1999 355 with OBD Code P0342 | FerrariChat

1999 355 with OBD Code P0342

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eric lipper, Apr 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    I have received Code P0432 which is a below threshold temp for main bank catalysi (bank 2). The car otherwise runs fine. It has 9500 miles. The code only shows up if I drive on the freeway for more than 15 to 20 miles. I think the code never comes around if I stay around town.

The one thing I have noticed before this started happening is an erratic temperature gauge. I know that the engine temp is not as erratic as the water temp gauge indicates because it will go up and down 30 degrees or so in a matter of seconds. I am curious if anyone knows if an erratic water temperature sending unit could relate to the engine either overfueling or otherwise setting a false code. I was getting ready to dig in and replace the sending unit (I already bought one) and see if I can solve both problems. Anyone think these two failures are related?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    my opinion is bad grounding some where. The bad ground will cause signal to jump around and possibly result in error codes.

Bad news: it is hard to find.
    Good news: it does not take replacement of components.

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    You could try switching the thermocouples from bank1/2 and then cat ecu's from bank 1/2 to see if the problem follows a component.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #4 f355spider, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    You posted two different codes:
    P0342 (bad cam position sensor)

P0432 Low catalyst efficiency bank 2 (basically a failed catalyst)

Which code do you have? If P0432 I would have a post cat CO/HC sniffer test done to confirm the cat is toast (you can also remove it to inspect for damage or loose core). If so, time for new or recoring.

The water temp gauge you need to check the connection at the gauge (and ground to gauge) as well as connection to sender. Note, the gauge and the Motronic, use SEPARATE temp sensors, so unlikely your gauge issues would cause running problems. The gauge sender is under the plastic surround on top of engine, toward the front of engine. The unrelated sender for the Motronic is to the right (passenger) side of the oil filter housing.