1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service | Page 30 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Car is amazing man. :)

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Been awhile since I updated this, tidied up a few more areas on the car.

The 95 never came with a radio and I had the factory radio blanking plate plus an aftermarket alpine radio. I sourced a OEM Sony Ferrari radio for my car, the rare as hens teeth radio surround and the original black radio cage to secure it. Purchased a wiring harness to suit the head unit and connected it all up. Now I have a factory looking setup for the odd occasion I need some tunes. I changed the settings on the unit to go from amber to green back light to match the other instruments, much better IMO.

The radio surround was sticky and I refinished it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider, Robb and Dave rocks like this.
  3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Perfect look, nice work as always :)

MAD828 and Dave rocks like this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The air diverter flap in the front was non functioning. Reading up on here I thought it might be the recirculation boss as the prime suspect, so I ordered the Hill Engineering brass version. It was not the cause though, the motor that drives it had stripped its gears. So I ordered a new evaporator lid actuator 63306700 and fitted both items to make sure it was nicely sorted and operating again.

The shroud that covers the unit and makes a seal with the bonnet vent was cracked, so I sourced another one and refitted it so it was all back to spec.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Whilst the carpets were out in the front compartment I cleaned and detailed the front bay.

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks Jim.

6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    And in September I entered 3 F355's into the Ferrari Concorso all 3 took home awards. My 98 Berlinetta, 95 GTS and a 97 Berlinetta I did a full restoration on for a client.

Some pictures on the day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Now that the concours is over the challenge grill will go back on, the stock exhaust will come off and I'm waiting on my cars xmas present a 2/3 Capristo which is getting made right now, very excited.

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Outstanding.

Robb

MAD828 and Lip viper like this.
  9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Very nice

MAD828 likes this.
  10. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nicely done!

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If I ever get a 355 again and in need of restoration, it is shipping to you!!

MAD828 likes this.
  12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Still love your 355 Elliott, you have done some amazing work man. :)

Dave rocks and MAD828 like this.
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    After the concours I vowed to get the car back to the way I like it and leave it like that. That mean challenge grill, and anything other than stock bypass valve and original exhaust!

I have tried all sorts of exhausts, test pipes, resonated test pipes, cat-less y pipe, Capristo bypass and Gothspeed variants. I have finally settled on a combination that is the best to my ears and I feel the cars performance.

Exhaust:
    Seeing as the stock exhaust was on for the concours judging I took the opportunity to order a Capristo 2/3 and persevered with the stock exhaust and it's lame note whilst waiting the lead time and transit period of the new Capristo. I had not heard a Capristo 2/3 before but had driven both a Level 1 and 3. I bit the bullet on advice from the forum members such as INTMD8, Dave Rocks and Robb and ordered the 2/3 hoping it would be the right one for me.

After testing it, I can say it is perfect for me. Its quieter on idle than the Tubi Evolution and does not suffer from the drone of the Tubi at 3-4000rpm. The only thing I can say is the Capristo at 5000rpm sounds like the Tubi Evolution does at 8000rpm! It is so insane the noise, that I don't have to rev it out anywhere near as hard to get that F1 shriek - perfect.

Catalysts:
    The OEM cats were punched out however I started noticing a rattle from the exhaust traced it to the catalysts. Inside there are two rings in each housing that used to hold the punched out ceramic cores and were now vibrating and rattle causing an annoying sound, I couldn't remove them from the housing.

I picked up a spare set to re-core but have yet to find a suitable exhaust shop nearby yet, this is something id like to do down the track.

I was running out of time to get this sorted so I bought test pipes to mate with the Capristo exhaust install, the first set did not fit! I purchased another set, shortly after driving with them on, I made the call to remove. The reason is I feel the car performs much better with a set of good catalysts on the car. The sound is better and it is more responsive at lower rpm ranges and the engine has more more torque in the low to mid range. Additonal benefits are no more cold start smells and my clothes don't stink of exhaust anywhere near as bad.

I would be very interested to see dyno numbers back to back of a test pipe setup and high flow cats, if there is a difference it might be top end but the feeling of cats in the car seems better plus the other benefits as well as being illegal/non emissions compliant makes the decision to buy and install high flow catalysts the right one IMO.

I picked up a set of Larini high flow cats that are ceramic coated. Read about them here:
    https://www.larinisystems.com/collection/ferrari/f355-challenge/larini-club-sport-exhaust-catalysts-2.7 Fitment was perfect with these and despite the odd ceramic gold coating colour they look great when fitted.

Bypass Valve:

As updated previously I had a Capristo and swapped it out for the Gothspeed offering. I made the switch based on operation and aesthetic as it uses the correct Pierburg valve, which for the 2.7 is important as it now looks OEM correct and it is highly visible.

The Gothspeed bypass unfortunately seized after little use, which was very frustrating. It was sent back and it was rebuilt and updated to new specs apparently. I have heard of others seizing and Ricambi now no longer sells it. I'd bet the issue might be affecting all so check yours regularly. I do hope it is now sorted as it was pricey and looks the part. For the moment it is working great and as it should.

Slow Down Light 1-4:
    For whatever reason while all this exhaust upgrades were happening a slow down light started to plaque me. I changed the Thermocouples to brand new ones made by Dr Bob here via Ricambi. This did not fix my issue but I was happy to have brand new TC as everything was new from the headers back! I then noticed the Cat ECU's were black potted ones and not the updated Green versions. I ordered and replaced those too = so down light gone!

