2005 360 Spider Top Problem | FerrariChat

2005 360 Spider Top Problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by kjw9028, Jul 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    The driver side rear buttress sections of my convertible top are not tightening up. It appears that perhaps the end of one of the cables has broken off and as a result not engaging/holding as the top pulls tight. it looks like it was only secured by a plastic wire tie down. Has any one else had the problem? Any diagrams of the top to verify that this is the cause? The end cap on th opposite side cable doesnt appear to be very large, just enough so to prevent pulling away from the tie down, can another be pressure fitted on to prevent having to have the top taken apart? Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Ken

2. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    Ken,

Can you post a few photos of the problem area, because your description doesn't really set the picture. It's a bit difficult to visualise.

3. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    #3 kjw9028, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This picture was posted on an older thread but the owner indicated the dealer he purchased it from took care of the problem so he did not know the cause/remedy. With the top about half way up, there is a cable that seems to secure under a plastic tie down clamp. A small button end prevents the cable from sliding through the tie down and must provide enough resistance to tighten up that small section of top. At least thats how it appears looking at the other side. Almost looks too simple, unless I am missing something. If I can just crimp on another end cap it would be alot easier than getting the car to my dealer ( 100+ mi away ), leaving it there and then having to go retrieve it. Maybe there is another cause? Thanks for any input.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    Dug in a little deeper today. Should have know it could not be that easy. Smaller diameter cable snapped where it wraps around and under the pastic clamp. Could not track it past that spot, thats why it appeared it was just wrapped around it. Off to the dealer for repair- curious though, does anyone have diagrams of how the top works? Thanks.