1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service | Page 49 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What did you end up doing with the deformed flambloc ? It appears to be sold as part of the upper mount and doesn’t look too expensive. I have a few of my dampers out and so far the flamboc looks even and normal. I’m probably going to put them back in as is.

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I bought 2 new ones for the front. The rear were flat and normal.

ShineKen likes this.
  3. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Good ground clearance with Fiorano springs is 135mm for the front and 155mm for the rear.
    I had them on my 355 and it worked perfectly with this rating.

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Cool I measured the threads on the shock spring perches and will make adjustments based off those, I was happy with my ride height prior just not the stiffness felt it could have more roll control.

How did you rate the Fiorano springs on your car?

5. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Really excellent because the body is much better held, but this requires going lower in ground clearance and above all maintaining a difference in inclination of 20 mm between the front and the rear to optimize stability under braking and traction under acceleration.
    The attitude is more stable and allows you to go a little further in the alignment settings.
    The addition of the stabilizer bars of the challenge version creates a total "huge" difference because the larger diameter of the stabilizer bars on the front makes it possible to give more rigidity to the front axle and to reduce the roll. Clearly, the car in this configuration has a better front axle and the difference is so huge that you notice it from the first mile.

ShineKen and MAD828 like this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks for the positive feedback, I really look forward to feeling the difference.

Im also changing the suspension bushings, drop links, and ball joints. Combined with an alignment and ride height adjustment I am expecting some real positive results from the refreshment.

7. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    If you precision measure the coil diameter and spring diameter (either inner or outer) of the Fiorano front, we'll be able to calculate the approximate spring rate.

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Shocks are with Bilstein now getting rebuilt and revalved will measure them when I get them back.

601 likes this.
  9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I was able to remove one side so far of the suspension tower and offered up the new reinforced component to get an idea of how it will fit.

Looks good so far. It was challenging for me to remove as I haven’t done spot weld removal before but with the right tools and some patience it went very well. It’s quite an undertaking but seeing how weak the sheet metal is I’m really glad I’m doing this right.

Going to file down the weld spots and prepare the surface for welding with weld thru primer. I will have a professional fabricator weld in the parts once it’s ready to go.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kokose7en, 308 GTB, day355 and 4 others like this.
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Elliott, with those Challenge reinforcements you'll be able to handle 2200 lb./in. springs should you care to do so. :)

You're doing the right thing for your car.

MAD828 and Kokose7en like this.
  11. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks Barry, let’s see how the Fiorano spring stiffness is first! I think the upgrade even though it’s quite Labour intensive will make a noticeable difference to the front end.

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes it will, Elliott. And you can rest assured that you'll not experience any cracking with your Fiorano springs. My reinforcements have held up well over 10,000 track miles with my Challenge springs. Some of those miles were at Sebring where segments of that track are very rough.

13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  14. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  15. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I pushed out and pressed in the new suspension bushings.

What an undertaking! Purchased this push-pull tool kit and had to modify 4 of the correct sized cups to fit between the narrow space between the arms. Now I have the tools and the know how should be easier if I was to perform the task again.

This is a good way to install the bushings properly as it pushes the outer edge of the bush and doesn’t compress the rubber bush like a press or vice would. Taking them out took a lot of torque but installing was a breeze once I had modified the cups to fit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting. Please tell us about that. What kit you use, chemicals needed, ease of use, general experiences, etc.
    Thanks.

17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I used an Australian company called Jane Kits. I added the optional agitator and dry acid mix to their 10 litre Zinc kit: https://janekits.com.au/products/zinc-kit-10-ltrs/

All you need after that is some containers and 20 litres or so of demineralized water.

I followed the instructions to the letter they are comprehensive. It’s time consuming but the plater I normally use is closed due to Covid lock down and I figured I have some time to spare why not learn how to reproduce the results myself. Preparing the metal is the most important aspect of getting a good result.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Heasman at Sydenham? Is that open for business and within your 5km COVID lockdown limit? :D

20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    It’s 6km and we met half way haha. I’m double jabbed now enough is enough! It’s an essential service.

GSF355, Mike Morrissey and Qavion like this.
  21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    ShineKen, GTO Joe and 308 GTB like this.
  22. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    ShineKen, IvanRico, OCKlasse and 5 others like this.
  23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    ShineKen likes this.
  24. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I popped open the cover on my footwell to look at the replacement and wow I couldn’t believe it the ECU that is currently fitted is from a Ferrari 456! Part number 154835 instead of the 157497 normally fitted.

I have no idea what the story is here the first owner had the car for 19 years and there is no record of it being changed. I don’t know why you’d make this switch?! Maybe Luigi had too much wine at the factory and installed the wrong item?

I have crossed check 4 other 1995 F355 including UK and AUDM spec and they all have the 157497 ecu…

So now it has proven an even better investment it seems to have picked up the Fiorano handling pack suspension ECU. I cannot wait to have this back on the road and dialed in.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login