2010 Cali tender crapped out, need help with options please..... | FerrariChat

2010 Cali tender crapped out, need help with options please.....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FrancisK, Jan 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Alright, I know a lot of this stuff has been discussed to death and I've gone through the threads but I'm having a hard time pinpointing what I need here exactly From researching I've decided to go with this unit:

https://www.batterysaver.com/store/p78/2365-lcd.html

Does anyone have any input on that? Does someone suggest a different unit? I've been shying away from CTEK simply because this stock one was a CTEK and it crapped out on me plus this one was highly recommended from what I researched.

Regardless where I'm stuck is the connector I need for it, I would like to use the stock input in the trunk. I saw the thread outlining making your own but to be completely honest that probably wouldn't be a good option for me as I don't have any soldering experience and I don't want to take chances with my Ferrari. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for?

Thank you!

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    eBay has them ..or juicemyride

Don't know which off hand you have

Not cheap

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Go with the CTEK MUS 4.3 test and charge. I use them on all my cars. Won't overcharge. You can buy extension cables to to get the wires out of your way.

Ray

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Best product out there in my opinion. I know the guy that makes them a little. In electronics manufacturing and has a car and motorcycle collection so made them because he thought all the others were cheap.

I have a bunch of them and unlike every other one out there have never had one fail. Some are over 10 years old.

5. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Thank you guys, what should I be searching for specifically when looking for the adapter? That's the part giving me the biggest trouble, does it have a specific name?

6. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    I think I answered my own question just now, I'm looking for a "3 pin" adapter. I see they are available for CTEK but I'm assuming that won't work with the battery saver brand tender......

7. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Yea from my research is it a better option than the CTEK but the issue becomes is there a 3pin adapter for it....?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I never use the factory plug. They are never in a convenient place. His comes with a plug to hard wire to car where ever is best for your situation.

I refuse to sell junk so have been selling theirs to my clients for a long time.

9. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

I get it and I agree that they are the best option from my research but I'm not looking to make alterations to the vehicle and I don't mind the trunk input it actually works for me. So with that being said I'm assuming the battery saver brand isn't an option for me then right....?

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In your case I guess not unless you want to adapt the Ferrari cord to that unit.

11. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
  12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I own several different battery tenders and per Rifledriver, I do like the Battery Saver from Granite the best. One nice thing, if you have power outages, when power is restored, the Battery Saver will start charging again. A Ctek will not, as you have to activate it by pressing the mode button to get it going again. So unless you are present to do that, your battery will continue to drain...Most brands have either a power or mode switch to start them. They are not a good choice if you have power interruptions.

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Which is easy enough to do. There are tutorials here on Fchat to modify your charging cord, or you can often buy them online.
    I simply made one using a thread here on Fchat that described where to obtain the plugs and pins, and adapted it to work with my Battery Saver...which uses the more common SAE plug. Only Ctek uses a proprietary plug.

Here is the adapter for the SAE to Ferrari plug used around 2008 to 2010
    Ferrari 458 SAE adapter for Battery Charger Die Hard Schumacher Foval Charger | eBay

That price is crazy, I made my adapter for like $35 or $40, using the instructions in the thread here on Fchat

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Do as you feel what's right for you but the CTEK is a very adaptive tool. FWIW, Jay Leno uses nothing but CTEK chargers which is where I learned of them. I even bought the CTEK Li-Ion charger for my anti-gravity battery. They perform flawlessly. The C8 Corvette charger is actually a CTEK.

Ray

15. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    The CTEK comes with a "comfort connector" which has eyelets which connect directly to the battery and has three LEDs which show battery condition when not plugged into the charger. The also sell an 8 foot extension cable if needed. You can close the car door on the charger cable: The Ferrari dealer does it all the time and I did it for two years with no ill-effects.

Best wishes.

Ray

16. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    vraa and FrancisK like this.
  17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The Granite Battery Saver comes with the same accessories and also has an LCD display of battery charge level and voltage.

18. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I have 3 different charger/tenders.1, a CTEK5.0; 2. A battery Saver (Granite) https://www.batterysaver.com/store/p78/2365-lcd.html
    and a battery minder
    https://www.batteryminders.com/2012agm-12v-charger-maintainer-sealed-agm-lead-acid-batteries

all on an agm Battery. I made an adapter box with gauges and posts on it to clamp charging cables on whatever charger I'm using and from the adapter box a single SAE 2 wire plug to the charging port behind the seat. You have to check polarity because it becomes reversed. I have run some tests between all the tenders, and the Granite will charge the battery to a slightly higher resting voltage. I believe it is a great product. If you can splice wires you could use this charger with your old CTEK wire from your new charger, but be careful and double check the polarity to make sure the positive output from the charger is going into the positive input on the charger plug.

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    FrancisK likes this.
  20. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
  21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you saw my post, I mentioned it is available, though at a crazy price: Ferrari 458 SAE adapter for Battery Charger Die Hard Schumacher Foval Charger | eBay
    You can make your own following the parts and instruction from here: DIY (kumari.net) I think it cost me at the time, maybe $30. Parts are more now, so might cost you $40.
    There is also a long thread by the same person here on Fchat. I followed the instructions, but made mine with an SAE plug to work with my Granite Battery Saver. The SAE plug is what every other battery tender manufacturer uses, other than Ctek. I believe Ctek wants to capture their own accessory cable market by using a proprietary plug.

FrancisK and alex like this.
  22. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    You can also use the alligator clips and connect the battery tender in the front (engine) positive and negative battery terminals. I first wanted to use the build in plug in port in the trunk but then I would have to use a too long extension cord.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I'm on my second CTEK. When this one dies, and it will, I will move to another brand. CTEK has nice marketing and slick packaging, but they cheapen out on the electronic internals. This guy has multiple videos on CTEKs and shows what the problems are.

f355spider and Rifledriver like this.
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have put a lot of them and the big expensive Ferrari factory chargers in the garbage.