1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service | Page 38 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Video courtesy of our banned member DaveRocks.

Mark HT, Qavion and MAD828 like this.
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you use a stainless steel wire brush for cleaning the block, Elliott. I've heard that regular carbon steel brushes are not good.

3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Stainless wire brush yes. WD40 as a lubricant and penetrant.

Qavion likes this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    With the wiring harness removed I got into re booting all the 3 and 2 pin Bosch connectors.

All the boots had deteriorated and aesthetically and functionally this is a nice service to perform for the car. Took quite some time to do it but I’m glad it’s done now and another aspect of the car sorted.

I used WD40 contact cleaner to ensure the contact surfaces are nice and clean and Wurth Dielectric grease to lubricate the boots to aid in fitment.

I also re-sleeved a few worn insulator lines with new heat shrink tube to eliminate the signs of wear on the harness.

The loom was cleaned with 303 aerospace to remove any road grime. It looks much better now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Where did you get the extraction tool, Elliott? Element14?
    I did a search for 1-159007-6B and could only find 1-159006-6

Was it easy to use or some practice required?

6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Ian I purchased it from DigiKey. Best money I spent. Would not want to do it without it. Works amazing and no damage to pins.

Qavion likes this.
  7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Purchased the HE ring nut tool to remove lower cam drive gears. Will send them off for plating with the other parts.

What is the consensus for welding the fences on these? The crimp looks sound to me, but have seen it done on a few cars now from other forum members.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Qavion, GSF355 and Robb like this.
  9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Robb likes this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I get anxiety just looking at pics like this

Skippr1999 likes this.
  11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Are you going for the super secret double platinum at concours?...

Robb

MAD828 likes this.
  12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Ha! The secret double platinum indeed! The car is already a 2 time platinum winner, I’m just fixated on getting the car as good as I can.

This is my dream car and I enjoy tinkering and taking care of all the details. I could not buy a new one - I was 9 when my 95 GTS was first delivered! So this is the best I can do with what I have.

Robb likes this.
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yeah I know what you mean, the plater I use is very good and I have had no issues prior.

I was hesitant at first but from previous experience I’m calm about this process.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It was a light comment. I’m currently restoring a Countach and all engine components are being deep cleaned and replated. Still, I’ll be glad when it’s all back together.

MAD828 likes this.
  15. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    TIG. Easy and neat if done by a competent person. :)

MAD828 likes this.
  16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Wanted to freshen up some of the cast alloy parts, used a walnut shell in a sand blaster to freshen up some parts. Very happy with the outcome.

The gear box mounts were changed last engine out and are already showing signs of cracking. I had purchased a set of engine and gearbox mounts anyway. It’s just amazing how short of a lifespan they have. I hope the challenge engine mounts will hold up better.

I will finish off the alloy parts with some scotchbrite and alloy cleaner to get a nice uniform brightness to the alloy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Amazing attention to detail. Im sure this would be on of the best recorded restorations to date on any Gts.

Robb and MAD828 like this.
  18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks Andy!

19. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras

Attached Files:

Challenge likes this.
  20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    With the heat exchanger accessible with the engine all apart I thought it would be a good idea to preemptively replace it. It looks ok but they probably do until they don’t.

The original is different to the new Ferrari part. The coolant passages are smaller and the new unit weighs twice as much. I hope it’s a better design but will keep the coolant changes at yearly or 2 year intervals to makes sure the anti corrosion properties are sound in the coolant.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I found the culprit to my annoying accessory belt whine and uneven wear. Someone along the line had broken the adjuster pin on the alternator pulley tensioner bracket. Instead of replacing it they welded it together. It wasn’t on true and would pitch the pulley at a slight angle making the belt have an uneven tracking. Unfortunately when removing the bent adjuster pin the bracket cracked despite loosening it correctly by going in the clockwise direction.

Thankfully Ricambi had one in stock and it is now ready to go back along with a new adjuster pin and freshly plated adjuster rod. I will look forward to not having to deal with this belt issue again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Also pictured is the HE ring nut tool to remove the lower cam drive gears.

Robb and Qavion like this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you going to try challenge mounts this time? (Or would that be noticed by the concourse officials?)

23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    You give concours officials too much credit Ian : ) Gearbox mounts are standard replacements, the engine mounts are the challenge spec and don't appear any different to the eye.

Qavion likes this.
  24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    man...I hate finding stuff like this, and there's plenty on my 348.

sjd

MAD828 likes this.
  25. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras