1995 456 GT vs 2000 456 GTA | FerrariChat

1995 456 GT vs 2000 456 GTA

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AKINSB, Feb 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
    Interested in both cars. both had stellar exteriors and interiors. Both drove great! Both had similar low miles and recent 30K service. Both appealed to me personally and both priced similarly. Any suggestions as to which way to lean? Suggested current $ value. Potential ease of selling in future. Which prone to more future issues?

I am looking for a fun run car not to be used as a daily driver. Hopefully would keep the car for 5 years. Will probably use for 2K miles/yr.

Either negotiated deal will require PPI

All insight appreciated!

Thanks in advance

AK

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Are you a manual or an auto guy ?

Does the 2000 car have all its fobs ?

3. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
    Would be happy with either! Wonder about potential future issues. Either more prone to malfunctions. Ability to get parts as car gets older? Future ability to sell car.

Performance looks comparable. Read some threads that suggest GTA "more civil" until 4000 RPM and then car takes off. Drove both and enjoyed both! There appears to be fewer manuals available currently. Is that just the current availability or the general trend. Are either models priced higher? ie Manual in greater demand and thus more expensive if all other factors are comparable. Should I expect higher frequency of issues in the older car although both have comparable service records including 30K yet have similar low milage?

Thanks in advance.

AK

4. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #4 2000 456M, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    Since you're looking for a "fun" car on which you'd just put a couple of thousand miles a year, I don't know whether the virtues of either car would be fully appreciated. I'd think that, although it might be more expensive initially, a well-sorted manual transmission 360 would be better suited to your needs. 456s are very expensive to maintain, even when well-sorted. I enjoy my car a lot, but it takes a lot of driving to fully appreciate its virtues. I don't think either car would be my choice if I just wanted a Sunday morning thrash down back roads. I find hard-edged sports cars to be a lot of fun for that, but tiring on trips. I drove my 456M from San Francisco to Portland in a day and felt great when I arrived. Although it can handle the twisties quite well for a car of its size, it is a GT.

However, if you're set on a 456, I strongly recommend the later autobox car. For your backroads travels, put the suspension setting on "sport," and the gear lever in third; turn the ASC off and go scare yourself. :D

paulchua and F456M like this.
  5. Mike-456M

Mike-456M Rookie

Jun 10, 2016
    The 2000 would be a 456M, which has quite a few significant mechanical and cosmetic upgrades over the earlier 456. If you don't mind the automatic (I like mine), and both cars are in similar condition, the later 456M would be the better choice.

F456M likes this.
  6. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Mike, I'm guessing the OP has probably made a choice by now.... ;)

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Some people are slow to decide....gather a lot of data, let their thoughts simmer and age like a fine wine. 5 years ought to do it....

MaurizioAM likes this.
  8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Fair point Eric, it took me two years following a year of “research” to find mine.

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was quick and impulsive. Only took a bit over a year....

10. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I'm in the market for one of the 2 models myself but after driving a 97 which felt a bit rough both ride and every single bit of leather stiff to the touch and then a 01 that cosmically needed many touch-up and new passenger side headlight motor and interior half soft to the touch and half stiff (including a custom made arm rest?) I will probably be taking quite a bit of time to make a decision on what I pull the trigger on.

On another note to keep with the OP topic if anyone has first hand experience with both the models and can be more specific other then what we already know is changed between them please let us know things such as ride differences if there is any. For example during my test drives last week I don't know if the 97 was just a bad example or if the 01 was really that much smoother of a ride.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The ride should be similar, I suspect the 97 needs new accumulators, perhaps shocks as well.

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree with Paul. There shouldn't be that much difference. Shocks, shock actuators (a bit notorious), and the rear accumulators (aka bombs) are the likely culprits here. Second tier might be some suspension bushing gone hard.

paulchua likes this.