2001 360 Modena Fresh battery, no start | FerrariChat

2001 360 Modena Fresh battery, no start

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sedat, Oct 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sedat

Sedat Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    Checked everywhere and can't seem to figure it out. I was out of town for a couple weeks and when i got come i realized i left the trunk of my 360 open and the battery off the tender. After a few failed attempts i purchased a new battery and installed it. When i went to fire it up the engine turned over strong but just didn't start. I called my mechanic and he recommended changing the battery in my remote. Still no luck.

So just to detail the exact events. Car was running fine. Sat 2 weeks. Replaced battery. Replaced remote battery. Stick key in ignition. Turn halfway. Dash NO LONGER says "Check OK" but now says "ASR". Continue to turn key. Engine cranks strong but does not start.

Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated. Winter is coming and i have to get her fired up and take her to storage in the next couple weeks.

All the best.

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    You do hit the button on the remote before sticking the key in the ignition and turning it, right?

3. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    I was under the impression that with a new battery you need to pick the car doors with remote and then unlock them and wait 30 seconds before trying to start car. This allows the systems to relearn themselves. Hope this helps.

4. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    Lock the doors not pick.... sorry auto correct!

G. Pepper likes this.
  5. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    F1 or manual?

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sure, that's what any car thief would say. lol

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    What is your procedure for starting the car? Does the alarm remote lock/unlock the car and disable the alarm system? When you turn the ignition key on, is the red alarm LED on the left of the dash flashing? Does it go solid when you disarm the remote? If not, then there is a problem with the alarm system/immoblizer that is not allowing the car to start.

8. Sedat

Sedat Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    My procedure for starting the car is as such:
    1. LED is flashing. Push button on remote. LED turns off.
    2. Stick key in ignition and wait for check ok. Dash says ASR (it used to say CHECK OK). LED for alarm comes on and stays on (solid, not blinking).
    3. Turn key. Engine cranks strong but car does not fire up.
    I have owned this car for 10 years and this is the first time i have ever had this issue.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

9. Sedat

Sedat Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    Well still no luck, i am into the fuses now, i am individually going through and testing them with a multimeter to see if maybe something got shorted during the battery swapping process.

10. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    ASR staying lit in this circumstance can mean that some electronics got damaged (e.g. ASR/ABS ECU). This can happen with voltage spikes from jump starting or from turning the ignition key and attempting to crank with a low battery.

11. Sedat

Sedat Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    Well i found the culprit. After getting behind the seats to see the fuse panel i found copious amounts of wadded up insulation. A mouse had made its home in my car. I suppose when he got hungry is when he started eating through my wiring harness because i have a big messed of destroyed wires now. I set a trap and caught him in about 10 minutes. Tomorrow ill clean the rest of it out and get to work rewiring the loom. Should be a nice little project!

360 Kiwi likes this.
  12. Sedat

Sedat Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    So i had a mouse chew through a bunch of wires behind the seat of my 360 (where the fuses and relays are kept). I fixed and replaced all the wires but she still won't start. The engine turns over fine but no ignition. I am wondering if the source of the issue might be a bad relay from frayed wires getting crossed? I checked all the fuses with a multimeter and they look good. I have two 360's so my next plan of attack is to transfer the relays from the 360 that starts to the one that doesn't and give that a crack. Any suggestions? Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would go back to testing the basics to avoid a wild goose chase. Make sure you have fuel pressure, injectors working and sparks. Also check that your battery is up to snuff. The ECUs will disable fuel injection if the engine is not turning at the expected RPM when cranking. This is to prevent flooding the cylinders.

14. Sedat

Sedat Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    I have a brand new battery installed in both my car and my remote. Engine cranks very well but no ignition. I agree, could be no fuel flow, but I'm at the point where i think this thing had better go to my mechanic to get sorted out.

15. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    I would check the fuel cut-off switch in driver's footwell.

Is this is a manual or an F1? The F1 has more starting interlocks.

16. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I had something similar happen with my 360 and it turned out I had a bad ground. They corrected my ground and everything came back to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You checked behind the other seat? That's where alot of the ECU relays are IIRC..