1997 Black/Tan F355 Spider | FerrariChat

1997 Black/Tan F355 Spider

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Aeroengineman, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    #1 Aeroengineman, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Availability in September:

Selling my Spider at the end of the Summer as I have ordered a new 458 Spider that looks just like my F355 for delivery in December. It runs perfect and cosmetically one of the nicest as it won best contemporary Ferrari in our 2006 Italian Concurs and remains in similar condition today. The attached photos were taken at an event this weekend. It has mostly highway miles as we do 3 day distance drives here in the scenic Northwest (Never been tracked).

Currently has 53,500 miles and is expected to have 56000 by the end of the summer. It is in amazing condition for its mileage with most things sorted because I'm a fanatic about waxing and changing the oil every 3000 miles with Full synthetic. I have a lift from a Chevron Station in my garage so these were easy to do along with everything else.

I'm only asking $45,000 because it is due for belts and cam seals and has a shock actuator on right front that needs attention and a by-pass thermocouple not responding even though you can hear it working. I've done everything else and can provide a list. Yes "Sticky-no-more" has been done on the center console and I've keep the airbag soft with Griot's leather cream so its rounded the way its supposed to look and the corner are not curled up like you see on so many F355s. You can see from the photos that the driver's outside bolster cushion is not worn like so many are. The original floor mats have only been used once for this show and give the car a fresh look on the inside.

I've owned this car since June of 2002 when it had 6200 miles on it and have a complete service history on a spread sheet. The reason I'm selling it without its major service, is it gives the NEW owner the flexibility to direct the repair and the warranty for the work resides with him which I think is a plus over buying a car at a premium. I don't think you'll find a nicer car at the post repair cost for the price. PM me to get a hold of me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Very fair deal at asking price. Assuming compression is spec and the headers are intact this could be a great buy for someone in a 12 month spider zone. :)

3. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm a great fan of the non-contrasting tonneau.

4. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

That was the color of my first Ferrari. I have a soft spot for the Black/Tan 355. Beautiful car.

5. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Thanks for the comment - I'm sure a PPI will confirm the compression check ok as for the headers I was one of the first to do a QV London 304 Stainless Repair at 18K. However we learned their early repairs didn't extend the repairs far enough past the first bend into the collector so it was done again all the way into the collector. I'd be willing to bet there are a number of cars with less than 36K miles that haven't had the complete repair extending into the collector and will experience a "do" or "redo" one at some point.

BTE I did a full CV Joint with NEW boots replace because its easier to do that than just replace the boots.

6. Scott4139

Scott4139 Rookie

Jan 22, 2009
  7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Only guy I've seen who brings a full detail kit including extension cord and buffer with him on a weekend trip! :)

Congrats on the 458 and good luck with the sale!!

8. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
  9. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    #9 Aeroengineman, Aug 1, 2014
  10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #10 synchro, Aug 10, 2014
    Chances are readers don't live in the Pacific NW so aren't familiar with this car or owner who is absolutely retentive about maintenance and condition of his pride & joy.

This car is a long time FCA Club participant that has won Concours awards based on condition and presentation

11. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    Looks terrific - and I am in the area.

and maintained terrific...

Beautiful car!

12. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
  13. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    #13 Aeroengineman, Aug 25, 2014
    We just completed our last drive in the F355 Spider from Seattle to Crater lake in eastern Oregon and it performed flawlessly. I managed to keep up with the 458s!!

For those 308 and 328 owners considering moving up now is the time!! At $45,000 this is a great price for a great car. If you are interested give Dave a call at 425-432-2800.

The photo was taken at the rim of Crater Lake this weekend.

14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

your car looks awesome........!!

15. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    Looks stunning! Thanks for your PM...

Just got back, will reply this week and maybe look to take you up on that.

regards,

16. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Dave nice car and a another "Congratulations" on your new expected new toy.

