2 days to kill Houston / Dallas | FerrariChat

2 days to kill Houston / Dallas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by DenisC, Aug 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Hey guys I have full day meeting on Monday (Houston) and second meeting in Dallas Thursday. Suggestion / recommendation on what I can do /see in either cities or points in between.
    Thanks

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Monday night Birraporettis downtown has live band, usually blues..

The dealer has a lot of nice cars right now, or drop by Alara Garage on West 11th?
    Sphere Motorcars is wrenching in the front part of the building.

Confederate statues???
    :D :D :D

Not sure what's up Tuesday, Wednesday night is live at Under the Volcano, on Bissonett west of Rice University.

3. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Not sure if history is your thing but if this is your one and only trip to Dallas, you should probably walk around Dealey Plaza. The JFK sites are pretty much intact and as they were 54 years ago. You can walk behind that fence at the grassy knoll, stand on the spot where Abe Zapruder shot his film, and visit the Sixth Floor Museum in the former Texas School Book Depository. That black X on the pavement is still a pretty sobering site and the police station building where Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald is still standing. It will give you a whole new sense of the events of that sad day.

For fun - that whole West End/Deep Ellum area has pretty much gone through a cultural renaissance and is crawling with fine dining and clubbing opportunities not to mention live music venues and the Winspear Opera House.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Barbecue and gas station tacos!

Fuel City for the latter, Lockhart Smokehouse for the former.

T

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    In Houston:
    Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battlefield and Monument
    Also, if you drive down 225 to get to the above is interesting if you like industrial landscapes. The oil refineries along the route are an amazing sight.
    and, on the drive, if you go on Beltway 8, the bridge over the ship-channel is something you should experience, especially if you have a fear of high, steep areas.

In Dallas:
    Indoor skydiving (actually in Frisco). Take a tour of Jerry's palace (cowboys stadium). If they are still offering - attend a cowboys practice (in frisco)

Either city - try Fogo de Chao. One of my favorite restaurants.

Sid

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    When I lived in Houston, I used to take visitors on one of the harbor tours. Assume they still have them and were reasonably priced. The narration provides many interesting nuggets you would otherwise not hear and covers Houston's heritage as a petrochemical and oil and gas center and also some historical areas visible from the water. Better and safer than trying to drive a car and look at the same time.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Whatever you do, stay inside with the A/C.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This was my first thought. Really experience great working A/C units inside - your hotel, the restaurant next door, in the Uber back to the hotel, in the lobby of the hotel, and back in your room. Never underestimate the wonders of A/C!

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Old Texas saying: Oil & gas is what brought people to Houston. A/C is what keeps them there.

10. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For Dallas

Speedzone!

Back in the day I would go get plowed and race go-karts and dragsters. Oh and Gator toes! Downtown was my favorite place to go on weekends.

In Houston

I had a great time at NASA, also agree with the Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battlefield/monument. I loved going to Galveston as well but most thought I was weird.

11. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    +1 for NASA in Houston. I also think we have a great museum district.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    From my PMs I think he found Sphere/Alara....

Sorry I did not get together....I was out in my garage working on a bicycle!

13. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Thanks guys. Had a great time in Houston drove to Dallas with a few stops along the way. Great southern hospitality. But the heat !
    Made it out of DFW this am just before the storm :)

Cheers
    Denis

Btw love the Bombshell diners ;)

ps: So how long before the rental company forwards the toll?

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would strongly recommend you cancel your trip. Most companies have already announced they will be closed Monday due to the storm. The roads will be a mess and many streets will be flooded.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Two weeks or so...actually the Toll Agency will track you down via the rental firm.
    That's my experience....