1st time storing the 812 GTS | FerrariChat

1st time storing the 812 GTS

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Quick1, Nov 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quick1

Quick1 Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    B
    Hello everyone,
    I haven't had to store a Ferrari for a winter before and have been trying to read between the lines on how everything should be handled. There is every opinion out there on what is right and what is wrong. Nothing concrete for sources, but I've deduced these couple of pointers.
    #1 Make sure you treat your Fuel
    #2 Keep the battery tended
    #3 over inflate the tires by 5-10psi.
    I plan on doing those 3 things, but my question pertains to the fuel treatment. I know of STA-BIL, and have used Royal Purple motor oil with good success.
    So while researching, I came across this : https://www.royalpurple.com/product/max-clean-fuel-system-cleaner/
    I'm thinking I am going to add this, run it a couple more miles and then park the car for the winter.
    Anyone have any input on this product?

Also, if there are any glaring items missed from my winterization steps, please do include your suggestion.
    Thanks for your help!

Quickone

2. F12HeartThrob

F12HeartThrob Rookie

Oct 22, 2021
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Bobby L
    I keep my car in a climate controlled garage with temp set to 68°F and humidity set between 40-45%. It will help prevent rubber and leather from drying out.

How many months are you storing it for?

3. ACW44

ACW44 Rookie

Jan 1, 2010
    Ontario
    I have used STA-BIL in my 360 since 2010, with no problems. My GTS was treated a couple of days ago, along with several other cars. I have a 2001 Corvette that was treated at least 3 years ago (a double dose I believe) and it started up last week, no problem. I highly recommend STA-BIL Climate controlled garage as well. Thanks for the reminder on the tire pressure - I forgot.

Quick1 likes this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I usually put a note somewhere obvious that the tires are over inflated for storage- it's all too easy to forget they are inflated high. I usually look at the max psi for the tires and go about 5-7 lower. Just for some headroom.

Solid State, JackCongo and ACW44 like this.
  5. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Make sure the fuel tank is fully topped up to help prevent condensation build up. In a climate controlled garage it’s less of an issue, but good practice. Keep the battery tender on it. When you over inflate, don’t exceed the maximum PSI rating of the tire. 35-40psi should be sufficient, just make sure it’s done while the tires are cold. Fuel treatment is optional, but can’t hurt. If it’s extra humid through the winter inside, a hanging desiccant bag is never a bad idea (damp rid). If you have a pest problem, make sure to have pest traps setup around the garage.

I recommend people to once per month fire up the car, let it idle for 5ish minutes OUTSIDE, and if possible to take it for a 15-20 minute drive. If you aren’t going to drive it, while less desirable you can hold revs to get oil temps up. That lets all the fluids circulate and stay fresh. Condensation can build up in the crank case over a long winter depending on storage conditions. Your goal is to get the oil temp 185+. Once again, anytime the car runs it must be OUTSIDE. Even if the garage door is open, you can get carbon monoxide poisoning.

Funny enough I just did a small class for a local car club on prepping a car for winter use/storage

Caeruleus11, day355 and flash32 like this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Love everything you mentioned but would not start it if i wasn't going to drive it at least 10 miles ..i feel starting and reving it never gets the temp up ..lots of oil to get to over 212 to burn off water

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    #7 SeattleStew, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    If done on a regular basis you aren't going to run into issues because you won't have lots of condensation build up. But yes, you do need to get the oil hot which is what I was saying. Free revving will get the oil hot as you aren't getting airflow beyond what fans will accomplish to the oil cooler. And you aren't driving through cool winter air. Is it ideal? No, but if you are intent on firing up the car regularly but won't drive it, this would be the method. Not what I'd do, but it's an option.

As you noted, it will take awhile to cycle ~14qts of oil through the engine to get it to 212F+ where it gets hottest. I'm sure you know this, for those who don't though, the oil temp gauge does not need to read 212F, the oil is getting hotter inside the engine rather than where it's being read on the gauge.

The oil check procedure on the 812, if followed properly, will raise oil temps from around 198F to 202-204F in just a minute of revving at 4k rpm. To even get the car to 198F before doing the 4k rpm rev usually requires me driving around at 6k rpms for a couple minutes.

Just to be abundantly clear, I generally don't recommend idling the car and then free revving. It is an option, but not one that I would do personally. I'd rather drive the car to get water burned out.

Caeruleus11, day355 and flash32 like this.
  8. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I was told by both Ferrari dealers to just top up the fuel and Do Not start it and let it iddle. It will not do anything beneficial. As said above, if you can drive it around the block a few times, then that is the way to go. I was also told to not any Stabil or fuel additives over the winter. If something goes wrong with injectors etc, they would cover it under the warranty because of this extra additives. I just fill it up, plug it in and cover the car in a climate controlled garage.

9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Better to drive, but if you have to do it in place, the oil temp is the key. It also depends on what car and how long it's sitting.

