2010 Cali Airbag System Failure....Cable in Drivers Door, any reason I shouldn't change it myself? | FerrariChat

2010 Cali Airbag System Failure....Cable in Drivers Door, any reason I shouldn't change it myself?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FrancisK, Mar 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Hi all, thanks again for any help. Just had my 2010 Cali diagnosed by the dealer as I would like to have the power warranty extended. I am getting an "airbag system failure" and apparently it's a common issue with the airbag cable in the door for the side airbag as the connector pins go bad.

It's a $50 part:

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part/37359/ferrari/254953/door-air-bag-cable.html

I'm less than a half banana mechanic and this is my first Ferrari but I can remove a door card and change a cable, is there any reason I shouldn't just knock this out myself instead of giving the dealer $1700 to do it?

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
  3. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Thank you sincerely for the reply, which part number specifically should I be looking at? So this isn't something where I just take off the door card and change the cable?

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    it would be either part 4 or 5 depending on what door you need. What actual part number will depend on how the car is equipped and what market it is in.
    This should be confirmed with proper diagnosis. I have only ever seen problems between the body harness and the door harness bulkhead fitting. There is always the possibility you need something different.

5. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    You would still need someone with the right equipment to reset the computer or the car will keep indicating that there is a fault in the system.

6. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Alright....thank you for the guidance.

7. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    How did they determine the cable was the root cause? Curious to know. Thank you!

8. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

They were able to manipulate the warning light by messing with the cable apparently. The car had been previously serviced by them for the same issue and they had tried simply cleaning the contacts but the issue returned obviously.

9. rajabf

rajabf Rookie

Jun 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Rajabf
    Greetings,

I have the same issue exactly and same year car, sometimes the error goes away sometimes it does not. The dealer also manipulated the wire and problem was solved temporarily, I would appreciate instructions on door panel removal and parts to order, if anyone has the knowledge kindly assist us.
    Thank you

10. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Not sure if it's helpful info or not but they "fixed" it and a month later it came back, I'm just going to wait until the recall to have them address it again.

Also from my research my specific issue wasn't in the door card otherwise I would have easily fixed it myself, it was in the dash and I wasn't going to tackle that. Not on a modern Ferrari...

11. rajabf

rajabf Rookie

Jun 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Rajabf
    Ok so finally after 1 year this is the final result, it’s fixed, I had to order an airbag wire and a door harness, the original part number was replaced with a newer version and this has solved it finally 256459 and 256455 one of them will show up as no longer produced the new one is the upgraded version and I believe solves the issue. Good luck hope this eventually helps someone just pm if anyone needs further clarifications