Since you posted on the 308 site, I guess that I will be the one to let you know that your, "owners considering moving up" comment out of place here. Being a 355 owner I can see your thinking that, but looking at currant auction/private sales and value trends you might want to consider dropping that phrase, at least on the 308-328 site. It might work on some of the other model specific sites though. Being down graded to the lows of the "Starter Ferrari family" is something only time heals. :)

17. Reborn996

Reborn996 Rookie

Apr 18, 2009
    FYI, I was seriously looking at this car... but it is a salvage title. Not sure why that was not referenced in this ad and I had to run a carfax to find out. This was never mentioned by Dave in my numerous calls with him either. Very disappointed as I was looking forward to my first Ferrari ownership.

Dave, that really should have been part of the initial post. :(

David

18. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Here we go again. Another car on Fchat with a salvage title that the owner just happened to forget to mention. This happened when someone here was selling his 348. I would expect that from other sellers but not from Fchat members. Let's be honest with each other. If the car has a salvage title it should be mentioned in the ad.

19. Scott4139

Scott4139 Rookie

Jan 22, 2009
    Strange. He told me on the first call. Still working on selling my 78 930.
    Scott

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I have a soft spot for them do you have a link to the sale?

21. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Great. So a phone call is what is needed to find out "Salvage Title"

22. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I hereby up date the posting to offer the car to state the car has a rebuilt title. I've been offering the car on Craigslist at Rebuilt Title but forgot I didn't include that in my initial offer here. When you've owned the car as long as I have and maintained it over the years, what happened to it with its first owner 15 years ago, that the second owner checked it out and owned it 3 years before me with no problems - its like ancient history. Lets face it, there are so many F355s they will never be collectors items, but I can understand Reborn996's concerned that it wasn't disclosed and for that I apologize.

I can understand a new car having a price issue with rebuilt title, but other than failure on my part to disclose it here, how much value is there at this point? I guess the market will ultimately determine that. I knew when I bought it, I didn't take a discount, because it was simply the most beautiful F355 Spider I had seen in the country and I had traveled all over and seen a lot of them.

23. nickbeez

nickbeez Karting

Apr 11, 2009
    Denver, CO / NO, LA
    I'd say the miles you've driven the car, awards you've received, and the testimony of others that have first hand knowledge speak volumes.

I would like to think that at ferrari I'm dealing with a 1st rate individual. I don't have a ferrari- hunting for that... I am a car professional and will be opening my own dealership so I can have many!

Things that make me okay with what I've read... the owner is getting a 458 spider. Off the top of my head --plugging in my first sentence. maintenance has not been skimped on.

I'm new to fchat, but just trying to point out some things I think others may not see from my pov.

24. Imperial Stormtrooper

May 7, 2014
    Far, Far Away
    Full Name:
    George
    If you don't have a problem with a salvage title, then you buy it. The fact remains that this is a critical piece of information that was left out of the advert, whether by accident or purposely, and it is a deal-breaker for many potential buyers.

25. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    There are some significant errors in the modern CARFAX report David obtained and the one I have from 2002. The current report only shows two owners not the three that actually owned the car. This is significant because I bought the car from the second owner who bought it with a rebuilt title and he owned it for 3 years. Here is the 2002 CARFAX:
    - there was no structural damage to the car
    - there was no accident report filed
    - there was no flood damage title found
    - there was no damage disclosure found
    - there were no problems found
    The history of the car was that the original owner put just the nose in a roadside ditch with water in it and it stopped short of the passenger compartment. Being wealthy and carrying a lot of business, the insurance company took it as a salvage claim, refurbished the water damage areas (probably replaced the front trunk and dried it out) and resold it to the guy I bought it from who owned it 3 years with no problems.

If you are a big enough customer, insurance companies will do this. On the current CARFAX the car sounds like it was wrecked but in point of fact it wasn't on the 2002 CARFAX. Since the current CARFAX doesn't have the ownership trail right and its early history right I now feel that history needs to be corrected by what I have in the 2002 CARFAX.