2008 Quattroporte Reliability | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2008 Quattroporte Reliability

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Piper, Sep 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I think white and silver are both great options.

The GT I had was just a base model 4.2. I did find that the exhaust note was lacking and that has been made up for in spades with the GTS. I'm not sure but I think that all the S models have the same exhaust as the GTS. I would suggest that you test drive an S so that you can decide if you like the difference. For me it is transformational. I think that the GTS (either GT or QP) is one of the best sounding street cars that can be purchased. Plus, you get the benefit of being able to turn it down when you need to make a call or draw less attention.

2. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    More and more I get calls from guys interested in getting out of German sedans and giving the Maserati a try. The switch from the automated manual to a traditional automatic significantly improves reliability and ownership costs.

The variators are one of the expensive concerns on that car that remains until the 4.7L engine, to date at least.

I'd also like to note that motor mounts and front lower shock bushings are becoming common repair items. I'm finding this in car that are pushing the 30k marker, as opposed to the 10k marker.

The only other items of concern that stand out is wear and tear in the interior. Typical Italian upholstery, very "nice"...but more fragile than the German stuff. Make sure the seats and door panels are nice still.

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I received some adverse information on the car and tried to back out, but they want to keep my $500 deposit. I could simply blow them off or take it up with the credit card company, which I'm reasonably certain would work out in my favor. The T&C's that they referred to weren't posted on cars.com and they took my deposit over the phone, so I never clicked buy now or agreed to their conditions.

But I've gone ahead and lined up the PPI for tomorrow anyway. There's a chance the info was on the wrong car, or was incorrect. And I feel like calling their bluff. They'll give me my deposit back if I find problems, and I'll spend more than my deposit finding them. I've told them if they let the PPI go forward and I find obvious problems I'll know they knew about, I'd get my money back and make the car famous on appropriate forums, not to mention posting a review of the dealer along with it.

I do hope the PPI goes well. With the information I received, I won't stop at a standard PPI. If the PPI turns out fine, we're digging deeper, compression, gearbox, etc. if I buy it, it comes with a 3mo/3k mile powertrain which will start with me driving it back 21 hours from Houston. It's going to be one vetted car by the time I'm done with it, or one expensive experience to grow on.

Meanwhile, FOW is trying to sell me a GranTurismo for about the same price. Too bad it's black. I hate black. Hate black. Did I say I hate black?

4. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    The same price!?!? Do tell. I'll take it if you pass.

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There are reasons. PM sent.

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No purchase so far...back to the drawing board.

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    PPI Show problems?

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    The black/red GT-s at FOW is sold as I was told ... I've been on look out for a GT .

9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
  10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The comment was made by the dealer that they didn't expect me to find anything wrong with the car because two other potential buyers had the car PPI'ed and no problems were reported. My bull**** meter pegged of course. Who spends $hundreds on a PPI and then doesn't buy the car? Twice? I got to a point where calling their bluff seemed a fool's errand.

Thanks, but the mileage is higher than I'd like. There's an '09 up in Manhattan that would work. I've made an informal offer. Trying to wait for FOW to find one, but it's hard when the fever is burning.

11. gregg tipton

gregg tipton Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    McLean, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Gregg Tipton
    21,000 miles on my 2005 QP and no serious complaints other than multiple transmission software updates and a faulty power window switch. If I could purchase new again, I'd pick a colour other than silver which now that I'm used to the body styling makes it look like a Buick Riviera or LaSabre from across the street.

Congrats picking up an '07, the seller removed the link you posted. What colour is it?

Gregg

12. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Doesn't FoW have a nice 09 in Grigio? Looked really nice on the webpage.

-dsd

13. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    LFSC has a brand new (never titled) 2008 QP sport for 80k, the owner drives it from time to time. I believe it's Grigio.

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We don't like the QP in Grigio, or black, or white. We like it in blue or burgundy. Here's a relatively local target vehicle in Manhattan. We love this car. I love this car. And I'm working price with them while trying to hold out for Franklyn at FOW to find one like it.

http://inventory.manhattanmotorcars.com/web/used/Maserati-Quattroporte-2009-New-York-New-York/4630636/

If you look at the Cayenne TTS I'm selling, since I'm too stupid and crazy about car buying to just keep it, you'll notice a recurring theme.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=100405207&listingRecNum=9&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20081%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20791%26rd%3D30%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D20176%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=3

And I'm really being a tightwad on this as well, not willing to spend much, so the range of GranTurismo's I will spring for is tight. I'd take grigio's in a GT, but hate black, so again, limited number of vehicles at the extreme cheap end in a color I like. I'm a low ball, hard sell right now and want a primo exotic ride. Everyone loves hearing from me, of course.

15. gregg tipton

gregg tipton Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    McLean, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Gregg Tipton
    Wow! The manhattan QP in dark cherry is dazzling. The Maserati badge on the decklid, in my opinion is gorgeous, makes a really bold statement.

Piper I'm curious about the Cayenne, does it have the full-length power moonroof? My son is heading off to Princeton next year and this looks to have the highway safety of a German car without the higher price for a lower mileage vehicle. Interesting...

Good luck with your search and stay positive.

Gregg

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No, this one doesn't, but my last one had the panorama roof and a lot of evidence of repeated services on it. This is my third Cayenne, 9+ years in an S, a Turbo, and now a Turbo S. I don't know if that's a common tale, but I know at least that one Cayenne had a lemon of a panorama roof. Never broke again on my watch but the interior piece over the pillar was misshapen and never fit right from being removed and replaced too many times, and the Porsche service guys said they could tell it was extensively repaired more than once. Worth some research to make it isn't a common failing.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Cayenne TTS, WOW, nice way to send you son off to college. In 2009 I send my daughter off with a 1989 Barretta GTU, which i bought not running and she had to learn to fix if she wanted a car in school

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    With the Billy Boat exhaust, too. This car would be the kickass ride, safe and fast.

I look at my own ad and I want to buy my own car again. I really am not well.

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    No it had Magnaflow .

Bob, the way you change cars you ain't right. Get a dealers license, you will save on tax

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My saving grace is I talk about it and obsess over it far more than I actually do it.

21. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I do the same thing and usually talk myself out of it ... unless it makes since at the time

22. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  23. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Agree. Almost without fail, when someone pulls up behind ours at a stop light you can see them mouth the word M-A-S-E-R-A-T-I as they read along. :)

24. sierrafoxtrot

sierrafoxtrot Rookie

Dec 17, 2008
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
  25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name: