1993 Mondial T Cabriolet Valeo Rare Chiaro blue | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1993 Mondial T Cabriolet Valeo Rare Chiaro blue

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Scaledetails, Nov 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    ^^^ What he said.

Run don't walk.

2. gaspump

gaspump Karting
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2013
    SE indiana
    Full Name:
    bill
    Wow, not sold yet, and after getting a full asking price for it. I wonder what the problem is? Maybe it's because it has no records, or no known owners? I'll call you out for what you are. Just a flipper, no more no less. You have no more interest in your cars than the next dollar.

3. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Bro... Stephane has a good reputation here - while I can't vouch for this car specifically, as I don't have any personal knowledge of it, I think you're a bit out of line in stating your assertions without any evidence other than "it hasn't sold yet".

If I'm wrong, I'm sure others will chime in to refute me.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #54 godabitibi, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    One thing is sure, he doesn't own them for very long. Since I bought his blue sera Mondial 3.2cab less than 2 years ago I can't count how many cars he has owned and sold since. I can't say if he flips them for profit but for the price he is selling the margin can't be that much. Maybe just the thrill of owning so many exotics.

BTW I think he owned mine for less than 2 months from the paperwork I had.

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Here's my take on Scaledetails: (1) he love cars (2) he loves stuff (3) he loves sales.
    We've never met, though we've spoken on the phone many times. Stephane may embrace the concept of "flip", but he does it with honor !!! I believe you'll never be lied to, by Staphane. Lying to us, would be way too costly ..............

Cheers, Hank

7. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    So is this car for sale? Thanks.

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    So why do you care if he flips cars? Why don't you subscribe to FChat before attacking long time members? I have had 10 Ferrari's, one each year for 10 years + the muscle cars and Porsche's I mess with. Stephan is in the same city as me, and I have only met him in person twice.

You two should get a beer together or something, as I doubt you are this confrontational with people in real life.

PS: I DO flip cars for fun and profit, and guns and vintage guitars:

jealous much?

9. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I am 50 years old and have owned (at last count) over 70 cars. That includes a double digit number of Porsches. Am I flipper? By no means. Cars are my vice.... I don't smoke, rarely drink and being twice divorced I now spend my money on what I want when I want.

Maybe Stephane is a flipper. Or, just maybe, he enjoys buying cars, driving them for a while, then passing them on. I can certainly think of worse ways to spend money.

Either way, from what I have seen the cars he offers are nice, the prices are very fair, and from the feedback on the forum he is an honest seller.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yikes, Bill. :eek:

As DesertDawg said, if you lodge an allegation like that about both a person and the car on offer then you had better bring your evidence to the table if you want to be taken seriously. Stephane has an excellent reputation and is well-known for both the variety of his exotic choices and for reasonable sales to other members. Until such evidence is presented to prove otherwise, I am personally inclined to trust his presentation of the car as honest, accurate, and complete. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Thanks for all the support everyone. I am touched by those replies, turns out you all know me well. I wish I was a "flipper" if that meant making money on them but my passion is cars and as Claude said, I am always after the "thrill" of owning them. Some I could never even afford and some I never thought of owning, but I have this passion and when I die, I will die a happy man. With that said, this particular Mondial is an absolute stunning car to look at and drive and I stand behind it 100%. I only placed it for sale in this forum as I know this is where the serious buyers/owners are. Not making a dime on it, but I had fun with it and to me, this was all worth it, I never had a Valeo and now I can say I owned one.
    I will continue to buy cars that get my attention and I will probably never stop this disease but this is what makes me happy. I am not a millionaire and I don't have a 401K but I like to spend my disposable income on these toys and my inventory always changes ;)

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    OK guys! I didn't want to get involved here but with this last statement I couldn't stay quiet. I really don't like to say negative things about people and Stephane is a member that seem to have respect.

I bought a car from him and in my opinion the above sentence was too much for me. I'm not saying Stephane is not a good person and can't be trusted. The car he sold me was a good car that I enjoyed and loved.

But frankly his way of describing a car and mine are different. I would not say the last words did fit with MY purchase.

Now I know I've opened a can of worms and Stephane may react toward me but I can stand it.

13. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Claude,

If I remember correctly I sold you my Sera 3.2 for $22K with implications that I would buy it back at anytime if you ever wanted to sell it back. I knew this car very well, and I knew it would always hold its value relatively speaking so my $22K would have been safe. Not sure where I may have "mislead" you there. We both knew the car was 24 years old with true mileage and it ran very well.
    When I look at a Ferrari this old with this many miles and in this price range, my expectations are considerably less than the average buyer. Why? I have bought more than 100 cars sight unseen, so I have learned to deal with things that are not as important to me. Some cars age more than others, but in the end they are all cars. I love every imperfections my cars have, I don't want them to be garage queens. I am not at all into that stuff. When I get a rock chip or if something breaks that can be fixed or replaced I don't have an emotional reaction. Cars get wear and tear just like we do.
    I remember a guy flying in to look at another Mondial QV I had for sale about 10 years ago. He put white gloves on and went over the car for about 2.5 hours feeling it over and under. I knew right then this guy would never own a Mondial, and he never did. He moved on to Porsches.
    I get a kick out of seeing newbies wanting to enter the Ferrari ownership expecting their initial purchase to be all the money they spend. They want to buy the car expecting to have have zero expenses down the road. Boy are they wrong. I consider my purchase just the down payment. With that mindset I never worry about what I buy as long as I do my homework. I can't remember ever being dissappointed with all my sight unseen purchases. I also can't remember not having to spend money on a car just after getting it. It was hard writting a $48K check to get my last Diablo back from service before I could put it on the market but in the end that's the price you pay to play with exotic cars.
    My point for all this is if for those that are skeptical and anal about spending Honda Civic money for a beautiful driving Ferrari then they probably should really be looking at something else.

14. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    #64 Gumart1, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    I don't think it's fair to attack Stephane, with the understanding that this section is about selling cars, and unless a warranty is included, it is 100% on the Buyer to do his due diligence and make an educated decision.

I understand his passion for cars but I do believe Stephane is human
    and can make mistakes too. He is here to sell a car. I inquired about the car and I would say that it is a "potential" mess, with little history, records, or even personal ownership experience from which to make an educated decision. I feel the listing points out the best in the car, not the worst but the rest is up to the Buyer to find out. It may be a deal, it may be a financial nightmare. He mentioned what it was advertised for prior to his purchase, I don't care about that, and comments about breaking even don't mean a thing to me because there is no way to prove it and it's not relative to what it is worth today on the open market. My highest respect goes out to the members who take the time to list the bad and the unknown with great detail, some honest sellers have done that on this forum and they earn my full trust and willingness to take a chance. This car is for someone who likes to take risks. May be a great car at a great price, or maybe not. Either way, GLWS.

15. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #65 Scaledetails, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Someone sent me this link which helps shed a little light on the car itself.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/384341-93-mondial-t-valeo-cabrio-blue-ppi.html

The date looks correct as this would have been when the previous owner bought it, and he did spend some money on the car according to what the dealer told me but he would not give me the details. The obvious ones are the top is now blue and it's the real factory deal, which explains why it looks new. The seats and some interior trim have since been touched up. There is no dash light on, and the underchassis is a lot cleaner. I personally removed the tint and replaced the wheels with 348 ones.
    I drive it almost daily and notice nothing out of the ordinary, it runs perfect, no smoke, noises, etc. As Marty noted, it is the buyer's responsibility to do his/her homework, and I am not giving anyone a guarrantee, or at least not at this price. I also don't think I made a mistake buying a "one of one" Ferrari under $30K. I will do it again as I always do. I am an impulse buyer and I don't need anyone's advice on buying Ferraris anymore. I think I could write a book on that subject.
    I am in no hurry to sell, I enjoy her and when the time is right she will move on to someone else.

16. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    IIRC, this Mondial came out of Arizona, yes? If so, I sold the owner (at the time) my blue 456GT, and he was selling his Mondial. I would have given him a trade in credit, but he wanted (at the time) more for the Mondial than I was selling my 456 for.

Perfect color and I want a transmission of the Valeo variety...afraid if I buy this car wife will divorce m.

17. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    As someone who sold over 35 corvettes and trans ams during the late 80's and early 90's muscle car craze, I can somewhat speak to the attention (good and bad) that someone who sells (flips) cars of a particular breed gets over time. We are always a good resource for car availability and price action and can gather a certain reputation based on past sales experiences (good and bad). IMO, certain negative reactions can sometimes be traced to past buyers getting past themselves and caught up in the purchase itself and not performing an appropriate self examination of the potential car. Not always. Sellers describe cars (opinion) and buyers hear what they want (sometimes). It is the buyers responsibility to determine truth from opinion.

I don't know Stephane so I cannot speak to this particular situation.

18. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Yes, it is the one!

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    HEhEhEhEh :)............. the wheels are turning now - - keep fingers and toes clear !!!

Brian, it's Xmas time. Time to buy the little lady of your dreams, a gift of her dreams. Then, go get yourself one too !!! :):):)

Cheers & Happy Holidays,

Hank

I'm dying to see how this all pans out ...................

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well and the price being asked for is less than the Mercedes GL she got in July! Stop tempting me Hank!

21. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    And my full price plus offer had conditions attached. I had offered one of two cars of greater value in exchange. So it wasn't a straight up cash deal, or this would be mine now.

Stephane said he needs space. So my car swap wasn't going to work.

I am putting every penny into the company I am about to launch right now. This car was to be a gift as part of that launch.

22. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I totally understand that. Business first. No worries though, I am in no hurry to sell it, who knows, maybe once you are launched it will still be available? Best of luck with your company Stan.

23. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #73 hank sound, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Hi - - Step back to (even before) 1992. Both sides of F1 shifting had not yet even been revealed to the public. Valeo + Lancia Group B world off road team + Ferrari (do the research), gave us the first half of F1 shifting. Clutch actuation was done for us (on demand). When I want to shift, the clutch is operated as if it were a robot controlled by my thoughts (in under 100 ms).

To answer your question regarding the low numbers of these cars ordered with the Valeo clutch system: unfamiliarity, fear, doubt and (this one still continues) the blind eye and a wall of inflexibility.

gaspump, when I started my search (for something that had more room than a 348) - I didn't know a 3.2 from a "t". And just what the hell was this Valaaaho thing!!!! ?? Well, I learned - - and 9 years later, I love it more than I did in year one!! It truly is the best of both worlds.

Do the homework before you jump into a lake filled with some very funny looking and acting fish. And then, when your $pump starts to flow the purchase price, it will be focused - and will culminate with a happy gaspump :)
    !!

Cheers, Hank

24. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #74 godabitibi, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    It's really hard to understand why this car is not sold yet. For a T it is cheap. Mileage is not too high. Valeo is extremely rare. The color combo can't be better (IMHO). Hank is here to testify these cars are dependable.
    Honestly if I could afford it right now I would really be there to look at it. No matter history or not. If the car is up to your expectation after inspection go for it.

25. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Probably worse time of the year to sell a car. I am OK with that, I do enjoy her almost daily :)
    I suspect it will move out in a couple of months when real buyers start looking.
    Without sounding like a used car salesman, this car is the steal of the decade in my opinion, but it needs someone like Hank who appreciates the rarity and someone like Claude and myself for the color combo. I know a lot of first time buyers prefer red which is totally understandable.