1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Red/Tan - Rare Manual 3-Pedal, located in So-Cal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Red/Tan - Rare Manual 3-Pedal, located in So-Cal

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by X-TNSIV, Sep 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So rude to have this conversation on a for sale post.

That's what they are selling for, if u think u can find a "nice" 360 in the 50's or low 60's you don't know what u are talking about - send them to me and I'll buy everyone and send u 1k check.

Also dealers try to steal cars with trade ins all the time - sometimes they do,
    That isn't the MKT and has nothing to do with the mkt.

Good luck to the OP in selling his car.

2. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I think things got a bit derailed trying to find what a legitimate selling price for this car would be. With that said, I like this car, I know some may say the extras don't add value (like the CS stuff), but in my book if the paintwork is spot on, I would be a serious buyer for the car and take into consideration what it would cost me to do those options after the fact on a car without them. I think the color combo and extras will get the seller closer to his price than farther away.

Also, I have a car for sale on a few sites, to be honest, if people are active in it I am ok with it even if it talk goes away from my car. So long as they aren't ripping my asking price to shreds, which I don't think is being done here, I'm ok with it. Keeps it at the top of the forum list!

3. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I'd like to see more photos of this car though once the OP can post some.

4. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #29 sherrillt, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Not rude IMO as nothing negative has been said about the product (which if unfactual comments or negative comments are made is rude).

A question was "is the asking price market" and some comments were incorrect in stating it was...bottom line is it is high market for the mileage; how high is an option. A seller can ask anything they want - why not put $90k on it, if someone pays it...that's market. The discussion did segue into pricing which is a deviation, but that's what forums do. As long as nothing negative or abusive is said that is not unsupportable or unintelligent I encourage each and everyone to speak their mind; Opinions (good and bad) make forums interesting.

Dealers can't steal anything, it is what owners choose to give away/accept and in some cases problem cars are traded (trying to cheat dealers) as a dump and the price paid for them reflects it. Your comments again show a disconnected understanding of wholesale and retail markets if you believe cars are sold in these markets at little to no margin and dealers are investing $70k hoping to make a few thousand given the risks and still pay their overhead costs (support staff, advertising, give you free lattes, etc) while keeping the lights on even in no sale months - it's just unrealistic.

The paths a car takes to get into the hands of owners is diverse and unless you truly comprehend the facts should not make hip shot comments.

5. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I don't find the discussion rude. No,one has put down the op's car. I find this a very interesting discussion and it is giving me information that I need to secure a car of my own.

6. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Buy the OP's car! 6-speeds are cheaper than F-1's to maintain. Red/tan 3 pedal 360s with full service don't come on the market often.

Scott

7. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    When you had the skirts and bumper painted did you blend into the doors, quarters and hood? Or just paint them and stick them on?

8. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I'm not ready to buy a car yet. I'm still in the process of vetting mechanics.

9. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    It is all about the bottom line. Buy low and sell high.

10. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I think you are right.

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #37 Kevin Rev'n, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    I don't have my data in front of me but Sheril may be a little off in his/her comments. I do not recall any participation by him/her in the very detailed discussions that we have in the 360/430 section about gated manual Ferraris either. IIRC from the data the car is priced pretty well as spec'd and in present service state too. If Crall worked on the car for the majority of it's life it is a no brainer to talk to him about the car and get the straight poop. I think he is one of the highly regarded wrenches in this place. That would be my first step.

Not directed at Sheril, but any clown that thinks they are getting into a gated Modena for some of the discounted numbers mentioned are dreaming and I am not taking what you do 9-5, even if it has to do with cars, as any bump to your understanding or credibility into the very specific market for the last of the gated manual cars produced by Ferrari.

Oh one more thing...love the car!

12. mkeenly

mkeenly Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No one in their right mind would blend the skirts and bumper into the other panels.

13. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great looking car

14. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest

Guess I should have phrased that better. We're panels other than the bumpers and skirts painted as well?

15. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    OP, who did the bumper/skirt paint and fitting ?
    Are they OEM, aftermarket, or Anxpert ?

16. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    There has been a lot of talk about price but little research, come on fellow F chatters.
    Anyhow, being a numbers person and actually possibly looking for a 360. NADA has the car between 50-72K and Hagerty's overall average is 50K. A lot depends on not only if service is current BUT WHO did the service and of course mileage. Most concur the sweet spot is 22-28K miles and over 38k starts to narrow the market. Also the AVERAGE margin on F cars is most likely 8-12%, which is based on what many brokers charge on cars they sell. There are exceptions as with 328's that have had market values gains over past year or so.

17. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Since you have the numbers all figured out. Please let me know what is a fair price for the op's car.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

"Hi, I have come to look at your Ferrari for sale."
    "Oh great, here she is. I have all the records. We can go for a ride if you like."
    "Well that would be great but I want to get some numbers out on the table first to make sure we are on the same page."
    "Oh that makes a lot of sense, what are you thinking about the market?"
    "Well I have some printouts from Hagerty's and NADA that say you are 25K too high on the asking price?"
    "What are those?"
    "Well, when I did a web search they were "supposed" to be places that evaluate cars and show the values that a buyer should expect to pay."
    "Oh really, I haven't ever used those to help me get what I want."
    "...um... well neither have I but I printed it anyway to show you."
    "How is that working out for you?"
    "I dunno, are you going to accept my offer that is 25% less than your asking price?"
    "Of course not. Do we have a capacity issue here?"
    "Um, I am just trying to get a deal."
    "How do I get my 1/2 hour back? Do your websites show you how to compensate a seller for wasting his time?"
    "I don't understand. Hagertys said that I should be able to get my dream for...."
    "Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split ya."

ROFLCOPTERS

19. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I guess that sum's it up.

20. X-TNSIV

X-TNSIV Formula Junior

May 2, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #46 X-TNSIV, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interior Photos:

This car is unique and has the black carpet option, which I personally prefer over the tan carpet since tan carpet can get soiled relatively easily and are harder to keep clean.

Seats are non-powered, manual ones (considerably lighter than the powered seats and no risk of motors breaking or burning out over time)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. X-TNSIV

X-TNSIV Formula Junior

May 2, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen
    The bumpers and side-skirts were painted separately and were not blended into other panels.

The bumpers and side-skirts are aftermarket, one piece molded pieces and not the mold-on pieces from Anxpert.

22. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    God freakin damn it, here's another amazing Ferrari that I could have bought instead of my stupid 996 Porsche with a motor that blew out 3k miles after purchase... :(

I didn't notice in the pics before, but I really LOVE the black carpet option on your car and want to do it to my black/tan 355!! I've never seen that on any red/tan Ferrari before but that's how all the Red/Tan cars should be IMO, and all the black/tan cars for that matter.

Very nice car and good luck with sale. I wish I could buy it.

EDIT: I love the non-powered seats too. You have great taste!!

23. mkeenly

mkeenly Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pretty much sums up my own thoughts. This looks to be a very nice 360, and no one should waste any effort to think they can buy it for $50K. If I was the seller, best to ignore these unrealistic tire kickers.