2002 Vipers | FerrariChat

2002 Vipers

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sherrillt, Nov 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #1 sherrillt, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    I am considering buying a Viper (93-02) and looking closer at the last year since it's the most refined.

Q. What are the `02 Vipers pulling at auction (<20k mi) and what are any owner impressions of the Gen 1/2 convertible iteration in particular ?

2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I have no driving impressions, but I think the 02 is the first year with ABS, though I could be wrong.

3. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    No it starts with the 2001, which has the better frame, pistons, and ABS.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Gen 2 RT10's are $28-$38k. I was in the market a couple years ago. 97-2002 is the sweet zone IMO, the 96 and pre models are just a little too raw AC is very rare in those years, wheels are better looking IMO post 96, hood scoop helps the appearance of the front of the car, post 96 there are more colors to choose from. You can get an early car for low $20ks if you just want a fast, raw, rocket

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I thought they stopped using forged pistons around 97-98. Could be wrong.

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    96 gts and rt10's are totally different.

7. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Went to cast pistons (rich, corinthian hypereutectic). Creampuff. Less lopey cam, too.

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #8 leead1, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    The older Vipers are the best and most aggressive looking cars. The early cars are a raw drivers car. The great news is they are reliable.

If I remember correctly the early cars had 400 hp. In the day that was awesome. Today still good but no big deal.

The early cars had a nervous chassis and not a great drivers car, okay but not good.

Also the lake side pipes put out al ot of heat into the cockpit.

It is hard to find so much performance and exotic style for the money.

Each year the Viper got better. The gen 5 is a stunning super car in all ways. They also corrected all the problems I mentioned plus a few smaller points.

Enjoy

Lee

9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I wrote about this a few days ago in Silver where someone was asking something similar. Get a 2001 or 2002, they felt much better put together compared to the earlier ones. Either that or my 98 was used and abused by the previous owners.

The main reason to get a 2001 or 02 is the ABS though, in my opinion. The car has no nannies as is and I see ABS as pretty important especially in such a high performance car.

10. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have had friends wrap their Viper around tree and in one case a stop sign. These cars have enormous torque, all years and should be respected. These freinds all had experience with high hp cars.

I am not sure about ABS which tears etc. The more security and safe gaurds you can get your Viper with the better.

I love these cars so enjoy. These cars are truly an American exotic !

Lee

12. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    $28-38k is actually retail - I'm trying to get a wholesale baseline on the 2002 (clean example) or any other year for reference. I know there are a lot of beat and repaired examples of Gen 1/2 cars out there, and the lower end of Gen 1 is in the teens; in fact I just discussed a nicely repaired/branded title example (looked great) which sold for $17k, but that's not what I'm looking for.

13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I prefer to deal with a private seller who I can talk with and gauge. If he has records even better. Buying from a dealer will generally be more expensive; not to mention many pass the cars around and things get lost.

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Have tracked a 2nd and 3rd generation Viper at Lime Rock.
    So exhilarating. My friend who went off in one into the weeds, and well maybe tends to drive 11/10s too often wanted to buy one.

Took a lot to talk him off the cliff. Be careful and buy the best tires you can.

15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The 2016 Hellcat makes the gen 5 Viper feel slow which of course it is not. The new Hellcat has even better sound and power than the better exotic looking Viper.

The Viper specs are 640hp and the Hellcat 707. Chrysler is really coming back alive and ready to fight. The hp difference feels like a wider spread when you drive the car.

I suspect one or both of the factory hp rating are different than specs.

Best

Lee

16. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You have single handedly convinced me to take a serious look at a hellcat. You can read all the reviews and youtube videos you want, but I take pause when someone that has owned and driven the cars you have praises a car like the Hellcat. I'm a big guy at 6'3"/240. I love a lot of sports cars but the reality is that I don't fit comfortably in a lot of them and these Hellcats seem like a nice option - especially for someone like me who is never going to put it on a track.

17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Slight correction...

97-99 best motor- All had forged motors, 97 had slightly better cam

2000- Known as the worst year. Introduction of hyper-pathetic pistons. No forged motor no ABS... AKA the creampuff. Sutible for people never driving in anger

2001-2002 Still hyperpathetic pistons but had abs. Cars slightly more solid or more luxurious at this point (for a viper... more of like putting a rubber comfort grip on a hammer than just the wooden handle)

In 1998 they introduced a textured dash and some slightly improved features new interior door handles. Window switches that weren't out of a neon etc...

If you are going to putz around... any will work... and they are all great extremely reliable cars.

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    You are very kind. I hope you like it after you drive it.

Best

Lee

19. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My Camry (yes you read that right) lease is up next July and have started shopping for it's replacement. Same to you.

20. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I am not sure what to tell you. I can say the VW CPI or R cars are a blast to drive. They are not very expensive.

The other car is the C7 Corvette. I bought mine for $50K with the small 460hp motor and no special handling package. I think the corvette now handles as well as some European exotic cars. The emense torque of an big American V8 seals the deal for me.

Have fun looking :)

Lee