1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service | Page 50 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Exciting stuff! Let us know how it goes.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Yep. If you had not purchased the FHP ECU, chances are you would never had known. Who knows what in the world the 456 ECU was doing to your dampers. This is F355 lore for the ages. Hopefully, the FHP ECU makes up for all that lost time. I suspect it’s a game changer.

Mike Morrissey and MAD828 like this.
  3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Finally I have a fabricator to come out tomorrow to weld in my challenge shock towers. With covid lockdown it’s been hard to arrange anything. It’s been about 3 months since I drove the car so I can’t wait to have it all back together.

I drilled out the bracket with 9mm holes in the factory positions which took some time due to the thickness of the metal. It really is a much stronger component.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I did a final test fit and the positioning of the shock tower is perfect. The area was sanded clean and weld thru primer applied to protect the surfaces.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The roll bar was removed and the steering rack boots to have a clear space to weld. The passenger side steering rack boot has a split so I ordered in a new one. The drivers side was replaced previously by me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen, Qavion and 308 GTB like this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I noticed my rear bushings were missing the heat reflective covers, which when you see how close the bushings are to the rear rotors you understand the requirement.

The covers are $100 pounds plus taxes and postage so I made my own with a heat reflective Foil and fiberglass heat shield. Looks exactly as per factory and will likely offer more heat deflection as they are slightly thicker.

I also stripped the front ABS wheel sensor heat shields and replaced with the same material cut to size. Looks a lot cleaner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Finally after long last I was able to have a fabricator come over and TIG weld in my challenge updated brackets. Very happy with the result!

The welds are very nice. I re coated with zinc primer the surfaces after wire wheeling the welds. Then used Wurth beige spray-able seam sealer to cover the spot welds and seams. Just like the factory did it, messily! Then top coated with Wurth flat black paint.

Needs one more pass after it’s cured with flat black paint and it’s ready for reassembly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I’m very proud to have done this work myself bar the welding. After seeing the pro do the welds I’m glad I left it to him too! Overall it’s been a big undertaking:

All suspension bushes
    Replaced all ball joints
    Rebuilt and revalved Bilstein dampers
    Fiorano springs
    Fiorano handling pack ecu
    Challenge shock towers
    New OEM brake calipers front and rear
    Zinc plated all hardware and fixing points

Now to get it back on the road, heights adjusted and aligned.

day355, Challenge, 308 GTB and 3 others like this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You and your welder did a perfect job, Elliott. You properly reinforced inherently weak areas of the 1995 frame; a problem the Factory addressed a year later.

It's a Challenge modification so you can do your spring upgrade without worry.

Barry

7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks Barry, your informative past posts on this issue was what got me to check mine out. So thank you.

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Congrats Elliott, looks great.

MAD828 likes this.
  9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Front left corner reassembled. Now to move on to the right side once the replacement steering rack boot arrives. Need to final torque down some bolts and nuts once preload is set, and cable tie the brake wear sensor line, but otherwise it’s ready to go on this side.

It looks really special now, to say I’m happy with the outcome would be an understatement!

Here are some pics:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

INTMD8, Qavion, ShineKen and 3 others like this.
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #1235 308 GTB, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Mike Morrissey and Qavion like this.
  11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Did the kit include the power source?

If not what did you use

12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    It did. Check out Jane Kits for the specs it doesn’t require a super duper power source.

13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Had the first real shakedown drive today. No wheel alignment yet, and can still fine tune ride height some more. But oh my goodness! The car is absolutely transformed since the suspension overhaul and upgrades.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is what I was looking for out of my F355. It’s pretty much perfect. The car rides stiffer but not overwhelming so but the direct response to the steering wheel inputs and the communication of what the tires are doing underneath you is like night and day better. It has a lot more feeling through the wheel and overall feeling of traction, especially through the rear tires. Wow. I’m so happy and it was all worth it.

I highly recommend new bushings, rebuilt dampers and the fiorano spec springs. I have about 1.5 cm left of thread on the front shocks and 2cm left on the rear to further lower the car. So you can’t slam it but this setting now is below stock height I had before and clears things better due to the overall stiffness of tbe setup. I’ll wait till things settle to see where the final ride height sits.

Next up is a wheel alignment, and to re torque the suspension arms.

GSF355, day355, OCKlasse and 6 others like this.
  14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Nice job, Elliott. Your car will be even better after its alignment.

If you want a bit more performance out of your new suspension, you can follow these Delta Vee alignment and ride height guidelines: Ferrari F355 Track Alignment Recommendations

I'm sure you've already read that article. :)

Barry

MAD828 likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Like Barry and I have been trying to tell Fchatters over the years… the stock dampers w/active damping is where it’s at :).

You forgot to tell us what damper ECU you plugged in :).

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I went for the full fat experience and hooked up the Fiorano ECU. My mind is blown with how much difference there is now. Even the sport setting and comfort is a noticeable step. My friends drove the car both own F355 and they are buying the Fiorano springs now.

OCKlasse, 308 GTB and ShineKen like this.
  17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Next step for me is to reproduce the Fiorano sway bars front and rear. I have to have those now too. The way the springs work with the ecu makes me think the whole package would be the closest you can get to a Stradale style F355.

OCKlasse, 308 GTB and ShineKen like this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Definitely!

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I can’t wait to experience it all myself after years of researching/reading and hyping myself up. I can imagine it’s like falling in love with the 355 all over again.

OCKlasse, MAD828 and 308 GTB like this.
  20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That’s exactly what it’s like. This is the car for me. The only thing I like more is an F50, which I think will be more or less a 355 on steroids hehehe perhaps not as good looking either.

INTMD8 and OCKlasse like this.
  21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The F355, in its stock form, is very capable on the track...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

That's a stock 1997 GTS following me up the esses at Watkins Glen International. His only modifications were speedline Challenge wheels and Pirelli slicks.

OCKlasse, Mike Morrissey and MAD828 like this.
  22. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    My car is soft, very soft. I haven't had much seat time in other 355's so not sure if it came like that or it's time to rebuild the shocks. It definitely feels like there's more spring than damper -- a little floaty. It would stand to reason that 23 year old dampers could use a refresh. My 993 has PSS10's and all new suspension bushings, and the handling is sensational, far better than the 355. This gives me hope that the 355 can be made a little more crisp.

What's involved in getting the Fiorano springs? Does anyone make them aftermarket?

MAD828 likes this.
  23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    My car was very smooth to drive but soft and floaty especially at speed. Now it feels planted. The Fiorano springs (original) aren’t readily available but Superformance UK makes a reproduced set. That’s what I used.

24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Elliott,

Use the attached Racing Setup Guide for tuning your new suspension.

Barry

Attached Files:

25. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Are there alignment specs for the 355 that are a little more fun/aggressive than stock, or is stock good enough? I know on my 993 the factory specs are a little boring and the handling is improved nicely with a more aggressive setup. I'm talking street driving, not track.