1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service | Page 37 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I had a technician come out and do a compression check, as I felt the car was slightly down on power especially mid range. I have driven enough F355's now to know how they should run.

Given the car is a 95 with no history of valve guides or the heads coming off I decided to get it tested to know for sure.

The test was performed with a cold engine, 10 cranks per cylinder and WOT. We used a Snap on compression tester. I had a helper video each cylinder so we could see the rate of rise per crank.

Results were as follows:
    1. 175
    2. 165
    3. 165
    4. 145
    5. 140
    6. 160
    7. 160
    8. 150

From here we decided to do a leak down test once the motor was out to see how it checked out.

Results:
    1. 14%
    2. 4%
    3. 6%
    4. 15%
    5. 25%
    6. 7%
    7. 15%
    8. 10%

I could hear the air coming out of intake and exhaust valves on cylinder 5 even without stethoscope, the rest were quiet.

It was decided at this stage to pull the heads and check the tolerances of the guides and level of carbon build up, which from inspection looked to be an issue. The valve guides are indeed still the factory bronze type.

The car shows zero signs of oil use prior to testing, and has approx 37000 miles on the clock.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    With the cam covers removed I striped them of the VHT wrinkle in order to obtain a better finish and more factory correct color.

They were degreased, paint stripped, primed, masked, painted in VHT to obtain the wrinkle and then top coated with Rosso Barchetta 312 mixed into an aerosol can.

I then file finished the raised edges with wet and dry sand paper. Along with the factory correct acorn nuts should really set off the engine bay when it’s all back together.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    f355spider, Qavion, Robb and 2 others like this.
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Great work.

Robb

MAD828 likes this.
  5. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Great thread, thanks for posting. Dumb question...how did you turn over the motor to check compression? Just curious as to your setup. Thumb switch?

6. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Believe he meant that he turned the crank with the throttle plates open but will wait for Elliott to reply.

7. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Just turned over the motor manually?

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The compression test was done with engine still in the car. We had three people. I was cranking from the drivers seat 10 cranks with my foot to the floor, technician with the gauge and my friend filmed each cylinder reading so we could see the rate of rise.

The leak down was performed out of the car so we could easily establish TDC for each cylinder.

emac and Qavion like this.
  9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    When I first inspected the car almost 5 years ago, what caught my eye right away was a mark in the leather quarter window trim on the rear parcel.

With the interior being otherwise pristine, I leapt at the chance to purchase a NOS leather trim part 63543905 in the VM4208 beige as my car was specced with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Now the mark is no longer and the interior remains all factory leather with no re dyes or repairs.

10. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Robb likes this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Beautiful work. Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

I also love my 355, and I take great pride in maintaining and presenting it in absolute peek (and purely original) condition. That said, I can’t say I’m a big fan of the engine bay visuals. For such an extraordinary machine, Ferrari sure put little effort into the beauty of the motor, instead having it dominated by an overwhelming amount of black plastic. Even the beautiful red cam covers, often a dominant visual feature on modern Ferrari’s, are tucked away and barely visible. I’m no engineer, but, to me, it’s the one visual shortcoming of the car.

12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks very much.

The engine and it’s beauty is indeed well hidden but I think that’s mostly due to its low center of gravity, it’s buried deep down for function over form. The 2.7 shows off more of its engine than the 5.2 as well, but you still have to look hard for the details like the cam covers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

audi_328 and f355spider like this.
  13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    As always, excellent work! Looking forward to watching your progress :)

MAD828 likes this.
  14. NMF1

NMF1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nick Febonio
    Did you continue to use the car despite the cold start noises or was this a new noise that came up right before the major service?

Anyone know how safe we can all feel that the tensioner safety stop will prevent a timing slip?
    Should tensioners be an item every 5 years?

Are collapsed tensioners a common issue everyone should look out for?

15. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The noise started about 6 months ago, I kept driving it. Sometimes it was worse than others. It was an unnerving sound that’s for sure.

I know my tensioners were at least 13 years old. I would think new tensioners should be good for every second engine out service. It really depends on your risk appetite and how long you leave it between engine out services.

With the level Im going to this time I would think a major engine out service every 5-7 years is totally fine, and the next one should require minimum parts plus time due to the extent of this one.

NMF1 likes this.
  16. NMF1

NMF1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nick Febonio
    Thanks! I've been following you on Instagram as well. Inspiring me to plan lots of projects and totally go through my 355 to make it perfect as well! Really awesome stuff keep it up.

MAD828 likes this.
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You may have covered this earlier, so forgive me, but, given the integrity of this restoration, what are your plans for the headers and overall exhaust system?

18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The exhaust is the only area I venture away from OEM as I enjoy driving the car.

I have removed my intact OEM headers for safe keeping, and a brand new OEM bypass valve. and utilize imo the best aftermarket options for exhaust being the Tubi headers, re-cored OEM catalyst, Capristo bypass valve and Capristo 2/3 exhaust.

All the stock components are stored away for when it’s time to go back to OEM.

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Elliott
    Great work and very inspirational.
    Can you post the technique for refinishing the air plenums and the paints you used ?
    I know you posted it before.....
    Thanks,

Skipp

MAD828 likes this.
  20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I
    The black is still OEM plastic that’s just been cleaned and dressed. 303 Aerospace protectant is a good product for that. The raised detail was sanded and degreased and then I carefully applied a high temp aluminum paint spray from a can onto a foam applicator and very carefully applied it. I cleaned up the edges with methylated spirits and a q tip before it had a chance to cure.

Skippr1999, Robb and emac like this.
  21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    audi_328 and Robb like this.
  22. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Challenge, audi_328 and Robb like this.
  23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Will you be changing the valve guides, Elliott or was it just a carbon build-up issue?

24. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The tech measured the guides and whilst I was hoping it was just carbon build up, on two cylinders the guides were worn. Seeing as they are bronze and the heads are off, I’m going to have them all changed to the sintered steel versions and be done with it.

Skippr1999 and Qavion like this.
  25. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Wow. I love those last photos...

Robb

MAD828 likes this.