1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service | Page 47 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The price was very good for this set, and they looked identical to the much more expensive superformance offering. But I’m already regretting my decision not based on the quality but I ordered 2 sets (one for someone else) they sent me 1 set and half of it was wrong. Ball joints for a Dino for example. Hard to say if I will be happy with the bushing at the moment but I don’t see why bushings should be so costly. I didn’t bother to price up OEM bushings but I’m sure they are even more. My lower arm bushings on the front seem fine the upper arm is gone though it was starting to squeak on compressions like speed humps.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’ve been deep diving into suspension/brakes lately as I am trying to sort it all in one-go.

A fairly knowledgeable Fchatter @johan6504 had a bad experience with even the Superperformance “hard” bushing set (they offer a standard and hard version) while he was searching for something firmer than OE. He found the Superperformance “hard” version was actually alot softer than OE.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/355-suspension-kit.260852/#post-139038399

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/flex-in-a-arm-bushing-new-hard-was-actually-soft.263591/#post-139104225

*He’s referring to Superperformance hard bushings in both of these threads.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/355-suspension-question.270848/page-4#post-139288673

“When it comes to the control arms and ball joints I have original bushings. Tested energy suspension, powerflex and hard rubber PU bushings but they were all WAY softer than original. Trust me in this; stay with original A-arm bushings. The construction is VERY stiff and the only tougher solution is to go for solid Delerin or aluminum bushings, which is race only in terms of comfort…”

Qavion likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I don’t know much about these Ebay ones, but just figured I’d throw out some concerns from other offerings.

5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks Ken, I have been deep diving too don’t worry. I have read every bushing thread since the beginning of time on this forum. I’m not sure how the person tested the hardness of the bushing but I will reserve judgement until I fit one arm and see. They have to be pre-loaded as well so it can be an installation issue.

One OEM bushing for front wishbone is $100 AUD approx multiply that by 24 is $2400 AUD it was worth a shot to test these out for 1000 bucks for a full set. Worst case is I buy OEM ones and chalk it up as a expensive lesson. @Ferrarium has fitted a set of these and reported no issues from what I’m aware of.

ShineKen likes this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Thanks for taking one for the team… as usual :).

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    348 he has but they are the same product.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’m seeing different part numbers for what 348s came with although he can use the suggested 355 bushings. If he’s installed on a 348, he could be making comparisons to older type 348 bushings instead of 355 bushings.

10. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Maybe but we would both be comparing 25 plus year old bushings anyway. It’s bound to feel better. Hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts seeing as he has done it and is using the car.

ShineKen likes this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’m all for a lower cost solution if we can even get something close to OE, so I’m interested in anyone’s feedback who has actually put these on.

Personally, I’m not looking forward to spending the $2500 + labor on the OE’s as I feel they only really last for about 10k mi or 10 years whichever comes first. I’m sure they are good when they’re good.

MAD828 likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    When I first saw the Ebay ones, I thought they might have been re-branded Superperformance ones or simply the same ones sold by another seller. I’m hoping they aren’t, which would imply more new options on the market.

MAD828 likes this.
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    To be fair my car has original bushings 63k Kms on it and from what I can tell only two of the bushings in the front upper arm were very much gone. The lower arms and the drivers side upper arms are in amazing shape and feel very good.

I did think that the eBay bushings were the same as the superformance versions (not higher priced the Teflon ones) but the ones marked as high quality as they look identical.

Check out the shock upper flamboc it’s deformed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The passenger side took me a longer time to figure how to attack and remove components and purchase the required tooling to do it.

But I just stripped fully the drivers side front components in 2 hours, that’s including the brakes and coil overs and popping out the ball joints- which are in super tight.

I’d estimate 6-8 hours for a tech to remove 2 hours of refitting bushings and 6-8 hours to reinstall them back. I think I have spent already that much time cleaning it all though so that’s just in and out job. It would not be cheap to have this done and hence why I don’t think it’s done very often. I do hope the efforts are worthwhile. I probably wouldn’t have been doing it had I not started hearing a noise from the bushings in the front and been in an extended lockdown thanks to Covid.

At least it’s keeping me busy.

OCKlasse likes this.
  14. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I ordered another set of front bushings from superformance so I will be able to directly compared the two offerings @ShineKen.

Investigating shock options, I tried to contact Delta Vee via a couple avenues and no reply so I have given up on that option, I did like his offering but reading up on the wait time and the lack of response doesn’t bode well for how long I could be off the road going down that route, we are also very far away and the shipping would be a killer.

I also looked into MCS offering but not enough feedback on them they also use the factory top mount as opposed to a custom made mono ball so that is a downside.

At the end of the day the car is not going on the track again, I have taken it twice and it’s not suited given my track experience with a dedicated track car.

I decided I didn’t want to give up the Bilstein electronic damper control, so I have purchased the Fiorano springs front and rear which should give me the additional stiffness I’m looking for without any noticeable changes from an OEM factory look.

I cleaned up the wheel arches and it’s looking great. A lot of time getting the components clean. Unfortunately my usual zinc plater is not able to work on the parts I was going to plate due to the lockdown we are in, but overall the plated parts cleaned up very well anyway.

The upper challenge support parts I will leave for now. I’ll add seam sealer to the cracked seam and paint it and monitor. It’s a-bit beyond my skill set to do alone and I’d need to tool up a bit to do it at my home. It’s only one side and it hasn’t gotten any worse in the last 5 years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider and ShineKen like this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @MAD828 how long have you been trying to get a hold of Delta Vee? I have been emailing him on and off and he usually gets back to me within a few days (except weekends).

