1995 456 Radio | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1995 456 Radio

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by alberto, Jul 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  2. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto

Hmm, looks like it is missing most of the wire connections.

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  4. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Alberto, I had the same problem with the radio and after many attempts to find a replacement radio of another brand, I just bought a new Sony radio from Ricambi America that is just like the old one and works with the existing connections.
    Not the perfect solution, but the easiest for sure.

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Alfredo:

Thanks for the reference. I actually had my radio rebuilt and it works fine now.

Alberto

6. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Alberto, that is interesting: I had sent the radio to Sony, but they could not help.
    Who repaired your radio?

7. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Guy happens to be in San Diego, has a somewhat unimpressive web site: radiomanrepair.com. However, he repairs all kinds of stereo's, etc. and know's what he's doing. Give them a call. You will be able to ship him your radio and other components if need be. You get a warrantee for his work. More or less reasonable (a couple of hundred bucks).

Let me know if I can help.

Alberto

8. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    Was in Bass Mechanix in Newcastle (www.bassmechanix.com) this morning, discussing what replacements were available for the non-M radio.

Simply answer - loads!

basically you take any head unit with a full clip off front, and you can quite easily mount that with the rest of the head unit under a seat for instance. and connect the pair via a cable soldered at each end. Takes some guts to solder the cable, but these guys reckoned it was easy.

depending on which head unit (JVC's were shown to me at the time), you may lose the single in-dash CD loading slot with the unit under the seat, but if you've got a multi-changer or iPod connected, does it really matter ?

My OEM Sony works fine, I may add a Harmon-Kardon or Alpine iPod controller at some time, but no rush at the moment.

9. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sit tight - I'll have some options later this week to give you everything you want without having to replace the stock unit. And it'll be less work than re-wiring for a completely new head unit location.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Thanks to Jet-X on this latest 456, radio thread posting for i-Pod hookup : http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222934

11. bugsycloverdale

Feb 28, 2009
    Westchester , NY
    Full Name:
    Ethan James
    i have my radio from a 2000 456 good shape if anyone needs...

12. Panda

Panda Rookie

Jan 5, 2015
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    #37 Panda, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Hi guys!

I have been enjoying my new 456. I am sorting out minor issues such as the radio. I have found possible replacement ideas and want to get your thoughts on these. First I found a thread on another website where someone took a Alpine control head and a pre-made wire harness a did a remote install. Here take a look:

Remote faceplate with Alpines (interconect, wire, solder) - Page 4
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/83793-2006-honda-civic-ex-here-we-go-again-68.html

The harness can be found here:

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/5885002/Alpine/01V35647S01/Extension_Cable_Hda5460

Here is another source for multiple cables for Alpine systems:

https://www.sony.partstore.com/SearchResults.aspx?&ctf=%5B2%20TO%204%5D&ctfn=Parts&q=Cables&cft=Printers%20%3E%20Cables&bf=1072&bfn=Alpine&cf=625&cfn=Misc.%20Parts&sort=salesrank

I looks like he took off the attachment cover plate for the control head on the main radio and attached it to the back of the removable face plate. He then used the pre-made harness to connect the two units. I figure you could get 2 radios, one for the install and the other as a donor for parts for the cover plates. On another website for Land Rovers, a person did basically the same thing, but with a 20 wire computer ribbon cable. I can't find the tread, but that project was a lot of soldering, but was interesting.

Here is another possible solution:

http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

Has anyone seen one of these units up close? This seems very popular for hot rods. Certain marine radios can be mounted in very tight spaces and come with remote head units, but these units are not the normal dimensions for an automotive dash.

Any suggestions? What have you done? Is there another product out there I am not aware of. Has anyone attempted to wire a remote removable control head for a 456? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Panda

13. Panda

Panda Rookie

Jan 5, 2015
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Thanks V,

I saw that post too. Some of those parts are hard to find and will not take advantage of modern sound systems. I am kinda leaning away from that type of system being it would only temporary fix the problem.

Panda

14. Mr Mezzanotte

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    would it be possible to mount a double din unit in front of the gear lever, and move the switches to the space where the sony unit was instead ?

Would require substantial changes, but something like the Parrot Asteroid Smart or RNB6 / Alpine ILX007/700 (all shallow double din) may work.

15. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I don;t think even the Asteroid is shallow enough.
    Not to say that some additional multimedia wouldn't be great today... but don't bother changing to anything else. In 20 years there will be threads from people frantically searching for for the "Ferrari" radio for the non-M.

The original system can be made to accept a Parrot or similar bluetooth kit. Plus, everything about the original system is fixable. Well apart from the LCD display, it can die and go blank (from heat mainly). And that is a (very) difficult one if it happens, as the display is special to the radio, has been for LONG been NLA and second hand radios that use this display extremely difficult to find.
    There may be overvoltage involved as an accelerant because of a flaw in the control circuit. The voltage control is a simple zener diode behind the LCD that is a little overworked.
    Otherwise, the amps and the station memory are perfectly fixable.
    The Sony original is the XTC-U200 (or 201).

16. Mr Mezzanotte

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    I was thinking in front of the gear stick, not in its current location.
    More like where the M radio is fitted, but also move the switches too.

The Asteroid Smart is 11cm deep