1999 F355 F1 won't engage gear when cold, shudders violently | FerrariChat

1999 F355 F1 won't engage gear when cold, shudders violently

Discussion in '348/355' started by Brent Leonard, Nov 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brent Leonard

Brent Leonard Rookie

Sep 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Brent Leonard
    Hey all. Has anyone else experienced a F355 with the F1 transmission struggle to get into gear when it's cold. We have a 1999 355 F1 that has a a violent shudder if you try to select first or reverse if it isn't warmed up for at least 10 minutes at idle. It almost feels like the engine is going to break off of its mounts. It goes back to neutral then. This NEVER happens if the car is warm or was run that day. Mechanic is considering a number of possibilities. Has anyone else dealt with this? I'm fine letting it warm up for awhile each time we drive it, but this seems extreme. Thanks ahead of time.

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Is this your car and has it always done this??

3. Brent Leonard

Brent Leonard Rookie

Sep 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Brent Leonard
    Yes. It’s ours but it’s rather new for us. So I don’t have a track record with the car.

4. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I let my car warm before driving. But I do select reverse or first to move it to a spot to allow for that and have never had any issues.

At the very least you should let the car run until the aux air pump stops....I wait until I see a deflection in the water temp.

If it is a sincere shudder, have someone with an SD computer check the PIS.

5. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 Subarubrat, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Qavion likes this.
  6. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yeah - leaking inside the pumpkin (probably a contaminated pressure plate) freezes the clutch when temps drop and the car has been sitting idle. With warmer air temps, leaky triple-seals or grease contamination flows freely and are either burnt away by heat or cleaned off by airflow when driving and thus issue subsides. My 98F1 clutch completely seized after sitting for over one year due to this same issue. When I would request first gear, the car would shudder but the throwout was not strong enough to break the pressure plate from the flywheel. Had to remove the pumpkin and go thru it all. Don't buy the original triple-seals, get the Viton ones as they are easier to install with less chance of deforming.
    www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/529602-triple-seals-viton.html
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/viton-triple-seal.570441/page-3

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Pull the pumpkin and have a look
    If setup properly will not do this no matter how cold

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It’s a clutch problem but could be from many different issues.
    In my experience it is usually obvious

9. Brent Leonard

Brent Leonard Rookie

Sep 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Brent Leonard
    Had the clutch totally replaced and the car is still shuddering violently when put in reverse after 10 minutes of warm up.

Any other ideas or could we be missing something with the clutch?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    F1 transmission system are finicky of this era
    And being you had a clutch replacement I’m sure the techs who did the job made the necessary adjustments and reset set all parameters in the controller

With that said if you are having a hard engagement of reverse and first with everything up to temps or after a 10 min warm up cycle there’s something wrong

The only time I seen a engine wanting to jump out of a car when going into neutral or hard banging going into gear (any gear) there was a problem with the clutch not filling dis engaging the power from the engine
    why you are having this problem (idk) but a full check of the releasing of the clutch is needed the systems relies on sensors to tell the ecm where the clutch is “in time aka location” to make shifts if the pressure plate or throw out bearing is not set up right there’s no way for the controller to know the engine is still holding a load (aka power to ) the transmission even
    a cold transmission will not shift good at first but warmed up it’s ok
    you are saying after 10 minutes I never seen a problem in shifting of a properly set up system taking that long even with the wrong oil in the unit something more is going on maybe a second look at from someone else is in order where
    Hope you find it before it gets worst

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Qavion likes this.