1998 355 Soft Brake Pedal | FerrariChat

1998 355 Soft Brake Pedal

Discussion in '348/355' started by Manuel, Aug 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manuel

Manuel Rookie

Oct 19, 2004
    San Juan,Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Manuel del Valle
    My 1998 355 just came out of its engine out 30,000 miles complete maintenance (all fluids were changed). Unfortunately, although the car brakes fine, the brake pedal feels soft and its travel is longer than before. Even though the brakes were bled twice, the pedal still feels softer than before the engine out maintenance was done.
    All fluids have been changed every year since I have owned the car (8 years) and the car has steel braided brake lines. As per the mechanic, the brake booster looks fine.
    Any ideas or comments?

2. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I'd suspect additional bleeding may be called for. Take it back to the mechanic, he should be happy to address any on-going issues as a result of the major service.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Manuel, are you related to Jaime del Valle?

I concur that there is likely still air in the lines. Nothing very exotic about 355 brakes. More bleeding should fix it.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is a chance that you have gotten air in the master cylinder. If so, pop off the front firewall liner exposing the Master Cylinder, and bleed it. There is a bleeder fitting at the MC for that purpose

5. Bimini

Bimini Rookie

Aug 6, 2009
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Grant Hawk
    The same thing happened to my 355 after a 30K service. I thought the mechanic didn't bleed the brakes and did them myself. The pedal still would creep on me and was a little soft. I decided that it was the master cylinder and got a new one, installed it and that fixed the problem.
    The best part of the thing was that the dealer did bleed the brakes and I still have confidence in them as a great place to fall back on.
    If your pedal is soft and will creep down you might think about this as that is what my problem was.
    I also have SS brake lines on her.