The end result is my car is running fantastic, sounds UNBELIEVABLE and is just the way I want it, which is the most important thing in the end. I will endeavour to get some good sound clips of the car and Lionworks has pointed me in the right direction for proper mic setups to capture the sound. For now its no more tinkering (fingers crossed) and more driving!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

GSF355, BrianNYC14, INTMD8 and 4 others like this.
  14. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    very nice setup..! the Larini cats coated in gold look very nice..

I too went through 5 different exhaust configurations.. but still longing for an aftermarket 5.2 ypipe..! whats currently out there, is just too expensive for what it is..

MAD828 likes this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Excellent feedback, Elliot. I bought both the Larini high flow cats and Gothspeed Bypass a while ago, but have yet to fit them. I don't know if my Gothspeed Bypass valve has been updated, so I'll contact them prior to fitting mine. Thanks for the heads-up on the colour of the Larini cats (They're still in their box).

Cheers,
    Ian

MAD828 likes this.
  16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    If Gothspeed are non responsive to email (as they have been to a friend) send me a picture of your Gothspeed bypass and I can tell you if its been updated from the version I had received initially. Further mine was reboxed and included paperwork to say it has been updated, your box might have the same. My friends bypass was purchased after mine and was updated but it already appears to be seizing up!

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Very nice! Glad you are happy with the final result.

As for cats vs test pipe dyno, mine picked up 10rwhp from cat delete but I also adjusted the throttle linkage and added insulation to the air boxes at the same time so can't really say for sure what each contributed. (would say that I don't think test pipes properly built would result in a power loss).

I can't say for sure how much it matters but as the size of the tubing needs to step down from the header to muffler inlets (as far as cat or test pipe construction), on your test pipes it's a rather abrupt change right after the start of the pipe at the flange and then to get the final angle correct it appears to be crush bent.

When I built mine I used mandrel bends for everything and a long gradual reduction in tubing size. -Seems- like it should flow better that way but who knows, could dyno them back to back and it may not matter.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MAD828 likes this.
  18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Absolutely killer work, Jim. Massive talent:)

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Lmao, thanks Dave, I guarantee you or Elliott and many others could do it on your first try! It's easy. What I really want to learn is Solidworks/Autocad and when I start looking into it my head explodes :D

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, I started TIG welding when I was 20. Did a lot of dragster chassis back then and was pretty good but needed a 9 lens to see. I'm Pretty rusty these days - still have a Miller Syncrowave 250 :)

I learned Acad back in 90/91 and used it hard core for many years. Went full Solidworks in 2009 and never looked back. I can get you going very quickly in a few sessions and I can also lend you a license as we have 2 (which is really 4 as they allow home seats). Let me know when you want to start - it's very easy.

INTMD8 and steved033 like this.
  21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Jim your test pipes are much better than the ones sold and pictured in my post that I received from Super Performance UK. They didn't offer a step down to the muffler and the piping was the same diameter (2.25) the entire way through and crush bent to get the angle it should offer a step down to 2.125 to meet up to the muffler inlet. I complained about this, as it made fitting the exhaust flange almost impossible! Very annoying. Thankfully I was given a credit note for them. I don't think test pipes lose power, for sure they would increase total power on a dyno. But the response with hi flow cats to me feels better. I know from tuning Hondas, flow is important but so is exhaust resonance, and you cant truly optimise power without additional tuning to suit.

I was aiming for the best sound, best reliability+quality of the components, and preferred the catalyst due to emissions.

Another interesting thing is that the F355 exhaust setup is engineered for a more restricted exhaust pathway when bypass is closed and a more open one when its in the secondary pathway. I think the exhaust sounds much better with catalysts as the difference in exhaust note between closed and open is greater. This is why I like the idea of catalysts on the primary side and none on the secondary so you get the highest flow possible and the cleanest most crisp sound up top. I would like one of your masterpiece 2.7 Y pipes!

INTMD8 likes this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Any particular part, Elliot? (valve internals or something?). Do we know what's causing the jamming? What symptoms are there?

Unfortunately, there is nothing in my paperwork to suggest it has been updated.... just installation and Ricambi paperwork. It was one of the latest batches after Goth reappeared after disappearing for a while. If Goth is now MIA again, it looks like I have a very expensive paperweight. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with my old bypass valve. I bought it because my car was making all sorts of unidentifiable noises but now I'm pretty sure they were coming from my gearbox and engine harness rubbing on the fuel tank (Racing Red/Sal's diagnosis)

23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I've been a SolidWorks user since 2004ish. AutoCAD before that. I've been looking into OnShape. It's got a slightly different interface than SolidWorks, but it was created by the same team that invented solidworks. It's in the cloud so you always have the latest version. It's FREE, unless you want to keep your files private (anything you save is visible to the public). I haven't done the tutorials yet, but just opening a file and poking around, it's quite a bit like SW. If you get a seat, and need some pointers, I'm here to help too.

sjd

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks Steve but we own 2 SW licenses and I'm very pleased with it. I hate cloud based stuff - I don't want anyone having my files :)

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    That's very generous of you Dave! I would definitely like to check it out, thank you :)