2.7 Motronic on a 97 model year? | FerrariChat

2.7 Motronic on a 97 model year?

Discussion in '348/355' started by SethP, Mar 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SethP

SethP Karting

Jul 2, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Parks
    Hi everyone. It's been a couple of year since I sold my 355B and am looking at buying another 355 because I miss it so much. I'm looking at a car in France that is marked as a 97 model year, first registered in France in 8/96 but it has the 2.7 Motronic system. Could this be original? Thanks in advance!

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's got the separate intakes into each plenum, not the merged intake and single MAF? If it's really got a 2.7 engine there's no way it's original.

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Seth,

If the car's initial delivery was to Switzerland, it might indeed be a Motronic 2.7 car. Switzerland did not mandate OBD2 Motronic 5.2 until 1997.

The build date is what's important in this case.

Barry

vvassallo, Mike Morrissey and Qavion like this.
  4. SethP

SethP Karting

Jul 2, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Parks
    Yes, seperate intakes. Everyting appears original. It was first registered 08/96 but the vin plaque in the door jam says it is model year 97. It has been in France it's whole life. My old 355 had the build date on the vin plaque but this one does not. Does anyone know where to find that on a Euro car? The Vin is 104472. Based on the registry, this would make it an early 96 car so I suppose it could have been built in 95.

5. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    I imported a car from Europe and was able to obtain the exact build date by calling a European dealership - they were able to email me a screenshot showing the vehicle details.

6. SethP

SethP Karting

Jul 2, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Parks
    Thank you everyone for the replies. I was able to determine that at least the block is original and I believe everything else. Everything I read said that OBD2 was not required until 2001 in Europe and there were cars made at least half way through 96 with 2.7 Motronic and even some cars that were sort of hybrid version of both.

Unfortunately, I was not able to purchase the car. And the search goes on......... Wish me luck. I need it!

Suffyk likes this.
  7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have seen a '96 MY 2.7 motronic but never a '97. That doesn't mean anything, though, Ferrari is known for oddities like that, especially pre 2000's. They were still making the parts and cars with 2.7 motronic through '99 for the challenge series as none of them had the 5.2 setup, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for them to ship some road cars with it that were in countries that didn't have the obd2 requirement. The '96 car I saw was, I think, Swiss and had made it state side.

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's true that OBD2 was not required by RoW until several years later than in US. For Porsche, US 993's were OBD1 in 1995 and then switched to OBD2 for the rest of production -- but the RoW models stayed OBD1 throughout production, which ended in 1998. But it is really weird if Ferrari picked out one single 355 in the production line and installed OBD1 on it.

9. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Is it a challenge car? I'm pretty sure they were available in a 2.7 in all years they were produced

10. SethP

SethP Karting

Jul 2, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Parks
    Just thinking about how rare it must be makes me wish I had been able to buy it even more. I would really prefer the 2.7 so having this on a later car is really appealing to me. It is not a challenge car. It's a GTS.

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ You would need to get an importation letter from Ferrari stating it meets US DOT, EPA, and CARB standards. (Which it would not)

Not sure if there's any way around that.

12. SethP

SethP Karting

Jul 2, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Parks
    I just put a deposit on a 95 GTS so the 2.7 should not be any issue on that. Can't wait to get it on this side of the pond!

Suffyk, 308 GTB and INTMD8 like this.