2009 F430 Challenge car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2009 F430 Challenge car

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Christopher Winfield, Dec 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #26 johnhoughtaling, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    I just paid 210 for a new one. But for used ones, dan is correct 160-180. Street cars are not a good comparision for 360C or 430C

There's two years left for 430. 2011 both 430 and 458

2. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #27 cwwhk, Dec 4, 2009
    But who's going to shell out big money to race in an uncompetitive car against the 458C in 2011?

3. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #28 johnhoughtaling, Dec 4, 2009
    I guess it's a question of what big money is. Point is that 160-180 is a used 430ch price now. Yes you can buy a street car much cheaper. If your asking what a 430C will be worth next year? Don't know but a good 360Ch with areo mods is 90-100k, and hasn't moved in about 4 years. I expect Good 430C prices will be over 150 as elligible cars next year.

Problem is that if you want one they are pretty rare. And most guys running the series keep two.

430C values can swing 80 grand on condition and state of the brakes. I passed on a crappy one for 120 (which needed 35K) I decided to buy a new one at 210 bc I can run races in the next two years starting with a new car and (hopefully) lessen cost/problems issues later.

Also, no one is that sure how available the 458 will be at the start of next season.

4. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #29 cwwhk, Dec 4, 2009
    I don't know about US market specifically, but now a days very good condition 430C is not that difficult to find at reasonably good prices. As for 360C with aero kit, my team mate just recently sold his super nice example with hotted up engine with spare parts for $80K to a Japanese buyer. I'm keeping my 360C because I'm quite attached to it. If I were to sell my 430C, modified to almost GT3 spec, I'd be quite happy with a $225K offer.

No one knows what a particular car will sell for. Given the right circumstance, he can very well get $225K for this 430C. For me I don't see the rationale of paying a premium for a car that is uncompetitive in 12 months time. I'd rather just buy a reasonably good condition 430C to race for 1 year, then sell it and pony up for a 458 in 2011. In fact this is the dilemma I am faced with right now for GT3 Asia series. Shall I stick with my 430 now and have a uncompetitive 2010 year against Lambo LP-560 GT3 and possible Audi R8 LMS GT3 entries, or shall I jump ship and write a check for the better car for 2010, then switch back to 458 GT3 in 2011.

Oh by the way, you have a beautiful Miura.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    John, you need a thicker skin, this is the internet, I wasn't the one that posted the ad, if you can't handle it you don't have to.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    John, below is exactly what I posted questioning the ad, please clarify ASAP if you are saying I called Chris a liar.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  8. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    As I said I made a mistake. After talking with the owner today, I realized I misunderstood what he was saying in translation. The car should have between 10-20 hours. Some of the others quite rightly questioned my mistake... And I do have a thick skin as I have had to deal with the poor manners for quite some time... it would seem that you take yourself a bit too seriously. A polite statement would have brought the error to my attention and I would have thanked you for it. Additionally, I would have acquired the supporting documentation. Fortunately there are a lot of people here that are genuinely helpful and polite. I will end the discussion now. Might I suggest Buddhism and meditation... it will bring about calm and peace. Happy Holidays. "For your enthusiasm Rob, I will drop the price to $220,000 (but just for you)...sometimes abrasiveness is rewarded huh?

Kind Regards,
    Christopher
    xo

9. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

You are incorrect.
    360 and 430 challenge cars have VIN numbers, the only difference is that a sequence of "zeros" is put into the VIN to designate that the car can never be road registered, it gets flagged by the computer systems in place in registration departments.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    lashing out a little Christopher, you sure got your panties in a wad. decent chance I will buy a 430 C, but IMHO this one is a little above market.

Let me remind you of my very first post in this thread, no need to thank me. I was the first person that brought it up.

11. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    Rob,

You are missing the point. This car is for the 2010 North American Challenge Series. I suspect the person who is buying it can afford the series and will want a fresh new car. A new dealer car is somewhere around 240K as I understand it. Only 430 Challenge cars can race in the series. I may be a bit off in pricing and I may have adjust according to the market. This car is fresh and someone can make an offer.

360c's cant race the series, and $130,000 F430CH cars are bound to have major issues. I suspect there is a buyer or two that would pay a premium on an unused 430CH.

C.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with you now, 10 hours, not raced, and this thing can find a home for 2010 season not much less than you are asking.

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "You are missing the point. This car is for the 2010 North American Challenge Series. "

You are missing a really important aspect of the value of the car, see my post, above, about 430C eligibility. I recently bought a new 430C and have no interest in the Challenge series.

14. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Rob

I agree. You didn't call him a liar. Sorry. Maybe I'm quicker off the start than even you? :)

the 430C for 120 was the same one at 129. I heard it sold to a really good guy. He will probably have to spend 30K on it and may still have a deal.

Ok. Now this racer has to go to bed bc we have an ice race tomorrow in Finland, I mean Houston.

15. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    The link that Rob provided for the $129,000 challenge car was one that I was selling. It just sold to an individual in Florida for $115,000. Great deal. There are mechanical needs that were clearly listed and he had a third PPI done on the car. He'll need to add approx. $22k-$29k depending on where he has the work done but he'll have a nicely sorted car ready to race for $137k-$144. A very happy customer.

I have access to a brand new 2009 challenge car with 0 hours and 0 miles for $225k so this one with 10 hours is clearly over priced at $220k. $200k is tops in my opinion.
    Ron

16. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    like others pointed out already, they do have a VIN, and it's at least stamped into the chassis under the passenger seat. The car should have accompaning papers as well. It should read like this: ZFFEX63X000xxxxxx, the last 6 digits reflect the Serial Number.

Matthias Urban
    www.vinbook.com

17. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    correct...........mine does

18. Matthias Urban

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    and shows what Serial Number? :)

19. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

20. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    and the 3 zeros reflect its status for non registration

21. Matthias Urban

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    ah, the Melbourne Motor Show Car! Thank, you, Sloane!

Matthias

22. Matthias Urban

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    Sorry to correct you, Sloane,

but outside of the US, all VIN show the 9th to 11th digit as a Zero, has nothing to do, if the car has got registered or not. In the US you do have a mathematical check-digit-system what you do not have in other countries. The first pages of my Book "The Ferrari Serial Number Manual 1947 to 2007 - The Raab Files revisited" gives a complete introduction to this, but if out off stock (they sure will have some at FML) or you do already have other utilities to kill flys, Edvar van Daalen explains the composition of a VIN very well on his website: http://red-headed.com/index2.html.

Best

Matthias

23. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    didnt know that..cheers

well my info is incorrect, the registration department in Aust and in particular Tasmania reckon that becuase of the "zero's" the VIN is not complete, thanks for clarifying

bg

24. Matthias Urban

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    Christopher,

on eBay again, still no Serial Number?

Best

Matthias

25. uss tt

uss tt Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2006
    GMT-6
    EBAY has trouble accepting the VIN of the Challenge Cars, if my memory serves me...it can be provided in the description though.

Also, NO titles for Challenge Cars....Bill of Sale only....no registration fees either :)