2008 Quattroporte Reliability | FerrariChat

2008 Quattroporte Reliability

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Piper, Sep 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My wife would love a Quattroporte in the family. Just pondering, looking at a couple examples. I'd like to know what mechanical problems the 2008 Quattroporte GT S might be known for?

2. sanchezdds

sanchezdds Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2009
    California
    My wife is also interested in a Masserati for her next car, and I am also wondering the same. The nearest dealership from our house is over an hour away.

3. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bought an '08 QP GTS new and drove 46k trouble free miles. Can't recommend it highly enough - if there is any gripe, they are hard on tires! I really don't like the Pirellis but there is very little choice available.

The cam variators (sp?) were replaced under warranty, so that might be something to look for. I can't recall any other issues.

Btw, I replaced it with a GranTurismo S.

Best, Paul

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks. I received feedback from Josh at ECS of Virginia that it's a pretty solid car, need to be careful over electricals, motor mounts, oil leaks.

5. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Must be the wife car of choice for guys like us, as mine wants one as well after the lease is up. 26 more months, yowza.

I recall sticky interior buttons becoming an issue on hot climate cars?

6. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Blampee checked out a '07 automatic quattroporte I found in Omaha. My mother has wanted one for quite a while. Blampee gave it a thumbs up, I had all of the service records faxed to me for review that included the variator replacement. My folks the car in February of this year and love it with no problems thus far (35K miles)

7. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I own a 2007 Sport GT Automatic and have owned it for a couple of years. I think its the best value out there for a 4 door. Very reliable for me. Normal maintenance with oil yearly and all fluids every other year. I would buy another. You might consider a 2009 - I think that's the first year of the new engine (more HP)

8. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    To me best years are 07/08, best styling and full auto.

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Bob,
    I've been on the hunt for a ZF 07-08 Sport GT for some time now. Are there any in the area you are looking at? I might be able to give some opinions on them if so, as I've already seen most. :)

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's a blue/tan '08 GT S down in Texas I've been looking at, was just listed so you may not have seen it yet. Feel free to beat me to it, if you like it. There will be another. I'm in full car buying fever right now but really need to wait until the end of the month to see how business looks for the next year.

11. zzzdoc

zzzdoc Rookie

Mar 10, 2007
    I have put 12,500 miles on my 08 QP GTS. Driver's power window stuck down; fixed under warranty. Yearly oil changes, 2 new rear tires and nothing else. I've been very impressed with reliability and ownership costs. I'd like to move into a F430 but my wife would sooner keep the QP.

12. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This may seem picky, but the blue car at Boardwalk is misadvertised as a GT S. It is actually a GT.

Best, Paul

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Doesn't seem picky at all, and as a matter of fact is quite a big deal to me. Quite a big deal. How could you tell, BTW?

14. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    The GTS have darker colored wheels, and typically have alcantara seats. There are other subtle differences as well that I cannot recall.

Maserati life . Com has a thread somewhere that list all of the changes.

15. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Also, the GT S has a mesh grille in black with a chrome surround and all the other chrome and exhaust pipes are blacked out.

The brakes are bigger and have red calipers, the rear tires are slightly wider and the car sits about an inch lower, and I think it has 5 more horses!

The only badge referring to it as a Sport GT S is on the passenger side dashboard.

P

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's kinda funny, all that to make the car look badder and it's only five ponies :D I thought it was significantly more HP.

17. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Nope, but the exhaust sounds significantly more agressive.

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Bob So holding off on a Ferrari?

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Two different issues. I'm replacing my daily driver Cayenne TTS with 63k miles for a car with 10k miles and the same payment, or less.

The Ferrari, whatever it be, but it will be, will have to wait until the business picture clears up a little.

21. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
  22. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I now have a 2010 QP Sport GTS that replaced my 2008 Granturismo. Both cars were/are more reliable than my prior DDs that were mostly AMG cars. Only weakness I'd point out is that Maserati ergonomics are not as intuitive as the German brands. Ditto the comments on tire consumption, although the payoff in handling is worth it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ive never had a car grow on me as fast as this one has. The QP is beautiful and I'm very glad to hear that is a better 4 door sedan than it looks.

Im going for a 2008 Auto in white or silver. Done.

24. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Congrats Bob. Hope it all works out for you. I too am getting serious about my QP search. The "murder wagon" is going into the shop soon for scheduled service, and then off to market she goes!

I just joined PenFed, 1.49% APR baby! :) I hope to pick up a GTS, or at the least a Sport GT in the next few months.