2 MORE DEAD super car split | FerrariChat

2 MORE DEAD super car split

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ginoBBi512, May 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I saw that in USA California t 2 fools drive Hurracon killed themselves and almost innocent driver crashing into tree at 160 KMH / 100 MPH . Maybe Ferrari / Lambo restrict who they sell their machines to seems a good % should not own. I not say more.

thank you

2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    If you can tell a stupid asso who will wreck his car, just by looking at him, you’re a better man than me.
    If they could do that, then they should start with guns.

Ryan..., LARRYH, Jamie traina and 2 others like this.
  3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Gino,
    plenty of folks kill themselves with their cars.
    Not sure if the proportion is higher among lambo/Ferrari owners.
    You don’t read about mustang/Camry/Benz/suv driver dying b/c the news won’t draw eyeballs/clicks.

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Im not sure either, It just seems like we hear about it with these super cars more often then ever before, maybe because of the internet, but I have to say even years ago, if someone wrecked in an exotic, we would hear about it one way or another. As far as the what the other fellow said , I should have said maybe it would be a good idea to offer, or make it mandatory that they take a "super car driving school / course " , and test lol before they can complete the purchase..I also believe that driver / nanny aids give a false sense of security.

thank you

5. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

If it were up to me, all kids would do go-kart racing before getting a license. True car control cannot be taught in a few hours of driving school..... you need to learn on the track.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I bet it was a rental.

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    This is a completely stupid line of reasoning. While I agree that a driver's school should go along with the purchase of any of these cars, the reality is most are driven at 5 under the speed limit by guys trying to look important at cars and coffee, and not taking out telephone poles.

The sole reason that exotics wrecking make the news, is because they are exotics. When a Ford focus winds up in a tree, nobody cares. But when a Ferrari does, it lets the losers who can't afford to get a Ferrari gloat at 'some rich' guy's misfortune.

8. Metastable

This is true. I do not think it is any different than the thousands of crashes that happen world wide every day. In many cases proper attention and car control would greatly limit accidents. These supercar crashes get more attention because of the type of car and the fascination with the media that speed is to blame for everything, so when you have a car that is designed to go fast and it is wadded up...... you get “news”.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    There's idiots everywhere.

What's stopping the same kind of idiot from buying a 20K mustang and slapping a 7K supercharger on it and have 750 hp. Except he won't have the brakes to go along with it...

10. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

So true as evidenced by the multitude of YouTube videos showing exotics departing car shows and crashing, with throngs of jealous fools giggling and cackling with absolute joy. Abject losers!

daytona355 likes this.
  11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    It sometimes amazes me the shear amount of people driving wreaklessly we see on the roads when traveling any distance. Just yesterday on a trip to the dentist I quickly lost count, and it didn’t seem to matter what they drove. It just appeared that everyone else was in the way and they wanted to get around us and on to the destination as quickly as possible. I even had one poor soul come flying around me as I braked for a buzzard that took flight while feasting on a carcas in the road. You guessed it, they hit the buzzard and destroyed their windshield.

I’m not sure about the rest of the US but it seems since they did away with drivers education in school several years back drivers have progressively gotten worse. I have friends who are in law enforcement that somewhat back that up from the comments they claim are made, the time honored “I didn’t know that” line.

There is no excuse for driving recklessly, at best your an idiot and selfish. I’ve been guilty of idiocy from fooling around with the radio or paying attention to something other then what I should have been, the road. Of course that was in my younger years and luckily nothing ever happened other then feeling really stupid. And the higher performance your car the more responsible you need to be and as has been said before the nannies give you a false sense of security.

Of course most of what I’ve said nearly all of us already know. But it also means we have to pay extra attention when we are driving weather it’s a 488 or a Ford Pinto because the problem exists for everyone.

I'm 360 Canuck and Texas Forever like this.
  12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    You guys are confusing lack of skill with lack of sound judgment.

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would say it's a combination of both. I will never forget the first time I ever drove a Viper. I had just put an engine in it, and took it for a drive after.

I was completely blown away that such a car was available for sale to anybody who had the money. No traction control, no ABS brakes, zero drivers aids at all. That thing was scary fast and could get away from you in the blink of an eye.

The newer stuff is much different as they control more driver inputs them most people realize. The car now controls the driver, not the other way around. In many cases, you have to try really hard to bust one of these things up, or be completely inept at operating a high performance car.

I agree..there should be a specific class of licensing for high performance car owners. If you pass, you can purchase what you want. If you fail, back to the Pirus for you.

14. sdd

sdd Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    San Diego, CA USA
    In this particular case, the recent fatalities in California, IIRC, the vehicle was not owned by either person. The driver worked at a rental car agency, who owned the car. Subjecting Ferrari/Lambo owners to some sort of “idiot test” would not have worked here.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Honestly, I am far more worried about the typical mom in the minivan that can’t take herself off her smart phone for even a second to properly watch the road, than I am the unsafe supercar driver.

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Or the uh, government assisted people in their rusty 1992 Corollas weaving in and out of traffic on the highway because they don't care about anyone or anything. If they did they wouldn't be in the state they are in.

daytona355 and kes7u like this.
  17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I dunno, roger rodas was a pretty skilled and well trained driver and we saw what happens when bad judgment takes over in a supercar on the streets.
    Few of us are as great drivers as we think we are in our cars. IMO, admitting that is more valuable than any drivers courses anyone has ever taught.

tbakowsky likes this.
  18. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Like love and marriage, a horse and carriage, the two are inexorably intertwined. You simply can't have one without the other.

19. Metastable

I although personally - I would love the idea of a super license.... realistically I think we need better/harsher licensing standards period. However, speed limits should also be based on an engineering study and increased/lowered accordingly.... not arbitrarily determined by town council.

These days the #1 issue is lack of attention..... #2 lack of skill..... stupidity you cannot control.

20. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Metastable, I love your Prancing Moose!!

21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    So true.
    It's not just the skills, useless if one is not aware of own limitations.
    Spent 3 seasons in pro rallying circuit in the 80s, went to Rauno Aaltonen 2 week ice driving school in Finland, did all Ferrari Pilota levels and still do not consider myself a very good driver, better then average but definitely not great.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  22. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
  23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Supercar license, track experience etc will do nothing to prevent these things from happening.

Tracks are not streets. On a track, there are no cats or children or trees/telephone poles, or parked cars, or 90degree turns, or oncoming vehicles etc. On a track, drivers know to follow certain rules of engagement with each other.
    Comparing a track to a street is like comparing a boxing match to a street fight with a navy seal. One is a much more controlled environment than the other.
    That is why the macho boy racer behaviours belong on a track, not the street.

The main benefit of track experience is, after spinning out or going off the course a few times, you might have some more respect for the machine and a more accurate assessment of your own abilities ie judgement. You will not suddenly become a crash proof driver if you still make the same bad decisions.

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein