1st Ferrari - So many decisions | FerrariChat

1st Ferrari - So many decisions

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildcat465, Nov 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildcat465

wildcat465 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My wife has made it clear to me that the '05 SL600 that sits in our garage is hers. So, I've decided that perhaps it's time to find something for myself. A new Ferrari is just not in the <$100k budget and I've been trolling this site for guidance. The car that I buy will have an easy life. I'm not one for racing or redlight drag racing, but I do enjoy getting out to drive for no reason. Our, I mean, my wife's, red SL600 provides, a safe, reliable (relatively), and supremely comfortable experience and even calls for help when when she needs it. With that said, I want something raw and leaning towards a Testarossa. Is there ayn reason that I should not buy this car for my 1st Ferrari?

2. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Testarossa means "raw" in Italian. Do it! :)

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    The Tesstarossa is a great car. But not one you want to go in with little information. It can be expensive to maintain, it is not modern and it is raw.

I look back 10 years ago and the best advice I got when asking the same question as you for my first ferrari - buy as new as you can afford/budget.

Of course I ended up buying a vintage 67 GTC - rather than modern.

I would have a look at the 550 Great V12 GT car, reliable, get in and go, etc.

I would also look at the 355 (spider or coupe) well within your price range and have money to spare for any maintenance).

You are also in the range of a 99 360 coupe as well...

Either way - do your research, ask this board with any questions, due more research, ask more questions, etc. Many first time F-car buyers that jump in fast end up with 10K in maintenance cost after they get their car due to "issues" they didn't know about going into it.

Good luck in the search - the search is almost as fun as driving it when you get it :)

Rich

4. GrandSportC3

GrandSportC3 Karting

Oct 8, 2005
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #4 GrandSportC3, Nov 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Patrick/Wildcat - Take your time, do your research & homework before making an impulse purchase. The value of a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) done by a skilled, lnowledgeable & reputible mechanic can not be over-stressed. However, no matter how good the car seems and regardless of the model, keep available $10K for service & maintenance the first year. There will always be something that will need attention and escapes the eyes of even the best technician. Low milaege is not always the best indicator either - look for a car that's been driven & services regularly. The shopping and research can be a great deal of fun too. A 355 Spider is a lovely car & well within your budget. Regarding the Testarossa, consider the high service costs - $10-15K for a major engine/belt service. Check with the local FCA chapter near you & I'm sure you'll find plenty of people very willing to talk to you about a first Ferrari. No mater what you end up with, you'll enjoy it. Have fun!

6. wildcat465

wildcat465 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It's interesting that you decided to go with a car from the 60s. That's my plan B. I love the classics (probably more than some of the stuff from the 80s and 90s). So, I'll be looking in that direction too. Where's a good place to go to get a sesne of where the market is for any particular car. The newer cars are easy to find; however, where do I go find prices for cars built in the 60s? I'm particularly interested in the 330GT 2+2 or a Dino, but I don't know what how much I should pay for one.

I like the exposed headlights of the 512M so that's the model that I'm leaning towrads; however, you've indicated that a 99 360 (another favorite of mine) might be attainable within my budget. Does anybody know pricig range for a '94 512? What should I expect to pay? I don't mind paying a $10k repair bill if a car comes in under budget. I just want a car that's unmodified, accident-free, and clean.

You also mentioned a 550. Most of those I've seen have been out of my price range. Those and the 465 would probably be a practical option (given that my daily driver has been a CL500), but I don't want a practical car. I want an icon.

7. wildcat465

wildcat465 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Trust me, I would not buy a Ferrai without a thorough PPI. If I buy a car that needs the major engine/belt service and then have it done, when is the next time that it would need to be done?

8. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Depends on the mileage when you buy the car, but usually every 15,000 miles or five years.

9. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    My thoughts,
    If you can spend under $100k I would go for the 360. No engine out, most all around performance. I started with a 348 with a PPI, major service just done, low miles and got a deal. Turned out the major was done wrong and the PPI didn't pick up the clutch was close to gone. $13k later she was good to go.

360 bullet proof motor, less to service, excellant handling, roomy, etc etc.

