2006 F430 Spider for $115,000? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2006 F430 Spider for $115,000?

Discussion in '360/430' started by rtajaly, May 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjsmd

rjsmd Karting

Apr 20, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Sports car and exotic sales always dip during winter due to the relative lack of decent driving weather, hazardous road conditions, salt, seasonal affective disorder, etc.

2. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    I think there's a HUGE difference between asking and actual selling price on these now. Stories and circumstances aside, this car just happens to be priced at what they want rather than the mistaken impression of its actual worth. Many of these circa-$159k cars are going for much, much less now.

The sad reality is that modern Ferraris depreciate and age just like any other car. These 430 Spiders will poke their noses under $100k fairly soon, IMHO.

3. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    But the car is in California . . . Or is it Vegas . . . Or Memphis . . . You may be right.

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    I doubt a good condition 430 spider will drop under $100k unless we end up a major depression and economic armagdon....this would represent less than 40% of the msrp!!!! But if they do it will be a screaming buy for a great car!!!!

5. rtajaly

rtajaly Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    I would have to respectfully disagree.

6. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Karting

Mar 3, 2009
    back in Jersey
    #31 Spider-Man, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Its a scam.. come on guys. 100-115k 430 spiders with only 15k miles? When-late 2010 maybe.

Someone is gonna get robbed when they go to meet to look at the car. If you believe the News media about the great depression we are in why dont you believe the stories about CRAIGSLIST being full of scammers, killers and robbers that are reported every day.

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Agreed. I have a bridge in New York, want to trade?

9. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Agreed......$115k is NOT the bottom of the market, unless it is a salvage title. YES, we all know, the market sucks. But, I am in Vegas, and so are 20+ people I know in the car business, and every single one of us would have run down and bought this car in less than an hour if it was real.

If it's too good to be true....IT IS; no matter how believable the guy's story is.

10. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    Some of you people need a reality check, these are CARS. They aren't precious little flowers. Cars. Not Flowers.

The fact that they've held their value so long has nothing to do with the little horsie on the hood and everything to do with E-Z credit. Now we get to see the market value of our flowers...I mean cars... get down to depreciation curves that more closely resemble other automobiles.

11. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    What facts do you have to substantiate your claim that it wasn't "real?"

12. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #37 swilliams, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
    Maybe the fact that the guys phone number is selling stuff in 6 other states and he is the original owner and selling ring tones and unlocked sell phones on craigslist. Do you really think that someone who paid $220k +( as the original owner would have in 06) would be down to selling ringtones and their 430 for pennies on the dollar yet they still have places to live in 6 states..

If you were a 430 owner with a car in Vegas with a California title, would you list it in Atlanta Craigslist, with a broker's phone number in Vegas to do that. A broker would have that car sold in 5 minutes. I would buy it for 115k with the front bumper missing. They would not need to list it on Craigslist to have 400 idiots calling about it.

Its just common sense. Good deals happen like this sometimes but they come from being on the inside line somehow, not craigslist.

Another fact that 430's are not going for 115k anywhere... recent dealer auction 430's

Manheim MMR.
    04/14/09 FAAO Regular $150,000 4,649 Avg YELLOW 8G A No
    03/10/09 W PALM Regular $168,000 4,358 Avg RED 8G A No
    01/15/09 RIVRSIDE Lease $144,000 23,660 Avg GRAY 8G P

If the deal was real and you think it is offer him 10k more to cancel the first deal that has finance pending and let him know your paying with a cashier check not a loan. It would still be a deal at 125k.

13. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Put everyone out of their misery and go buy that amazing deal for $115,000. It is sharp business guys, with that killer instinct, that will rise above the rest. ;)

14. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    lol!

15. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Duly noted. No reason?

There's no getting around that these are mass-produced cars that depreciate massively. They are most definitely NOT of the vintage Ferrari ilk. Just look at the 355's and 360's. There's no pixie dust about these - you buy one and in time you'll take a $100k+ hit. Given that used Ferraris have been bought on credit or perceived home equity that's dried up, and since a new one is about to make the 430 old-hat, prices will continue to fall.

Besides, we're only six months into the big hurt so a lot of the better-off haven't felt it at all. Give it another 18 months, and trust me, you'll have your pick.

16. rtajaly

rtajaly Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    The one reason I can give you is that I've been following the prices of Ferraris for the past 25 years. I remember when Dinos bottomed out in price in the 80s and were selling for $20-$25k. It was car that was mass produced by Fiat. Now you'll be paying $150k if you can find one. And then in the late 90s the price of 308s shot to over $70k--that's double the original retail price. Now you can find one in nice shape for around $30k-$35k, which is about what they sold for originally. An F430 Spider in that guy's ad's stated condition would be selling at around $180k at a dealership--you can do a search now and see for yourself.

Exotic car prices fluctuate, but they don't depreciate like regular cars. There are always little boys who dream of having one, and eventually find the means to fulfill that dream. Non-exotics don't elicit that kind of behavior. And no matter what the economy, there are people who will thrive--this was true in the Great Depression, and it's true now. Some of those people would be in the market for exotic cars.

That gentleman's ad in Craigslist is phony. Maybe he's dreaming. And maybe he's a scammer. But that ad is bogus. If anyone manages to get the VIN from him, then we can track it via Carfax and see where it's been, and where winds up going.

17. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Joe, we're dying for an update! What ended up happening? Anyone bought it? Did it exist?

18. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    Believe me, I would have bought it. I spoke to the owner (a retail developer in LV), who in fact confirmed that a broker in Memphis was putting it all over the net for him, and he said the car was sold. No scammer is going to tell you something is SOLD.

$115,000 is a completely realistic price. If Manheim is an auction, replete with dealers, then it can be assumed that Manheim is the wholesale floor. Think of how many people are selling homes, jewely, yachts, vacation property, stock everything else at 15% below the "market floor" to find liquidity and once you look at it objectively $115K is a very realistic price for a quick sale. According to the owner it also needed the 15K service- so add another $5,000 or so to the tally and all the sudden you've got a real car at a real price.

19. LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY Karting

Sep 13, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Why are people so sensitive about the depreciation of their cars?

I ordered in May of '08 and took delivery last November. Paid full MSRP on an F430 Spider (Roughly $300k when said and done). I may have timed the top of the market to the day (maybe to the hour).

And now I am going to go out and drive every last dollar of depreciation out of this incredible machine. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

20. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    Thank goodness- finally the voice of reason in this thread! :) Let's go for a drive tonight.

21. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The 15k isn't 5k. Remember, it doesn't have belts. I just got the 15k done a little early, and it was 2k.

Art

22. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I still can't believe some people continue to think this was real! I would bet if someone called sounding like a noob wanting to secure the car with a fast deposit they would be happy to oblige. Its not rocket science that cars depreciate and it has been even worse lately but wake up people. And to think he needed a "broker" across the country to dump a car for 40k under market!

23. Billdemart

Billdemart Karting

Mar 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Billy D
    Just like the housing market. Don't sell right now if you can afford to stay.

24. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK

The weather cleared, the sun came out, and I'm home for a bit after a spirited 2 hour top down drive..The last thing on my mind was depreciation on selling the car.. I bought from a reliable dealer, got a no story 1000 mile perfect car, and was willing to pay for the ease of doing a trade in plus Dealer service plus an a-one no question Ferrari.... period. The numbers I have seen thrown about on this thread, simply do not exist when one actually purchases a pristine no story 430.

25. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    yep and same applies to a 360 or any ferrari.. you want the best.. you pay.. bottom line.