I believe I bought his last “Fiorano Inspired” damper kit. He told me it was the last because it’s the last set of his custom monoball upper he had left and he wasn’t going to make any more, probably due to low demand. Outside of that, I’m sure he can still put something together. His “secret” spring rates are still there along with dampers revalved to it.

I also asked him about upgrading to the challenge shock mounts. He didn’t feel it was necessary. I’d just keep monitoring it.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Btw. Regarding Ebay bushings… is the rubber bonded/glued like the Superperformance ones?

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I had my stock mounts seam welded instead of just spot welded in. Seems to have stopped any deformation and didn't require pulling and replacing the shock mounts, though did require some massaging of things back into place before welding. Has a couple of track days, autox and a few thousand miles on it since. Running H&R springs. I took it to a good welder as it's not thick metal.

MAD828, ShineKen and f355spider like this.
  18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras

Thanks Pete, yes my concern was the ‘massaging’ part, would rather have a pro do it. Also the new plates are twice the thickness and would be thicker than the base material so you’d really want to be careful welding them in.

19. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I’ll be able to compare when they arrive. From what I can tell the eBay type are bonded.

ShineKen likes this.
  20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    9 days ago and 7 via PM on here. Many people mentioned he is hard to get a hold of and the turnaround wasn’t fast so I felt it wasn’t an option suited to me, despite believing his option is one of the best for the OEM supplied shocks. I wanted his fiorano style kit with the upper mounts etc. I have a great Bilstein repairer locally too and have had shocks previously rebuilt and dyno tuned they also know what they are doing so I can always have the shocks valved to springs if I need to. I’ll report back on the springs once I have it all fitted, aligned and tested. Not many reports on them and the ones that are on here aren’t all positive either.

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

I don't think he comes on Fchat as often anymore. Email is the best way to get a hold of him and he has always been fairly responsive to me.

I've believe his Fiorano damper kit is one of the best options for our cars for the longest time. That's why I bought it :). Barry and I have been preaching his kit for years, but Fchatters like to make things more complicated than it really is :).

His monoball upper is based off the 348LM design. Maybe that will help.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/m-tecnologia-front-spoiler-for-f355.240431/page-3

This was an interesting upper set up as well. Poster says it was put together by "Bilstein Technical Center." If I had to put money on it, I would say that is Ennepetal Bilstein Japan. That would've been my next go to if Delta Vee didn't come through. I'm sure Delta Vee is willing to make more if there is enough interest as well.

Did you go with Superperformance version of the Fiorano springs or OE Fiorano springs? I believe those are also good rates to go with and if my understanding is correct, even on FHP equipped cars, the damper is the same as the standard car implying revalving might not be needed. BUT... as mentioned in the other thread, there is a new product number for the standard damper and I'm not sure if that's what 99 cars are equipped with or if this change came well after 355 production AND if the dampers are even exactly the same as the old ones.

308 GTB likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Fun Fact:

The lower monoball bushing on the lower damper for the 355 is the exact same one offered on the 360/F430 damper. Same product number. $60 each. Delta Vee says he's never seen them worn out on the 355 damper. However, on my Scud, they were completely done all 4 corners (upper and lower) at 26k mi. and I did have them replaced with OE ones.

I find out later Hill Engineering supposedly makes a better one than OE, but I haven't looked into the offering.

*I find it interesting because the 355 damper is Bilstein while 430 is Sachs.

MAD828 likes this.
  23. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I believe (and I'm stressing my brain cells here) that the difference with Fiorano cars was the shock ECU curve and shocks were the same, the curve between the two was posted at one point along with some talk about making it programmable - I believe it's part of the service manual if you can find a '99 version. This was years ago. There was no increased functionality to the ecu, just a different curve, so you could achieve the same with shock damping changes during rebuild. The real trick would be to make a programmable version that would allow you to change the damping curve to more than 2 settings (or change the curve altogether), could probably be achievable via arduino.

Lot of effort for not much improvement imo, stock damping is quite good and via trial and error I found that what feels better is not always faster (ie sport setting felt better but slower on autox, stiffer was better feel but less overall grip), so it also depends which you prioritize, which tires you use, springs, ARB's etc. That's why if you're going to mess with it, full adjustable and/or programmable is the only way to make it truly better, especially if the car evolves over time.

MAD828, Qavion and ShineKen like this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    When I got my red car in April, it came with old ass (but barely worn) Continentals. Felt like a waterbed. I put the challenge wheels with new Advan tires on... night and day difference. My initial response was it wasn't bad at all , but there is room for improvement. I'm making mental comparisons to how I had setup the Scud, which I think is phenomenal for the road. I am trying to build a 355 "Scud," so even if it's a 25% improvement but comes really close to that feel, I'm down with it. I'm not willing to sacrifice too much comfort for challenge-like performance. I'm not clocking times on the road, so feel is what I'm after :).

At the very least, it needs to be as good as the Fiorano Handling Pack, if not better. I am diligently after the challenge sway bars (FHP) and would like to try the Fiorano ECU with the Delta Vee damper kit. Delta Vee said no one has tried that combo. He also said he was never able to find documentation of the mapping differences. I can only go off testimonial.

Got a link to the Fiorano Ecu thing?

Also.. do we know with absolute certainty, standard 99 shocks were exactly same as 95-98? Afterall, we do have a new product number for the damper.

f355spider and MAD828 like this.
  25. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes the lower shock mount is found on many Ferrari they use the same part.

I purchased the ‘high quality’ lower shock bushing from superformance but it’s not remotely close to stock in the design and I will leave my original as they are fine. The superformance type are bonded rubber where the OEM is a mono ball type with some articulation.

Here is a pic of oem lower shock mount versus superformance type on my friends F355.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.