The fuel level is an interesting discussion. I am of 2 minds. 1- if you fill it all the way up, sure the tank is fuel, less condensation, etc, but if the car isn't going to be driven very much for months, then you have a lot of fuel thats breaking down- modern gas breaks down pretty quickly- also it depends on the distance to the gas station... in my case I will easily burn 2 gallons... so its not really full.. in a 20 gallon tank thats 10%.... roads treated with crappy chemicals... no thanks.... 2- if its going to sit for a long time, leave it with maybe ⅓ to ¼ tank. First drive of season, drive nice and gently to the gas station, then once full, let the good times roll! Ive really come around to #2 here, but I've been advised of both by my mechanics, so I really think it's whatever you want to do. Modern cars are better designed for the terrible gas we have now. Older cars.... eek.

10. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Ive been told by 3 Ferrari dealers to never put in stabil or additives as well. I put stabil in other cars and its been fine but have never put it in Ferraris.

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    In some cars that recommendation could easily result in the fuel sender getting stuck and give inaccurate fuel level readings and require replacement of the fuel sender to correct. I have done that in the past, never again, always put the cars up with a full tank, period.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/how-long-can-gas-sit-in-a-car-before-it-goes-bad

Another tactic to keep fuel from degrading over time is to top-off your tank when you fill it. This will leave less room in the tank for moisture, which can cause water contamination and eventual corrosion. Also, a full tank limits the amount of oxygen in the tank which the gasoline is prone to evaporate into.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I recommend to fill up the tank with the highest quality fuel you can find.
    Also there's some kind of cradle for the wheels to keep them "round".

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent point

JTSE30 likes this.
  14. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    My advice:
    Get a set on winter high performance tires and drive the car when ever the conditions permit. Nothing like driving a Ferrari in the cold sunlight reflecting off the snow on the sides of the road

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The road conditions is not the problem, it's the damned SALT.
    I work at Vienna airport where they put even more of salt on the road.
    When the roads are dry, the tarmac is WHITE because of the salt.

When winter is over I always wait until the salt is washed away by heavy rain before taking my Ferrari out for a spin again.

350MH83, chorn74, SirTony76 and 4 others like this.
  16. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel

Me too.
    And i thought something is wrong with me.
    :)

Daniel

Elasto and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. Quick1

Quick1 Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    B
    Well...I guess this was to be expected. Every opinion for one way or the other. Thank you everyone for your experience and what you currently or previously have done. It sort of proves that it's probably not that big of a deal, since everyone has different opinions on it.

Fill it with gas, leave it low on fuel,
    Run the engine, don't run the engine,
    Stabilize or don't stabilize.

There is no way I'm driving the car on the salty roads that are further deteriorated with potholes. So that option is out. I don't like the idea storing for a long period of time then starting it up. (Damage occurs then) So why do it 3 or 4 times during the winter, when the coldest oil and driest the engine could be?
    I did add the Royal Purple fuel additive since it's a fuel system cleaner as well as stabilizer, so I'm thinking it will help and if not, it's too late, it's in the tank now. I think that a full tank of fresh gas is probably fine. The car will sit for 4 months or so and is stored in an insulated garage. It's not heated besides the cars that come in and park and a running refrigerator. It never gets below 40 degrees in the garage.
    I'll inflate the tires to 5 psi below max and repressurize in the spring. Factory battery tender will be installed as well.

Thanks everyone for your contribution.

18. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Im sure it will be fine

Thecadster likes this.
  19. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I generally fill up the tank, make sure pressures in tires as per manufacturer specs, put it on the tender and keep it in the garage. Garage is heated to 65 - 70. I've never had issues keeping it over the winter. I think they key things are don't put it somewhere damp, don't let animals get at it. All else is probably reasonable

Quick1 likes this.
  20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    OMG 40 degrees! Your Ferrari will catch a cold! Worst yet COVID-19! How could you be so thoughtless and uncaring about your Ferrari. Leaving it huddled with the unwashed masses of MBs, BMWs, RR etc, it will probably blow some codes at start up to teach you a lesson. I think I’ll call 911 and maybe even the governor to institute a Ferrari Red Flag law and rescue plan!

Seriously, modern Ferraris are pretty reliable. Inflate the tires, top off the gas and attach the battery tender and it will be great in the spring.
    And if you get the itch to drive it in winter, remember, it’s aluminum and won’t rust through like the Ferraris of old.

Quick1 likes this.
  21. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Are vermin going to be a potential issue?

I can give a helpful 101 if so.

22. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Just store it in a good garage.

3-4 months do nothing serious to modern engines. Put tender on. No worries. Even tire can be changed easy so no stress over how much psi.

I would worry more about how you treat your interior before storing than anything else. Treat good with best products. Let it not dry.

Use one time and throw away car cover if you are using one. Plastic cheap cover will do.

Main focus is the interior. One should do best to treat it right before storing.

Quick1 likes this.
  23. Quick1

Quick1 Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    B
    Well...I guess this was to be expected.
    No. It's on a lift in a garage and I have a cat on the prowl. :)

24. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Inflate tyres to the max, fill up with high quality fuel, treat the interior (I'm too lazy for that), done.

P.s. my FF is only hooked up to the tender every 2 or 3 weeks. No problems so far when starting up in spring for the last 3 years.