20 Percent Increase on 612 Insurance Premium | FerrariChat

20 Percent Increase on 612 Insurance Premium

Discussion in '612/599' started by lee-o, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Just received my 612 policy renewal, which is nearly a 20 percent increase from last year.

No change in driving record, no claims, no change in coverage, etc. I checked with two other collector car insurance carriers whom I had shopped a year ago, and their quotes are also up about 20 percent from last year.

I asked the reps whom I spoke with, one said California repair costs jumped, another said it could be model-specific.

Not really a big issue in terms of the absolute $ increase, but that is a big percentage increase. Anybody else seeing seeing big percentage increases in other states for a 612 policy?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I too recently saw a big spike in rates (CA also). I called and depending on who you talk to, you get a variety of answers (none the same). SO, it appears that they just raised rates to pay for the fires and pad for other exposure but don't want to tell the real truth about it.

lee-o likes this.
  3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #3 randkin, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Is the increase in the physical damage (Comprehensive and Collision premiums) or on the Bodily Injury and Property Damage Premiums or both?

If it is the Bodily Injury and Property Damage premiums then your company has experienced higher litigation costs in your geographical area or in CA in general.

If it is only the physical damage premiums then the increase is due to an increase in the repair costs your particular company has experienced in your geographic area. I really doubt it is model specific as I am not sure the insurance company’s individual statistics are creditable for a small sample size for a specific model let alone for a low volume car manufacturer.

If it is an across the board increase then your insurance carrier believes their premiums have been generally underpriced in all areas of CA. In CA insurance companies must justify statistically rate increases to the department of insurance (DOI) who reviews and approves the rate increase.

Despite what most folks believe insurance companies don’t like increasing their premiums as auto insurance is sooooo price sensitive. It is not possible to watch TV, go on the internet or listen to the radio without seeing or hearing at least a half dozen auto insurance commercials in a half hour time frame. Just in your case w/o a big $ increase you shopped your auto insurance and got alternate price quotations.

That said insurance companies willing to provide coverage on exotic or high valued autos is much more limited. The specialty companies providing exotic auto insurance are usually much more cognizant of increases in repair costs as there are so relative few repair facilities capable of working on these type of vehicles.

lee-o likes this.
  4. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Randy,

Thanks for much your detailed reply. In terms of your question, collision, comprehensive and bodily injury all went up, though bodily injury is a relatively small number, so it may be hard to infer much from that (it rose from $45 to $52).

At $1,090 per year for a no-deductible policy, I am still surprised that it is not higher, particularly given the number of uninsured and underinsured drivers in California, and the fact that California roads and highways are close to the bottom in the country in terms of need of repair.

Cheers,

Lee

randkin likes this.
  5. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    John,

How are the roads in your area? So many potholes in roads in my area that a broken axle is a distinct possibility.

Cheers,

Lee

6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Lee
    Two thoughts 1) Get quotes on the largest deductible you want to afford for both Comprehensive and Collision - keep in mind you are likely not going to put in a claim for smaller damage amounts so at least get the rate/premium credit for actions you are currently employing.
    2) Make sure that you have "collision deductible wiver" on your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage - not very expensive and important if you elect a larger comprehensive/collision deductible.
    My personal thought is that repair costs have gone up significantly for body shops in the Santa Barbara/Ventura area. My wife receintly had an accident and the repair costs for our Pano were much higher than I had expected from a few years ago.

EastMemphis and lee-o like this.
  7. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Hi Randy,

Thanks so much, all terrific suggestions. Not sure what algorithm Grundy uses, but there was relatively little difference between the $0 and $500 deductible policies. It may have to do with the specific policy I have, which is 1,000 miles per year, only pleasure driving, but not sure.

Repair costs really have jumped. My wife scratched a bumper at her work parking lot when she was backing up. The owner of the other vehicle was very accommodating, as she was willing to have the dent sucked out and then the bumper repainted. The cost of replacing the bumper (on a Toyota Camry) was nuts.

Cheers,

Lee

randkin likes this.
  8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    John, See my prior post #3. The insurance companies must submit a rate change/increase to the Department of Insurance (DOI) for approval and must backup the reasons for that rate change and justify both up and down rate changes with some kind of creditable loss and premium figures. I am not an actuary so have particulars on actually what is required to request and get approval for rate changes from the DOI but I have many discussions with insurance company executive management on rate changes over my career as an insurance broker.

lee-o and Skidkid like this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thank you for the information. Fchat is always a useful resource. So may people with great knowledge. :)

randkin likes this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Our roads are not great in the South Bay. The drive to the office is on 280/680 and there are edges that are at least 3" tall. There are some places with surprise potholes as well. The edges I am stuck with the potholes I can learn where they are and avoid.

I was up in Alameda County last week (Pleasanton) and the roads there are significantly better.

lee-o likes this.
  11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While I don’t drive my 612 so much but definitely more that 1k per year so I have no mileage limitation. Since your policy has relatively very little over the road exposure they is not so much premium differential in the deductibles.

lee-o likes this.