2005 Maserati Cambiocorsa Coipe | FerrariChat

2005 Maserati Cambiocorsa Coipe

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by drdavis, Oct 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drdavis

drdavis Rookie

Oct 3, 2022
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Dennis Davis
    Can I replace/trade out the current transmission with a ZF 6 speed automatic transmission? 4.2L V8.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Who is using a 6 spd rear mounted ZF automatic transaxle you'd use as a donor?

3. drdavis

drdavis Rookie

Oct 3, 2022
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Dennis Davis
    Not sure what you mean ? I have never owned a sports car before and it seems everyone says the transmission I have is a trouble spot, so as most vehicles you can upgrade to a better tranny. Corvettes have had transaxles for many years and I have not heard anything bad about them.
    I have no problems with what I have it runs and shift great. The previous owner did install a Drive By Wire conversion kit and had it installed and it does make a big difference in shifting auto or using the paddles. I was just wondering if there is a upgraded/updated transaxle that could be used if one day I would have problems??

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We you mentioned a ZF transaxle. It sounded like you had something in mind I was unaware of.

The Maserati has its clutch attached to the engine. A large part and the floor of the car is designed to accommodate it. The Corvette has its torque converter the same piece for an automatic which is also large at the back. I would be very surprised if the floor or the frame could accommodate it. That situation alone would complicate the conversion all by itself. Also the small higher revving Maserati motor likely needs different stall speed and gearing that the big torquey Corvette engine.

Anything can be done given enough of a budget. Is it worth the value of the entire car doing the conversion? Its really easy to imagine it could cost that or more.

5. drdavis

drdavis Rookie

Oct 3, 2022
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Dennis Davis
    Maserati 2007 has a ZF 6 speed automatic transaxle transmission per its specs I forget the model. I was not thinking of a corvette conversion. Yes that would be a costly makeover. I guess there is no better tranny or away to upgrade it to be stronger at the clutch site. Sounds like the clutch is the draw back. So is there a heavy duty clutch or a way to make it more reliable?
    Thanks for your responses very useful thus far.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I dont see any of the Maserati line using a rear mounted automatic transaxle. I thought those were for the GT, Ghibli and the Quattroprte. All front mounted to my knowledge.

7. drdavis

drdavis Rookie

Oct 3, 2022
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Dennis Davis
    You are probably right. Since I sm new to Maserati I figured when they stayed transaxle it was like I have.. Bummer.
    So far I am pleased with what I have, I did not pay that much and already can sell it for motor than I paid. It had 26,800 miles on it and now 27,002 on it. I have all its records clutch was replaced at 24,060 miles. Just found out it has. 4k with if speakers and another 2k in amps but the job was not completed. Person who owned it passed away right after I purchased it. Reason he sold it was he was very I’ll for long time and per his wife he knew his time was near. So I finish the stereo by replacing original radio etc. a week ago.
    So since you seem to know something about these vehicles do you have any advise/suggestions as to what I should be aware of or look for?
    I change oil and grease on my truck every 2000-2500 miles which the book states 5000-10,000 using synthetic oils depending on how one drives. So I take care of the things I own.

8. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    No need for any changes or upgrades. The clutches are all just fine. Proper usage and freaking out about percentages are the problem.

9. drdavis

drdavis Rookie

Oct 3, 2022
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Dennis Davis
    Thanks much for that and all your time. It is very much appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Denny

10. mike paner

mike paner Rookie

Feb 23, 2023
    I was just wondering if there is a upgraded/updated transaxle that could be used if one day I would have problems??

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    They are pretty reliable cars. They are a little quirky and glitchy (sometimes the factory radio tuned in stations, sometimes it didn't, for example), but basically very reliable and only require normal fluids/filters maintenance. The F1 relay was the only issue we had -- very expensive to have replaced at a dealer but I think is a very, very simple and inexpensive DIY repair. The clutch is expensive to replace -- it isn't particularly weak, but there are things that can make it wear very fast. The clutch will wear quickly if you use "auto" mode because it feathers the clutch on every shift to smooth it out. Always shift with the paddles and use "Sport" mode (less slipping of clutch on shifts), and the clutch should last a long time. I have no direct experience with this, but supposedly backing up in reverse up a hill can cause a lot of clutch wear, so avoid that. You should be set for a long tie with only 3k miles on clutch if you avoid auto, uphill reverse, and use sport mode and manual shifting.