1st Model with factory shields as an option | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1st Model with factory shields as an option

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Meister, Jan 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    My '99 355 F1 has them but as stated above I think you could get them in '98 too...

2. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    No, no, no, no, no. :( The hairs you are splitting are very tenuous :)

The GTC was not a "348 spec "but a limited production model in its own right. The shields were standard on the GTC they were not optional, the only option was a radio delete :cool:

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Look at the letter from Maranello dated 7th January on the 348gtc web site.

Spec is:
    Red paintwork
    Wing shields
    Split rim wheels
    Carbon seat
    Steering wheel
    Gear knob
    Aluminium pedals
    A plaque to prove you paid a lot more ;-')

Brakes, suspension, engine (same power) and eve clutch were standard - that doesn't constitute a separate model IMO - its just a few trim differences. You could get suspension and brake changes too but that was optional - see the autocar magazine article on same website.

4. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Yes I know the website very well, may I politely suggest you keep reading and you will find there were more changes than mentioned in that one letter. Ferrari themselves acknowledge the car as a separate model, whether you agree with them or not. ;)

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my '92 512tr has kind of rubberized version that was purportedly factory installed. i have not seen them on all 512tr's. fwiw.

6. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I disagree, Agnelli's Testarossa had badges, as seen on 60 minutes I believe. They might not have been available to everyone, but they were available to special customers from the beginning.

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    this sounds right. i recall only knowing about this option when the 360 came out ('99) so it makes sense that more inside people knew about it a year or two prior.

8. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #33 348Jeff, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have a look at the first 40 seconds or so of this video and note the following....

They are Ferrari 348 TB with Wing shields (challenge program was originally done with TBs not challenge cars). I'm going to revise my answer and say it was a 348TB as I reckon you got the wings as part of the factory support package. Note the standard wheels etc in the video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSDg898TI64]Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli 1993-2012 - YouTube[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think ALL Ferrari race cars got shields, as they were, by definition, breathed on by the scuderia.

Also, the challenge kits were dealer installed on the 348 Challenge, so not factory optional.

10. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  11. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Correct, my 1999 355 Spider wasn't a Fiorano and had factory shields.