2001 360 spider fuel gauge | FerrariChat

2001 360 spider fuel gauge

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by knocker, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    hi all I was on a drive yesterday car was running well fuel gauge reflected fuel in tanks,,the car lost power exhaust note changed.f1 light came on engine light came on no smoke from engine no odd noises from gearbox.it just lost power like it was out of fuel in December last year iIhad major service and new fuel pumps,with the oval shaped floats pumps could these newer pumps give a bad reading in the cockpit,daft question ?
    or am i clutching at straws

2. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Hey Adrian, I seem to recall someone else had this problem just recently. They had new fuel pump with sender installed and wound up broken down on the side of the road. Rang the mechanic, he suggested no fuel (despite the gauge showing it had some) and low and behold, after topping up he was away again.
    I think there was a suggestion that different parts had different calibrations

knocker likes this.
  3. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
  4. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    there you are , i missed this post,good to know this is not uncommon ,this should be made known to all 360/430 owners thanks again i wasnt being rude i genuinly missed the post thanks
    regards Adrian

5. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Ferrari 360 replacement updated new fuel pumps can give wrong readings on fuel gauge resulting in running out of fuel I know first hand and I’m not alone If you change the pumps make shure they are calibrated to the fuel sender /gauge to get accurate readings .

6. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I am the one who experienced the problem with running out of gas with the new pumps !! Haha

How exactly do you calibrate the new fuel pumps ?

I need to tell my mechanic to fix this !!! thanks !!!

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I have generally seen that the pump sending unit arm gets bent at some point during the install and the float then interferes with the fuel pump itself or the side of the tank and will not drop down far enough to read empty. I suspect that is what has occurred in your case.