Sold - 2004 Fleetwood Excursion 39L (Freightliner) RV | FerrariChat

Sold 2004 Fleetwood Excursion 39L (Freightliner) RV

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by c4b4the04, Sep 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Hi all,

We are toying with the idea of selling our RV. This was the absolute top of the line chassis and motor combination in 2004, and this model doesn't need the DEF diesel additive, which makes it very appealing. The ISC Cummins turbo diesel is rated at 350 horse, with 1045 ft lbs torque. Vehicle weight at 28k handles like a car through that Allison 6 speed automatic.

Vehicle is a two family owned since new, non smoker and non children. Flexsteel leather seating throughout, washer and dryer. Gas range and oven, upgraded 10 gallon hot water heater runs on 3 energy supply as does the full size fridge (with ice maker). Queen master suite is roomy and the walk in closet leaves plenty of space for extended stays away. 36k miles since new, these are rated and several hundred thousand mile chassis.

Both the owners that bought it new and myself are meticulous with maintenance and all documentation is present since new. I met the previous owner instructing for various auto groups around the country. This simplified our ability to stay trackside and tow our vehicles.

Since I acquired it, I have replaced chassis AC compressor, belts, new house batteries, AC lines, house battery cables, replaced front shoes and drums, new brake controller, serviced generator, serviced auto leveling system, replaced back up camera with full color GPS with modern RV mapping, upgraded LCD tv panels mounted properly, rebuilt small things throughout the chassis. New condensor fan, new dryer, New front remote control spotlight installed, new wipers and hose assemblies, braided steel washer hoses (no problems, I just don't like rubber hoses that can pop), new air charge intake pipe to eliminate any water intrusion. All four slides work well, awnings on top of them are in good condition. Paint is excellent for its age and there are just a few spots showing any wear at all. Cooling system was just serviced, along with power steering flush (6 gallons!), oil change (5+ gallons), coolant charge filter replaced, new diesel filter as well. Generator got an oil change but I did coolant in that last year, so I will wait until next year on that.

7500 watt Onan, as well as onboard Inverter. You can make a latte driving down the road (well, spouse or S/O should be doing it while you drive...maybe not a good idea to do both at once). Heated, power recliner passenger seat is perfect for long drives. The sofa pulls out to a queen bed with real mattress and the 6 person dinette converts to a full bed. It is no problem to have two adult couples in this for a weekend. Perfect for a family of 4 or 5 as well. TV antenna is updated to digital but I usually use a Firestick and have Youtube TV. Stream through your phone and you've got tv in the bedroom and the main area. DVD player in the bedroom as well, just haven't ever used it.

Previous owners had the membrane roof resealed in 2017, so it is good for many years to come. Tires were installed in 2013 and have about 5000 miles on them since new, they are good for several more years.

Driving one of these is not bad, once you get used to the air brakes. My understanding is that you do not need a CDL to drive one as it is recreational but I would encourage you to check ahead of time.

The only things that I know of that need attention/noteworthy:
    The very leading edge of the awning is starting to fray where it connects to the body. It is small but I want to be thorough. The door lock for the remote control system (think electric door lock in a car) stopped working a year ago. It's a few hours to take the door apart and I just haven't had the time. I rarely used it anyway, as I have the keys on me at al times.

We upgraded to this from a work and play camping trailer for the race car a few years ago. It has been a pleasure and I have enjoyed working on it. If you would like to see some examples of my mechanical handiwork, check out the thread on the TR Forum about rebuilding my transaxle this spring. I also have a Facebook page Bellarosa2019 that showcases my skills. Sometimes it's just nice to see "who" owned it before you.

I am asking $62k for it. I think that is very fair considering condition and options. I could be persuaded to work with you some on price, were the right situation to develop. Time is $ and making a simple sale goes a long way with me. Clean MD title, so no loans or silliness with paperwork. This is a clean RV inside and out that has never seen winter conditions. I would be happy to do a Facetime walkthrough with you. The vehicle is about an hour from my house and it would have to be coordinated. We are nearby to the DC airports for a would-be buyer to fly in and drive home.

If you aren't familiar with the specifics, check online and see if this would fit your needs. It is an incredibly well built Freightliner chassis with all the upgrades you could want. We will own another one in the future, we are considering a move to a house with more garage space (one toybox to another!).

Best,
    Cassidy

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Oh, fun story you may like...the pic of me hauling the race car was taken by a truck driver in NY. I was headed back from the Ferrari event at Watkins Glen and someone saw me, snapped a pic. That pic made it back around the web to me within 6 hours, as someone recognized my Corvette from the picture and shared it with me. Only time I've gotten 'fan mail'?!

