355 - 1st Bath | FerrariChat

355 1st Bath

Discussion in '348/355' started by watkinsgt, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    My '99 25k mi. 355 has never had water in the engine bay. A dust cloth and occasional spritz of Armor All kept things fairly tidy - until now. It's dirty to where I've gotta wash it. Surprisingly I couldn't find a forum on this. So my question is - 'Are there things in the engine bay that should be wrapped, bagged, or otherwise isolated from moisture?' The plan is, moisten top down with a fine spray (thumb over hose end), followed by a misting of Griot engine cleaner. Sit a few mins. then brush and daub, followed by fine spray rinse. Power blow dry then hit with a light coat of Griot aerosol engine detailer. Finally a freeway blast to evaporate and blow off remaining water - assuming I haven't soaked something where the car won't run. Thoughts?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I suppose it would depend on the age/condition of the boots on the engine harnesses, coilpacks, etc..... I'd be putting some plastic wrap over the engine bay battery bus box (black plastic box with red + on it). Fortunately, you won't have to worry about the Motronics ECU on a 5.2 car.

The MAF sensor plug seems to cause problems from time to time. The crank sensor boots, too, but it would be impossible to wrap those.

Sounds like a tedious process. I haven't washed my car in 5 years of ownership, let alone the engine bay. Good luck!

3. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    #3 GSF355, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Some good hints and tips in this video. He may have more in other videos...

And this one:

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I washed my car without issue without any special rituals outside of the normal.
    I am ashamed to say this but the car got rained on, so I had no choice but to wash it.

I have been told that you really don't want water in the engine bay and I would agree. You could put a trash bag draped over the top of the engine to keep water off it and the electronics. Just make sure the engine is cool before you do!

I use a leaf blower and/or air compressor to blow the water out of the crevices.

5. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Gave 355 it's first ever engine wash. A few observations then it's probably enough said. Because of the long interval before washing, a few grease spots remain baked on. Tried Griot Engine Cleaner and dishwashing soap. Both cut grease and rinse clean but dish soap suds up better. A dauber brush is very helpful. Loop a wrist string thru the handle hole in case slippery hands drop it. With the areo tray underneath it won't fall to ground. Hard to retrieve. Good old Master Blaster air blower dries out every crevasse right now. Great tool. Griot aerosol engine detailer gives an attractive light satin finish. Quick mist is all that's needed.

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Griots is all that touches my cars.

FYI be sure to blow the water out of the spark plug holes underneath the cover. Those gaskets for it don't work. Oh and BTW if you do this, there are no torque values for those hex studs when you go to put it back on... I used non permanent high temp Locktite on mine.

7. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    Whenever I wash my car I usually place a couple of black bin bags over the cold engine just to keep things clean under there but I have it a good clean when I first bought it. Sprayed on some G101 amd gave it a good working in with a couple of brushes before hosing it off. I've got a pet hair dryer that I use to dry the car off whenever I wash it so gsbe everything a good blow dry and then sprayed on a bit of Autosmart Finish and left it all day. Have to say I'm really happy with the results

Image Unavailable, Please Login