My 2 cents,

Good Luck,
    Mike

10. wildcat465

wildcat465 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just returned from the dealer. I explained that I was interested in anything under $150k and he showed me a '99 360, and '04 360 and a '04 Gallardo. The '04 360 had a warranty and has a seductive look that I like. It's a tough call becuase the Lambo is 4wd, current body, fresher interior and 500hp. I'm torn. Can any of these cars be driven everyday?

I sat in a Diablo and immediately knew that it's not what I want. He didn't have a TR, but suggested that maintenance will be higher than on the 360 or the Gallardo. I still want to check out a 512, but I'm leaing towards one of the noew cars.

I'm open to any opinions on the Gallardo vs 360 choice in front of me (Although I'm still open to a Testarossa.)

11. wildcat465

wildcat465 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks Mike,

What do you mean "no engine out?"

12. GrandSportC3

GrandSportC3 Karting

Oct 8, 2005
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    The big belt service (engine out) is only due every 5 years or 30000 miles...

13. sketchsk85

sketchsk85 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Thomas

i thought testarossa ment little red head? well either way the testarossa is wicked awesome....

-Thomas

14. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Testa=head
    Rossa=red

15. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Testa Rossetta = little red head?
    or, testita rossa? ;)

16. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Patrick

The 348, 355, and the TR when performing the 30K service (belt replacement) requires the engine be removed from the car (engine out) to have access.

The 360 does not require an engine out service, as it can be acomplished with the engine still in the vehicle.

"Engine out" requires an additional time (Labor) which makes the 30K service a lot more costly.

Regards,

Milton.

17. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    great advice, ricardo

18. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have you thought about a late model 328?....very reliable, excellent road car, not as pricey to repair, and will hold it's value....can get a good late model low mileage car for around $55,000

19. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Gallardo will be more reliable than Testa or 512 TR. Definitely a car that can be driven everyday. I don`t think the Testa/ 512 TR should be used this way. It is much older and more expensive to maintain!

You should drive both in order to decide. If the Gallardo is an egear car, then you should have the latest software update! 360 is also of much better quality than the Testa/512, although I`d prefer the Gallardo.

The Gallardo is raw, well designed, (very) fast, reliable and safe. No engine out service as it has got a chain drive instead of a belt!

20. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking

The TR's , 348's, and 355's all need the engine removed to do the major service every 3 -5 years or 15k miles. Very expensive!

As for the Gallardo. Make sure the clutch is new or been replaced. Some of those clutches were bad and went 3,000 to 5,000 miles. So I hear. Just something to check on.

Good Luck and make sure you posts pics when you decide.

Mike

21. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Patrick,
    Drop by Bobileff Motor cars if you haven't already, and Gary will give you the straight scoop on maintenance costs, reliability, etc., on these different cars.
    I bought my Boxer from him and he was very upfront about what to expect from it.
    No pressure, he'll tell you the pro's and con's of each, and let you make up your mind.
    Enjoy the search!
    John

22. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Clutches of early cars should be replaced. If this is done there shouldn`t be a problem concerning this issue in future.

23. wildcat465

wildcat465 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I stopped past Bobileffs today, but I should have checked their hours--They weren't open.

24. wildcat465

wildcat465 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    When I sat in the Gallardo, I thought "this is a car my wife can drive." The selfish side of me says get the TR; however, it wouldn't be as much fun if my wife couldn't/wouldn't drive it. Although she very much enjoys her SL600, I suspect that she wouldn't mind spending time behind the wheel of an exotic. I think I've narrowed my realistic options to a 360 or a Gallardo. Both are a little over budget, but I think that when you factor in maintenance cost and reliability these are the cars that make the most sense.

I find the Ferrari's looks more appealing; however, I'm concered about it's lack of power relative to the Lambo and the SL600. Of course the SL has a different mission and doesn't handle as well, but I love the SL's torque but it lacks the rawness that I'm looking for. I suspect that many of you are biased towards the Ferrari, but can you tell me if I'd find the 360 to have too little power? Is the G a better car than the 360?

25. wildcat465

wildcat465 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    There's been a change. I've actually had a chance to see a Testarossa live and I've decided that's the kind of car that I'm looking for. I was really moving towards a Gallardo until I saw the 512TR up close and it has kind of the old school look raw feel that I want. So, now I start my search in earnest.