348 - 1994 Spider Foot Well Relayboard | FerrariChat

348 1994 Spider Foot Well Relayboard

Discussion in '348/355' started by njrockman, Mar 27, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi All, I have been replacing the relays on my 94 348 Spider to the new, plastic versions. I posted a pic of my foot well/rest panel and labeled each relay. When I went to order the new ones from Ricambi – the chart shows four 0 332 014 140 (updated part #175318) relays. Two on top. Two on bottom. I have ...113 in place of one of the 140s on the top next to the K relay. Does anyone know if this is a problem? Not sure what this one does? Should I just replace it with the proper ...140 that it calls for or just leave well enough alone? Thanks for any input on this.

Anthony Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I have shown the function of the four "140" relays on your picture (this is also shown in the Owner's Handbook and on the fuse box cover). The 140-s are different from the 113-s and 151-s (which are standard relays) in one parameter - they are "low pull-in relays". This means that they are able to engage at reduced voltages. Their coil resistance is 65 Ohm whereas the other relays have about 85-90 Ohm. The 140-s are switched on and off by the ECU (i.e. by electronic circuits inside the ECU) and, since there are voltage drops in the electronic switching circuitry, these relays need to have lower coil resistances to provide reliable operation, especially as they have to be "on" during cranking when the battery voltage can drop to 9-10 volts. The standard relays in place of the 140-s will work but, in certain circumstances (weaker battery) they may fail to engage and the engine will not start.

If you search the forum, you will find detailed posts about what relays can be used to replace the NLA 140-s.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thank you for this information! Most helpful!!!

5. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi All, so I'm a dumbass and forgot to simply check my manual or the back of the footwell rest! I made myself this color coded chart for the footwell relays on my 94 Spider, because my dyslexic mind wasn't having any of it. Hope this helps someone! Please contact me with any revisions and I can update if necessary. Thanks!

Qavion likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. I guess relay "g" is some kind of jumper on the Spider, with the window control functions transferred to a separate control unit. I haven't yet seen any spider-specific wiring diagrams, but I imagine most other systems will be the same.

7. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Not sure? But there's a plug in there and shown in the owners manual. Afraid to see what happens if you plug something in there? Maybe it engages the tortellini valve? :D

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Looking at online pictures of the jumper (thanks Ricambi)...

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348/electrical-boards/61936600-bridge.html

... it looks like it links pins 30 and 87 of relay g's socket, which would normally provide battery power to fuses 2 and 23 (driver's and passenger's window systems). Normally the non-spider window relay needs ignition power to operate, but this jumper puts battery power on something at all times (probably the spider's window computer).

Anyway, I digress... :D

9. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Interesting. I will replace that since mine looks to be original. So worried about replacing relays I just overlooked that. I always assumed it was just a plug so you don't put anything in by accident? LOL

Thanks for that!

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #10 Qavion, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Not sure I understand. What have you got at position "g" at the moment?

If you have a spider, I assume you need the jumper plug, not a relay. With a relay fitted there, you probably won't have the facility to raise the windows within a certain time period after turning off the ignition key.

If a jumper was fitted on a non-spider, you may have window control at all times (key off or on), but that may come with security risks.

(EDIT: Or are you just replacing the jumper because you have cash to burn :D . There are no moving parts so-to-speak, so just cleaning the contacts should be fine)

11. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony