2006 F430 F1 service history since new over 19k miles.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2006 F430 F1 service history since new over 19k miles....

Discussion in '360/430' started by ttforcefed, Nov 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great. Spots will be roped off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Huh???

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lol!! Posted on wrong thread. Sorry!

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Haha u da man!!

Labman likes this.
  5. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Very good information, thank you. I’ll add to your data points, confirming other posts as well. 19k total miles and just completed annual ($5k) service for $6300 at the dealer. Gated manual, not F1.

Complete fluid change (inc clutch/brake, coolant, power steering, gearbox and diff, engine oil)
    Spark plugs
    Air filters
    pollen filter
    Oil filter
    New Gearbox washer and O-Ring
    New Accessory belt
    4 wheel alignment
    New alarm siren
    New hydraulic fluid dist Block
    A/C compressor fitting/line replacement
    A/C Evac and charge
    Adjust driver door striker
    Aim headlights

Note: the pollen filter and air filters really didn’t need replacement, they were clean but I went ahead with the service protocol. The fluid distribution block wasn’t leaking, but replaced as preventative measure since it was the old style. The alarm siren/chirp module was dead, literally battery was dead, but can’t replace just the battery so I agreed to a brand new module.

6. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Two clutch jobs at those miles is not normal. You wrote that you changed the clutch the second time for fun so we can count that off from the list. A clutch should last at least 30k in normal driving conditions. Actuator is also bad luck at those miles. Was the F1 system ever flushed?

Did you also count in the Capristo parts in the prices?

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes when they replaced the actuator.
    yes capristo parts are listed in the history. exhaust manifolds and hiflow cats

8. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    F1-fluid should have been replaced long before that. Every other year for me. The actuator can also be rebuilt for much less. Capristo parts are not really maintenance.

The dealer was really raping the former owner. With a really good Ferrari-indy and a good ability to find original parts on cheaper places you can drive a Ferrari much cheaper then that.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Jan 09
    Nov 10
    Jan 12
    Sept 13
    Sept 16

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    From one of the better independents locally who i just texted

“F1 hyd fluid has no real set replacement. To do it properly you would have to bleed the clutch & actuator. Actuator requires removing the exhaust to remove it to access the bleeders. Prob around 4-6 hours. Usually that gets done when it gets a clutch!”

11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    The F1 fluid should be changed every third year. Check you service schedule in the manual.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    And the mileage i put on every 3 yrs is irrelevant

13. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Oil gets old. Better to change it and be happy but each to his own.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Honestly i leave it to bradan and p1 to decide. Those are the only 2 independents i use depending on which cars i have at which house. I trust both 100 percent.

Labman likes this.
  15. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    September 2016 - 18,300 miles (inde)
    New clutch
    Remove and replace valve cover gasket
    Installed capristo exhaust manifold with heat blankets
    Annual service
    Total:$11,902

you must have got a good deal on the capristo headers and blankets..
    last I recollect, capristo header/blanket combo is somewhere in the range 5k+ alone..
    and new clutch parts/labor I would somewhere ~7k

also Im surprised F1 actuator failure on the 430.. I thought that was mainly a 355 issue..

16. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I need to revise this, total after some negotiation and FCA discount, was $5,466.88. the highest single service I've had. Typically my car is between $1k and $3k/year depending on parts replacement which are mostly due to preventative maintenance or OCD.

Also noted is that my car has received, and I have been continuing, a 5k service every 5k miles even though the Owners Service Book specifies the "major" services at 5k,15k, 30k, 45k, 60k... I have almost 20k miles and my car has had (4) 5k content services. Probably overkill.

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’ve got 18,400 miles on my 16M and (knock on wood) no engine/trans or major services other than annuals, still on first clutch. I did have battery replaced at some point. However, I do have to replace TPMS sensors and a sensor on my soft top.

Sent from my 16M

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have owned my '05 since new and my experience is much better. Judging from the destroyed wheels and quick brake and clutch replacement, I wonder about the treatment from the first owner. Mine was serviced by a dealer for the first 8 years and an independent since. I used to track it quite a bit so I did go through tires and brakes, but only one set of rotors so far. As I recall, rotors and pads cost about 3300. at the dealer. My car is a stick, so no tranny issues. It still has the original clutch at 29K miles. Annual service runs about $400. for odd years and $1100. for even. My only "major" was done at 10 years and cost about $2200. I replaced one wheel but I think it cost about $1200. I don't know where that $8000 cost for two comes from?!?

Dave

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you guys have first world roads, we have 3rd world roads in the metro nyc area. its not even dec and the potholes are out hence the wheels. again your $400 for annual service is due to where are located as a good independent charges about $800 to $950 for a basic annual around here.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    26 months since last oil change and approx 500 miles - blackstone oil test result:

The first sample from your Ferrari looks good. We'll start by introducing the universal averages, which show typical Ferrari 4.3L wear after ~1,800 miles of oil use. This oil wasn't run long, so most of the metal is just carryover from the last oil change. But with metals testing low and in a healthy balance, we've got not reason to suspect poor wear or mechanical problems. An oil run closer to the average interval should be fine. The TBN read 8.6 - lots of active additive leftover (1.0 or is low). No contamination is present and the viscosity was a 5W/40. Nice engine

21. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    These costs scare me a bit. Looking to buy a 430 and keep it for 1-2 years and don't want 10k in service along the way. Many years ago bought a 360 manual, drove it for about 1500 miles in 7 months and sold it. Lost zero money, had no repairs, etc. Hoping to do the same come summertime. 458 would nice but i think 430 is more realistic for me at this point.

22. Trent J

Trent J Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    TRENT JUNKER
    this was super helpful, thanks for posting and to everyone replying.

I'm headed my way towards my first super car and this makes me really consider going farther toward the 458 and skipping over the 430. Not quite ready, so no concrete decisions yet.

23. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #48 arizonaitalian, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    My datapoint from the Challenge Stradale I owned for 7 years (2011-2018) and 5600 miles (from 13,600 to 19,200 miles):

Total maintenance costs = $34,729 (~$5000/year with average of ~800 miles driven per year. Or about $6.20 per mile over my 7-year ownership period.)

Regular fluid/filter services, 1 clutch/fly wheel/F1 sensor, 1 failed exhaust manifold, 2 sets of tires, 2 new batteries, 2 belt jobs, 2 sets of spark plugs, 1 failed alarm siren, a few smaller odds and ends, and some front suspension bushings. All service done at the official dealer.

24. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    My 2006 430 issues seemed to stem from over 15 months of sitting in a dealership before I purchased it in 2016.
    It took quite a few thousands of dollars to get things right but I am happy with the result.
    The OEM headers are prone to cracking so I am having Fabspeed sport headers and blankets installed.
    My main regret is not searching for a 6 speed manual. I miss this feature. Every other Ferrari I have
    purchased was a 6 speed manual and to me there is something missing from the experience with the F1 tranny.
    I am most likely in the minority. It is probably due to my age and the cars I have enjoyed in the past.
    I feel the 430 is a great Ferrari and despite the various stories in this thread, it is pretty obvious
    that running these babies isn't cheap even with a comprehensive service history.
    It is worth the trouble in my opinion because there is always sense of occasion when you fire
    it up and take it for a drive. My 2 cents.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  25. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It actually doesn't seem that bad as a lot of costs do not necessarily apply to all owners - e.g. power warranty extension, broken wheels, replace clutch twice, Capristo headers (I got Fabspeed so there were cheaper :D). I didn't know the F1 actuator cost so much though(!)