2007 612 Scaglietti Pros/cons | FerrariChat

2007 612 Scaglietti Pros/cons

Discussion in '612/599' started by Mike Janzen, Mar 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Janzen

Mike Janzen Rookie

Mar 27, 2019
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Michael Janzen
    I’m fairly new to Ferrari’s, but getting close to purchase of an ‘07 612 with the F1 transmission. Does anyone have thoughts/warnings or recommendations on this year model vs. other 612s?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would only advise you to look at a mid 2008 or later year 612 before making your decision. These are known as OTO (One To One) models. The base price rose from $283K to $312K due to several upgrades. If the upgrades are important to you then skip the 2007, if not, then go for it!

3. Priley

Priley Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Pete Riley
    I'll chime in having recently taken delivery of my second 612. In the UK cars later the '06 cars will incur the higher road tax and heading up to '08 plates means a roughly additional 20% premium with their H/GTS carbon brakes and sports exhausts. My car has aftermarket back boxes and sounds stunning so a great sound is easily achievable on the older cars. Inside the switchgear is relatively fragile. Watch for heated seats failing/not switching off, broken window buttons and the ridiculously fragile wing mirror adjuster, all at least £500 to repair/replace. These and 360's seem to get through track rod ends (I think I'm correct with the part), which can be replaced with much more resilient Hill Engineering parts. Finally, forget Auto and leave it in Sport. Just epic.

brogenville and lee-o like this.
  4. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I agree with the comments of both Nospinzone and Priley. I have had my 07 for almost 4 years now and I am very happy with it. The OTOs did have the glass roofs, ceramic brakes, slightly faster shifting and the better suspension system. However, it is not earth shattering to me not to have those things but obviously if there was an 08 or later available that you liked at the right price point then it would be the“better” car. The benefit of many 07s over prior years is they and the later versions have the better Bose stereo system (mine does and I enjoy it—also a benefit of the 07 over the later years is that they were launching the Bose system in 07 and gave the 07 owners (not sure if all) free Sirius for the life of the car—at least mine has it and it is great).

I was laughing at Priley’s comment about the fragile mirror adjuster. Essentially the knob is on a plastic shaft that is easily broken. I broke mine in the first week and found you have to replace the whole assembly. I was “lucky” enough to find a used one in the UK for about $800 and had it shipped to me. Double that new! Maybe that was a good lesson to me regarding “Ferrari tax” (on a Ford it would have been $5 tops) Apart from that and a silly smog issue, my car has been pretty reliable and has not cost me that much to maintain.

I dont know where you are, but the last bit of advice is on smog. My 612 had a qualification in CA issue. If you are in CA and are thinking of importing from out of state then beware. 575, 599 and 612s have known problems getting all of their smog lights to set. In every state other than CA you can have 1 light that doesnt set and still pass. Not CA. So try to make sure it passes the smog test before you buy.

lee-o likes this.