2005 612 Digital Dashboard cutting out | FerrariChat

2005 612 Digital Dashboard cutting out

Discussion in '612/599' started by Kemp Stickney, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kemp Stickney

Kemp Stickney Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Kemp Stickney
    Yesterday I drove my 2005 612 for the first time in three weeks. It has 6700 miles. I noticed at a stop light that the digital display screen to left would cut out for a split second and then come back on again and display the warnings and then go back to normal. It is almost as if the whole car shut down for a nano second and then switched back on. This happened several times on my 30 minute drive but didn’t seem to happen at speed. Could this be a bad relay or an alternator problem? Anyone have this experience already? Many thx. Kemp

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Battery on the way out would be my first guess.

3. Kemp Stickney

Kemp Stickney Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Kemp Stickney
    Thx. Will check. Hopefully that simple.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Please keep us updated. I too would be hopeful it is simply a low battery.

I'm on a Lexus forum for my LS 460 and I can tell you a failing battery causes all sorts of electrical problems. I read about it all the time.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I had this happen on my 599. Unfortunately, in my case at least, it was the entire circuit board for the displays. It begins to fail. They simply did not design enough cooling into the areas where these components reside. Over time heat will cause them to fail. You should make sure to properly diagnose it. In my case the choice was between getting new components (very expensive) or sending the damaged components out for repair (just regular expensive). I chose repair. I then sold the car about a year later. My mechanic found a guy who repairs these modules. Unfortunately I never got the guy's name. The first step is making sure you know the problem for sure. However, I would not wait and I would not drive the car right now. It could be dangerous if those displays fail while you are driving.

6. PHAB

PHAB Rookie

Aug 8, 2012
    I am not sure about the danger of the displays failing but I do know that you are correct about it being a poor design which leads to excess heat and the premature failing of components on the instrument cluster circuitry.

I also know that BBA-Reman in the UK are bringing out a repair the 599/612 instrument clusters for this exact fault - I was down there last week and they had 6 of them on test so it is clearly a common failure. Worth a call Id think.

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In my case, while I was never in any danger, it was certainly surprising to have the entire dash go dead while I was driving along. I think its best to avoid those kinds of surprises, though I should point out that the car never stopped otherwise functioning. Gears shifted, brakes, steering, accelerator, all functioned as intended. I just drove home and called my shop.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If there is an actual display failure, FAI are the US experts on digital cluster diagnosis and repair.

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew

[email protected]

Will White

http://www.ferrarioc.com/

Makuono likes this.
  9. Kemp Stickney

Kemp Stickney Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Kemp Stickney
    As promised here is the Update. The Battery was fine. It appeared that the alternator was not working properly. When checked it appears that the ground to the alternator failed and once that ground connection was repaired all is well and operating normally.