1993 500SL or "I might have messed up" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1993 500SL or "I might have messed up"

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ATSAaron, Oct 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice! I'm so happy to hear how well it's turning out. My mother had a 1995 SL500 and sold it in 2003 with over 120k miles due to the frequency it was going into the shop. I recall the radiator was having issues (similar to our family's '98 740iL around the same time). The SL was a blast to drive and had a ton of low end torque. The funniest part was when going around a corner too fast, the rollbar would automatically go up. Not sure if it was funny in hindsight if the car was close to flipping over, but it always felt planted to the ground.

I still love the looks of the 1999+ SLs with the AMG bodykit (bumpers, sideskirts, and mirrors) and projector headlights. The updated interior was nice, too, but it was more the outside that looked sharp. Maybe one day...

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Looks like you haven't "messed up" yet. If I did something like that, it'd be a basketcase.

3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#28 Bradwilliams, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These cars really are superb value for money. Excellent build quality. And the fixer uppers are great value as long as they're clean. Just finished fixing the top on mine. It's a clean car, needed the top seals replaced, and a few interior plastic bits of course. But all told I'm in it for about $7500. Total cost of fixing the top was $1500 stole the car at 6 grand last spring. Car has 110k on it, interior is in excellent condition, and I drive it all the time with no remorse. Looks great with the hardtop on on. I had a 450sl prior and this is 100x the car, and equally as pretty if not more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    The SL looks great, but please tell me more about the 740!

5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    For all that is holy, sell me your e38 if you decide to part with it. I love mine.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My father has a 98 sl and an 04 sl. Wants to sell the 04 and is keeping the 98

7. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Love the looks of that blue ferrari.

8. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great work so far.

9. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Haha. Absolutely. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime in the near future, but if the day ever comes, you'll be the first one I'll call. I'll send you a PM here.

I grabbed it out in Los Angeles about 3 years ago. I had been unaggressively pursuing an imola sport short for about 5 years, and finally caved on that one. It's fully sorted and the paint is near flawless. 206k miles and rising. It's the 2001 final year and is an M sport short. There's other cars out there that I wouldn't mind using as a daily but I don't think I could ever part with it. It's just too pretty and exudes finesse!

10. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #35 ATSAaron, Oct 30, 2016
    Lots of progress. I rebuilt all twelve of the top hydraulic cylinders. Well actually I rebuilt eleven, destroyed one, and bought a rebuilt one off eBay. Oh well. Now the top is 90% functional. It goes down without issue, but runs into problems when you put it up. I suspect the windshield micro switches are not sending the "I am latched" signal to the controller. I need to pull the error codes to find out.

The Ac is cold, but the heater valve is leaking. $40 for a used one on eBay. The passenger seat controller has gone haywire. $80 on eBay for one that isn't corroded like mine. So far it has nickeled and dimed me to about $2300.

11. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    What a great thread, and great you can do so much stuff yourself! Once shes running better/ready for quick rides, hopefully you fully flush the brake system and put some new tires on it (as long as you can steer and stop safely, the rest is secondary :) ) I love this era 500SL (and the last 5 and 7 series BMW before bangle per the prior comments as well) 80-early to mid 2000s = some great years for BMW/Mercedes.

Bradwilliams likes this.
  12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#37 Bradwilliams, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Make sure you have the cylinder latches reattached to the top properly. If one of the latches with the switches is on backward it will throw off the sequence and not work properly.

Yep. Bangle was a terrorist to that company from within. BMW was on a prolific roll from about 1995-2002. Every car they made was gorgeous and a blast to drive. The bangle butt came in to play, and everyone fled over to Audi. They gave their market share away! Pretty insane. These SL500s are timeless. They're 20+ years old now and haven't aged a day. They would definitely have shown their age by now. They'll always look good no matter what era we find ourselves in. The R230 is a very pretty car, but it has began to show its age already. The tops on those cars cost a fortune to repair from what I've heard.

13. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Well it healed itself somehow. I started the top lowering process, and decided to stop in the middle to inspect the microswitches. So I moved the button the other direction and the top closed fully. Then it opened fully, then it closed fully, then it opened fully.....fun to play with a new toy. haha. I'm not sure why but stopping in the middle of the opening process and closing the top made the top controller re-sync with all the switches and now she's a happy car.

Aaron

NYC Fred likes this.
  14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nice. You had much better luck than I did. Is the roll-bar working? And is that a 928 S4 I see hiding back there? :)

15. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #40 ATSAaron, Oct 31, 2016
    Yes the roll bar works and yes, it's a 1990 928 S4. Here is a picture from when I surprised Christin with it. We have chrome 996 turbo twist wheels on it now.

Aaron

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Excellent! Is it a manual? :)

17. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Congrats the R129 are very reliable and superb when maintained properly.

18. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #43 ATSAaron, Nov 7, 2016
    I took Christin (wife) for a ride yesterday. She was genuinely surprised by the horsepower and the brakes. The 500SL is running great. I don't have my driver seat back from repair yet but the picture Craig sent me looks great. (I used some jet ski hydroturf foam as a back rest).

"This one might be a keeper" she said.

BTW this Craig guy in California is pretty crafty. He visits the local junk yards and scavenges the back seats out of wrecked Mercedes. Then he disassembles them and uses the material to make repair panels, or full seat covers for the front seats using genuine Mercedes leather. He charged me $50 to replace the DS outside bolster. Fifty bucks! That's it! It cost me $48 to ship it there and back, haha.

Anyway the car is doing well. I shampooed the carpets and got all the bad smells out. I replaced both power seat controllers (they had some water damage), and so far the only thing not working is the seat belt height adjuster on the DS. I have a scheme to fix it on the cheap, but it's going to take some time to disassemble it.

The top is finally working as it should. I made some mistakes along the way. There are two cylinders that require a special pin spanner to disassemble. I managed to get one apart with some needle nose pliers and rebuild it. The other one I destroyed. Oops. A rebuilt replacement one cost me $200 (as opposed to a $12 seal kit). I spent $325 rebuilding the cylinder myself, plus wasted $40 in fluid because each time I rebuilt one I tried to test the top. That caused a new leak at a different cylinder each time. There is a company that will rebuild all 12 cylinders for $550. So I saved $225, but it was a big risk, had I ruined just one more cylinder I would have been in a DIY hole. If you aren't comfortable with hydraulics and wrist pin circlips shooting across your shop/garage then just pay the guy, be patient, and wait. I suck at waiting and I lose interest quickly, then projects just sit around.

Seat back should be here Wednesday, then off to the body shop for bumper pait, PDR and buff/detailling.

Aaron

19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nice! You brought that thing back to life in a hurry! I'd drive her as a daily for awhile. Can't be a happy car after sitting so long!

20. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Excellent progress! That was quick!

21. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #46 ATSAaron, Nov 16, 2016
  22. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    updates?

23. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I had a 1991 sold new to my mom. I regret selling it in 2010 or 11. Great car for cruising in.

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    nice color.
    good thing you are handy.
    reviving one of those can run 5-10k.

Bradwilliams likes this.
  25. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Combing back through this thread and I'm glad to hear this as I just bought a 1990 that was pretty well maintained but has been sitting in storage for the past six or seven years. It runs and drives but I'm sure I'm in for about 5 grand in service. A new wiring harness would not be fun. Are the 600 harnesses exponentially more expensive that the 500? I chatted with a broker in Indianapolis once who claimed that the 600 wiring harness was pushing 10 grand. Sounded high to me. I have two of these now and I really don't want to part with my black one. It's very clean despite the higher mileage (it's at 126k now).