.

11. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    FACTS:

You can find a Testarossa for $35 to $50 all day. Add $10 for a major.

OPINION:

Do not feel there is a $40 gap, the yellow doesn't help and if you truly want to move this thing - $68 to $80 is realistic..

BEST WISHES

12. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Unfortunately people think their various Ferrari's are worth more than they are, generally because others (who aren't trying to sell a car) tell them that. It is only when you go to sell it you find out what it is really worth. A quick scan of the ones sold, or listed and not sold, on ebay will show what others are willing to pay. Look at how many really mint Testarossa's are listed for sale on Fchat that arent selling at what appear to be very good pricing.

13. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #13 spdrcr, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
    Well, you may be opening a can of worms here, but from the service photo posted in your eBay ad it appears you may have acquired the car from the infamous <removed personal name> who previously brought us wildly entertaining threads such as this ad here on F-Chat last year -

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferraris/417864-only-le-mans-blue-355-spider-bordeaux-interior-19-hres-17k-just-%2459k.html

Given the questionable history of that car it doesn't really bode well for your 512TR, especially when paired with the disclosed accident history.

Also, personally, I'd be concerned about a major engine-out service on a 512TR that only ran $5K. That's that ballpark for an engine-in 360 service. As a buyer I'd be worried this service may not have addressed other common items that get done at the same time as a typical engine-out. I don't know though, maybe a Testarossa/512TR service can be done at that price. This is all just my humble opinion - since you asked.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #14 Kevin Rev'n, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    I love your car and totally understand that they have been undervalued for a long time. I think people are used to seeing those ridiculously low
    prices for them which has been the norm for a long time. How long has it been that you could pick one up for less than a 360? I have only been around
    for a few years but this has been the norm since I got interested in Ferrari.

So now it appears that some are starting to see the value in the cars and the pioneers are starting to sell super perfect cars for big bucks. I
    actually don't know if they are selling but I see that some asking prices are starting to show up that are 2X times what they were just a short
    while ago. That's a big jump IMO and you have to have the patience to wait for the market to catch up to you if you are going to be a pioneer.

Here's the normal mind set:
    When you buy a car you take a hit. We all know that you are going to take a hit right? That hit is called depreciation. There are ways to combat the
    depreciation. Usually this is done with improvements to bring the car up to museum quality (matters a lot more with an ultra low mile car) or in the
    case of an expensive to maintain car...lots of recent maintenance. This of course costs money which can help to offset the depreciation but the norm
    is that the car is still depreciating.

Here's the equation for the normal mind set.
    Cost to purchase car + upkeep and maintenance AND improvements > The cars present value

I think what you are pursuing is different than what I have laid out. I think you and a few others are making the market for these cars now. I think
    it is long overdue and we are here witnessing it unfold. I happen to think you are right but I am tifosi. Love your car, I am also one of those rare
    persons who are not afraid of yellow. You must understand that a large percentage of the market that you are trying to tap into is terrified of
    yellow. I am also not afraid a correctly repaired car, if completely documented, as is a very large percentage of the market you are trying to tap into.

My .02

15. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    #15 g4titan, Feb 12, 2014
    Wow man! Good detective work...

16. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I believe the last 512TR with a paint/accident history sold for $62K (IIRC) on eBay to someone here on Fchat. about 1-2 months ago. Red, with red/black interior and chrome wheels. The paint history hurts you. The number of buyers is limited, as others have said. Good luck, but you should be prepared to take a discount if you are in any type of hurry.

17. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I appreciate everyones input. The photos posted on ebay are actual photos of the engine out service that was performed at Black Horse in September 2013. The car was located in California and the seller arranged to have the serviced performed at Black Horse before the car was delivered since I agreed and knew who Black Horse was. I stand behind my car and I am more than happy to have any and all prospective buyers have both a mechanical and body and frame inspection completed by a certified Ferrari mechanic and body shop. The car is located close to Washington Ferrari in Sterling VA. The car speaks for itself. At the end of the day this car is a great 512TR. Is it a trailer queen ...no. Is it a great driver that can be enjoyed for under $100K..absolutely!

Please keep any suggestions coming. I do not take anything personal as we all have our own opinions. I find that it is constructive to hear from my fellow Ferrarians.

Thanks!

18. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    So you just purchased the car in the last 6 months and now you are selling, that is unfortunate.

19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    And he only got to put 600 miles on it!!

20. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Have a quick story....

Recently purchased a house. Sold 5 cars to gut house and remodel. One of the cars was a 2006 Heritage Heffner Twin Turbo Ford GT. Sold it for $255K. Had it listed on Dupont Registry at the time for $325K. Didn't get one call. Phone is now ringing off the hook and folks leaving messages that they will pay north of $400K for the car. Funny isn't it.

Moral to the story... patience is a virtue. These cars will be worth some bucks one day. If I am patient I will get my money and then some. The car is a great car!

21. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    #21 radlu, Feb 12, 2014
    +100

22. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    IMO when people are looking for a Testarossa they look for the least expensive. TRs are worth more for numerous reasons and therefore are shied away. If you want a TR you know what you are looking for.

I believe yellow is a fantastic and rare color for a TR and I would love to have it if I were shopping, so I think your car is brilliant. Having said a TR shopper knows what he is looking for and most likely knowledgeable, my belief is they see you as some one flipping the car for some reason.

I hunted for these/TR at one point and yellow was on the list, not red. I wanted a well sorted and maintained car that had been driven. Low miles are over rated if there are good records of maintenance. I also wanted a committed owner.

I wish you luck. As I said the car is brilliant.

23. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    To clarify the reason I am selling my car is that I ended up buying my brothers Shelby Series 1. I made a commitment to him to buy his car when he was ready to sell it. He was ready to sell so I bought it knowing that I would have to sell one of my cars. I am a collector and am committed to certain cars in my collection, especially my corvette collection. Some of these corvettes have been featured in several corvette magazines and corvette books. Although I love my 512 TR I cannot keep everything I buy. I am someone that buys a car when he wants and I do not worry about losing money when I am ready to sell a car. Unfortunately I am not Jay Leno and cannot keep everything that I buy.One had to go and this one was the most recently purchased car in my collection. I already had a connection to the other cars and I would not sell some of my cars no matter what someone would offer me. Had I not purchased the Series 1 this car would not be for sale. It is that simple. No secrets, no surprises. The 512 TR is a great car! I always wanted a 512 TR and can say that I owned one and enjoyed it just like my Ford GT that I owned and sold.

24. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    I love it and would certainly consider it if I were shopping.

25. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hate to see her go! Just lowered price to $90K for quick sale. Purchased the car for $95K plus taxes, transportation, new battery and starter. Someone is going to get a nice car for the money!!