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I know little about those but love the interior! Good luck with the sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c4b4the04 likes this.
  4. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I had a Providence 39s, (very similar) we absolutely loved it. Very reliable and the Cumins engine has a reputation to go a million miles...
    GLWS

Ben

Texas Forever and c4b4the04 like this.
  5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can it pull say 7,000 pounds?

c4b4the04 likes this.
  7. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Hitch is a 10,000 rated. I’ve hauled 5500 and you don’t know it’s there. Brand new progressive brake controller and new socket in 2018. I’ve got an aluminum enclosed and it’s no problem at all.

When we go to VIR, there’s a guy with the same rig that hauls a stacker. It has its own air brakes and a different hitch mount but his trailer is close to 20,000 and he has no issues hauling with the same frame and ISC motor.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    whats with the vette?

9. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    It's a 2000 World Challenge spec car, built on a Fixed Roof Coupe platform. It is a forged driveline, spherical suspension, full ducted areo and caged. It's a blast to drive and I use it to instruct. I have done classroom for Ferrari Club of America at their driving events for the past few seasons and done in-car work for the past decade. This is my "classroom" for showing students techniques. Can't beat the consumable costs versus an Italian car on track. I can hang with an intermediate driver in a 458, an advanced driver in a 430 or less. An advanced 458 or Challenge car? I don't have a whole lot for them in straight lines...!

Kainedogg and Il Tifoso like this.
  10. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    What is the height overall of the rig?

11. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    If I recall correctly, it is about 11 1/2 feet with suspension up. If you have to go lower, you can bottom out the air suspension and get another few inches. Covered bridges in the back country are really your big worries. The AC units and the satellite dome are the tall items back there, I removed the AM/FM Antenna from the very back (just unscrews) as it would hit branches and went up another 18". If you stay on mostly main roads, semi trucks will do the clearance for all of your branches and you're fine.

When we drive down to VIR for track events, those roads get sort of narrow towards Danville. We haven't ever had any issues with overhanging branches. The first owner (and the guy that taught me to drive it!) drilled it into my head ALWAYS watch for low hanging stuff. The GPS has the size at 12.5', and won't route you anywhere without clearance.

12. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Thanks

13. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Just mentioning this before season. If we upgrade/sell I want to be ready for the FCA events this year.

Thought I would share again with FC community. If you are interested, we could arrange a virtual visit over Facetime and walk around the coach. I am working weekends this month with new track instructors but would make time if someone were interested. Started it up last week, ran it for an hour. It had about 55 miles driven last year...

14. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I have the exact same 2005 model, it’ been great and a great layout. GLWS.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had wanted something smaller for a long time for business because I used to be all over town, needed more of a mobile office. think Sprinter, with elliptical and shower but not needed anymore. HOWEVER, the same reason I don't need THAT anymore, COVID, now I want something more like THIS because the family and I are going friggin' stir crazy. I have got to believe that RVs are going to do well near term for sure as people are forced to wear masks in hotels, all pubic transportation, etc. If we had something like this I guarantee you we'd have taken half a dozen family vacations in it this last year alone. I see this and I'm seriously interested. Price point is great. Just no place to park it.

16. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I feel you on the parking thing....we live in a HOA community on a cul de sac. When I tow the race car or Ferrari I am unable to turn around and have to either back in the street or unhook and separate turn (my lawn tractor has a hitch for moving the trailer).

I pay for a secured parking spot at a local yard. It is near enough by, secured and monitored 24 hours. The nice thing about a rig like this is you rarely have a "dead" battery. Even if your coach battery is low, it is ALWAYS enough to start the generator, and that will charge the battery to start. You don't need to babysit it with full hookups, it does very nicely for us whenever we need it and is out of the way the rest of the time.

Thanks for the positive vibes, it has been a great rig. If you are at all serious, you may want to poke around and see what storage you have locally. Mine is around 200 a month for a 40' and all electronic in/out access. I'll include a bus-sized car cover in the deal as well. You and 30 of your friends can have fun putting it on!!! I've never actually tried to put it on, but it came with the RV and is like new (probably because the other owner couldn't find a way to put it on either!!!).

17. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    By the way, your avatar looks like Summit Point. I see we are close by one another so maybe that is right? We start our instructor training up at SPR and SC this weekend, I'll be doing classroom and in-car (looking forward to being back on track).

Piper likes this.
  18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yep, Summit, during the FCA nation meet. My car is actually in front of the one in my avatar. They "upgraded" fchat several years ago and it truncated my avatar. Never fixed it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Well it would appear our rig is sold. Thank you all, it will be part of the 'paddock life' for many more FCA track events to come.

GatorFL likes this.